Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: blankets for shelter

blankets for shelter

CCL mentioned this in her thread and I am working on some myself. Mine are about the size of a baby blanket and have batting in between washable poly/cotton. No handquilting - just handtied with heavy yarn, double tied every six inches on so - enough that the batting does not shift. I think the size is about 17x23 (allowing for seams) so one yard of 48" fabric is enough for *two. Or, I may get some flannel to use on one side. It should fit nicely in a cage or carrier and I hope it will go home with the kitties!! But whatever they choose to do with them is fine. Sew it like an inside out pillow case, back to back with the batting and turn and stitch the final seam. If anyone has better instructions, or knows what the shelters prefer - please let me know!! The old blanket is an excellent idea and I am sure much cheaper than the batting! Thanks!!

* edit I said a yard makes one but it actually makes two!..it will make FOUR if you use a plain muslin for one side.
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 01-29-2004 at 06:48 PM.

For those that aren't sewers but can knit or crochet, we also use small knitted blankets to warm the cages at adoption day events.

Deb - would you post a picture of one you've made? I want to make some and have a sewing machine but I'm still beginner and not quite sure what to do. I'm teaching myself how to sew as I go and I've only made a few things.

I did read that if you use batting you should make stitches across the blanket to keep the batting secure so does that mean I just use a decorative stitch to make a quilted looking pattern across the blanket?

From Decker with Love

Originally posted by jazzcat
    Deb - would you post a picture of one you've made? I
    Hey Lori - you get more than you asked for I went and sewed one up to see how long it takes also and it takes less than an hour. I took some pics along the way - now this is just my way - there are probably lots of good ways but this is very easy. First I cut two pieces of fabric and one piece of batting, pin the fabric right sides together and the batting against the wrong side on top and pin together..sew around three sides..

Then turn it inside out and you will have the pretty side out, batting inside, and one open side....

Then pin that open side together, tucking in the raw edges and catching the batting - I use a zigzag stitch for this.

Here it is finished...backside...

frontside...

One yard of fabric makes four of them, if you use plain muslin for the backing or the yard can make two if they are printed on both sides.
    To quilt - Just make a few straight lines, maybe diagonal with a large stitch, several times across the quilt should do it! Or if the fabric has a large pattern, you could simply outline parts of the pattern and they would stand out and hold the bat in place at the same time! I am headed to Wal-Mart to see if I can find some cute pet themed fabrics. So far I have used pieces I have picked up over the years and hoarded. I would like to find something with pawprints if I can. I think I will also start using a flannel or lightweight solid as the backing so there is only print on one side.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 04-20-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Since I never make anything from scratch (except chili and stew) I go through my comforters every once in a while to look for wear. If there are any tears or anything, I'll cut them up in squares, stitch them and have instant kitty comforters!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Since I never make anything from scratch (except chili and stew) I go through my comforters every once in a while to look for wear. If there are any tears or anything, I'll cut them up in squares, stitch them and have instant kitty comforters!!!
    Now THAT is a great idea!! I have some old comforters and bedpreads that I keep just for extra warmth, etc ... I am off to take a look!!...........
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 01-31-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Deb - Thank you for the step by step pics!! That really helps me. I've got lots of remnants that I bought to learn how to sew on and some of them are very large so I can make blankets with them.

I'm going to check at JoAnn's Fabrics for more remnants because they really discout them.

I like the comforter idea but I had a major fall clean out here and donated all my old comforters and blankets - darn! Oh well, they went to a good cause too - the local mission.

From Decker with Love

That is soooooooooooooo nice of you to do! They look great and I'm sure the lucky recepients of these cuddly blankets will truely appreciate them.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Hey guys - I've got some left over yarn from other projects that I can use to crochet blankets/pads. Is 17 inches x 23 inches (as mentioned above) the prefered size for the carriers?

I confess, I've never measured our carrier.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

For all those interested in sewing, quilting, crocheting, knitting, (or by any other means) making Snuggles to donate to shelters in need, here is the website that offers patterns, recommended dimensions, shelters currently requesting, etc.

http://www.h4ha.org/snuggles/news/
    Last edited by AvaJoy; 01-24-2004 at 02:18 PM.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Thanks AvaJoy - Their website recommends:

14" x 14" for cats and small animals
    24" x 24" for cats and small to medium dogs
    36" x 36" for medium to large dogs

These sizes are just guidelines. The actual Snuggles don't have to be exact. They could be made out of acrylic yarn or cotton in any pattern or color that you choose. The ends should be double-knotted and fastened off long and woven through the work to prevent unraveling from washing and wear. They are best when they are made thick for comfort and warmth.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Well I just called my mom about this, we have been wanting to help cats for a very long time. We have taken in more than are fair share of stray's because STUPID people would drop them off in the park which was right behind are old house so we fed them and would let them in when ever they wanted. My mom doesn't have that house anymore so now we need a way to help and this seems perfect.

My mom knows how to sew, I have been wanting to learn how to sew, and this seems like the perfect way, helping animals and learning at the same time. What can be better than that?

I am going to call my local humane society on Monday morning and get sizes and see if they need them. If not there is another place around me that I also will be calling Monday morning. My mom has more than enough fabric right now and she loved the idea.

I would love to be able to foster cats, but I don't think I could let them go. And I know I can't afford it right now. So I'm glad I will be able to help in some way shape or form.

Katie

P.S. Thanks for the great idea sirrahbed and CCL!

Actually it was Avajoy who started the whole thing in another thread. Look what you got going Avajoy!! YEA!! Lots of kitty blankets for the homeless furbabies!!
    When I talked to the shelter yesterday they also told me that they can use any pieces of fabric that are big enough for a cat body to stretch out on. They use them for the spay and nueter clinic. She said they lay down a piece of fabric on the stainless steal surgical table under each kitty. I also asked about sizes and she said they take anything!!
    It sounds like anything and everything can be used. At least here in my local shelter, but I would guess it's the same everywhere.
    Isn't this wonderful??! I'm sure the kitties and the shelters will appreciate this more than we will ever know.
    I just love PT people!!

I called a few shelters in my area, none of which were open. So I decided to call a few vets after my mom and I talked about it. The vet I called is an emergency vet clinic which is open 24/7 I asked them if they needed anything like this and they said that they do. The woman I talked to said that the staff brings in blankets and towels that are old, and they are starting to run low on them. That all the staff has brought in as much as they can. So my mom and I are also going to make some from them as well.

On monday morning I still plan on calling the shelters back and finding out if they need them, if so my mom and I will also make them for them as well. My mom and I already have it all set up. She has more than enough scrap fabric that we can use for now, when we run out she will buy more then the next time I will buy more. I am going to take alot of the fabric home with me so I can cut it then once a week I will run all the fabric over to her house so she can get sewing on them. On my days off from work I will be over there this week working on them, so we can take some to the vets office within the next couple of weeks.

Just wanted to say this place is really inspirational when it comes to helping out cats in any form of need.

I wish there were as much focus on it over here too - perhaps there is, but just not in my area.
    Inspired by a bunch of threads here, I'm gonna look into that aspect of being a cat person now too!