Thread: Kitty

Kitty

Oh what a beautiful girl you are Kitty! I just loved your story and am so thankful that your rough start in life has been eclipsed by such a loving human. I am glad you allowed your human to stay, sweet girl! I love your little costume and at first I thought you were a black and white tux girl but it looks like you have a lot of brown. Either way you are beautiful!

What a precious kittykat!
    Congrats sweet one!

Oh Kitty, what an exquisite fur baby you are dear girl. Your blue eyes are so enticing! I could go on and on about your physical beauty. But no one could say it better than your loving, adoring human!!! I can only say I agree 100%! And one other thing. I also agree with your guardian that adopting an adult kitty is a wonderfully rewarding experience. The return is priceless! Just look at you and all the joy you have brought into her/his life! Congratulations to you Kitty, out sweet and loving, demure and refined, blue-eyed beauty, Cat of the Day!! I hope you have a very special day of celebration filled with extra treats and lots of extra special loving!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Hello Kitty! That is the same expression my Edwina gets on her face when I costume her. ("I just CANNOT believe you are doing this to me again. Pleeze.")

Tolerate your skinfolk -- you are very loved!

I really really really want to know how long it took Kitty to become relaxed and happy. I have a new adult cat living under my sofa. He's a former show cat and WHEN I get my hands on him (rarely) he's happy to be petted and purrs a bit but mostly he just stays clear of all human contact. How long does it take? I've had him about two weeks.

Kitty! You're such a lovely girl! such a wonderful story-you buy a house and get an extra-special surprise bonus-a friend for life!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Kitty- black coat with blue eyes? What a stunning combo! Congrats on being COTD on the first day of November!
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

Dear Mademoiselle Kitty,
    Sorry to have missed praising you on your
    Very Special Day.
    I love your eyes and Beautiful coat!Is that
    a 'kitty snuggie' you are lounging in?
    Congratulations little Lady for being our
    CAT OF THE DAY ,and also First COTD for the
    month of November!!!You are a Special girl
    and Very Much loved !!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by Peaches:
    <STRONG>I really really really want to know how long it took Kitty to become relaxed and happy.</STRONG>
    Peaches,

It's really different for each cat. It's not unusual, from what I have read, for a cat to hide for the first few days or even weeks s/he's in a new home. It sounds like your cat will probably loosen up, since he will at least allow you to pet him sometimes. I think the important thing is positive reinforcement and not scaring the cat by forcing attention on him when he doesn't want it.

I haven't had an extremely shy cat, but I read some advice in a book by Nicholas Dodman called "The Cat Who Cried for Help" that sounds like good advice to me if your cat persists in his shyness.

He suggests systematic desensitization to whatever the cat is afraid of (in this case, people). "... [A]pprehension is reduced at each level of exposure to the stimulus by avoiding the negative consequences previously associated with it."

What he did was to wait until the cat was somewhere it felt comfortable, then join her in that room and close the door. He and his wifre would sit down on a couch on the other side of the room from the cat with a bag of cat treats. (They'd make sure the cat hadn't just been fed.)

"Step one was to allow Cinder [his cat] tp desensitize to ur presence from her vantage point under the furniture," he says. "We literally just sat there and read, hour after hour, night after night. Prior to each session I would slide a food treat across the floor, trying to get it provocatively positioned a foot or so from Cinder's retreat."

After a week of this, the cat put a paw out to get the treat, and in several weeks the cat was becoming more confident in getting treats that landed a little farther away, "although she would scuttle back to safety quickly once in possession of the spoils." But "[e]ventually she became almost blase about retrieval, porgressively gaining in confidence to the point where she would take treats from the couch text to us and ultimately from our hands. ... [A]fter that it was only a matter of time before she would sit on our laps to be petted."

He says the whole process took several months, with about a month between each stage.