Thread: Cat Dandruff?

Cat Dandruff?

Dandruff, is that how you spell it?

Anyways, despite Amelie's request not to talk about her hindquarters in public (she is a lady after all), I need to ask for some information. She has what seems to be dandruff on her bum, by the base of her tail. It does not seem to annoy/affect her in anyway, but I was just wondering if there is anything I could do to get rid of it? Is bathing the only option (Amelie hates that)?

Brushing them will help the dandruff. Specially in the winter months when the house tends to get dryer because of the heat their skin/fur gets dryer thus the flakes.
    Also, since our gang is on a better food their fur is shinner and we dont have the dandruff problem (natural oils in food).
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Dandruff

Craftlady is correct. The same thing worked for us.
    Cammie had awful dandruff when we adopted her from the shelter. We didn't bathe her but brushed her very gently every day to get all the dead skin off. Once she adapted to her new food (Science Diet) her dandruff disappeared. At first we bought Nutranugget because it's the food they use at the shelter. We thought it would help her relax if she had familiar food. She wouldn't touch the stuff. Her coat used to be rough and dull but now it is glossy. Some of that could have been due to the stress at the shelter.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Yup, brushing will help. I use several different tools on Mystic who has the most dandruff of all 5 of mine. I use a kitty comb (for fleas actually), a kitty brush, and a shedding tool. Here are pictures of what I use. I have found the shedding tool to be the best in helping with the dandruff.

The one on a handle that loops back around is what I find to work the best.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Thank you all very much! I've started to brush her more frequently, which looks to be helping, or at least I can't see the dandruff then afterwards.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ruuuude comment

It does seem to be the more ... voluptuous, zaftig, ummm ... rounder cats that tend to have this trouble too. Apparently the slimmer cats have an easier time grooming themselves back there and we humans don't see the dandruff as much.

Livvy, my dimpled darling (dumplinged darling?), had a bit of a problem when she came to me -- she'd been used to a cheaper brand of cat food. The vet recommended a vitamin mineral supplement for her food that would add essential oils faster. Unfortunately she hated the stuff. (And it was expensive, too, which added to my irritation with the whole thing...)
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Ah! This must be what Lucy has on her back - I presume?? It is not near her little botty but on her back towards the base of her tail. I have certainly noticed this recently in the colder weather so maybe her skin is dry.

Any opinions on Evening Primrose oil or Cod liver oil to treat this?
    JulieG

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    My vet suggested adding Flaxseed oil to Mitzi's food for this condition. The food I'm feeding her has a good balance of oils and her fur condition is getting better, although she still is a bit, er, um .... zaftig.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Speckles gets a vitamin E capsule squeezed into her food once a week and that seems to help her "problem".
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.