Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shih-poo

Shih-poo

I'm looking for as much information as possible and pictures of adult shih-poo's.

For one, see Sassy:

when she was Dog of the Day

Search on the Dog of the Day home page for Shih - but be aware that not everyone calls them the same thing, as they are a mixed breed!

Do you have one? Why are you wondering about them?

Yes. I just bought a 13 week old male Shih-poo. I read as much as I could find, but only found info on Shitzus and poodles, nothing about the mixed breed. I named him Jacob and I have been enjoying him for a week now. I want to be the best parent I can be, so I want to make sure that I know all that I need to know. He is so adorable and very smart. I am already head over heels for him. I am trying very hard not to spoil him, I want to take him every where with me and feel bad when I have to leave him. I guess at this point I really want to know if I will have to take him for regular hair cuts and how big is he going to get.

The problem is that since he's a mixed breed, he could have a variety of traits from each breed. There's no guarantee of anything.

As far as the hair cutting, both shih tzus and poodles require regular grooming. Is his hair more like a poodle or a shih tzu? If you plan on keeping him long you must brush him TONS...both breeds get matted easily. If you don't have time for that, I'd take him and get a trim regularly. I'd suggest visiting a groomer even if you don't get a trim, they do other things such as clean the ears/clip the nails.

For the size can just figure out the approximate weight from the weight of both a mini poodle and a shih tzu. Give or take a few pounds from the average weight of each breed. Does he have fairly long legs like a poodle or the shorter legs of a shih tzu? That could tell you the approximate height.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    For the size can just figure out the approximate weight from the weight of both a mini poodle and a shih tzu. Give or take a few pounds from the average weight of each breed.
    Don't you think it's more likely that the pup was a mix between a toy poodle and a shih tzu? Just curious as to why you said mini

--I agree with what Wolf_Q said. You won't find specific information because your dog is a mix breed. There is no such thing as a purebred shih-t-a-poo so there isn't any set rule for what it's going to look like, what it's going to act like, ect. You're best bet would be to look up common traits of both breeds used in the mix and then go from there.

Good luck, and share some pictures if you have some.

Well, I don't know that much about poodles....but most of the poodles people bring in that they call "mini" are closer to the size of a shih tzu, and the ones they call "toy" are tiny, like the size of a chihuahua lol. I guess those would be the so-called non-existent size of "teacup" really, not "toy." Like I said, no poodle expert here! We don't even have a price differentation between mini and toy, just between mini and standard.

Of course I've also had people tell me they own a "teacup shih tzu."

I think it could have just as easily been a mini Poo as a toy.

Do you have any pics of Jacob? I'd love to see him. I love anything with Poodle!!!!! I have a Poodle/Bichon mix.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Well, I don't know that much about poodles....but most of the poodles people bring in that they call "mini" are closer to the size of a shih tzu, and the ones they call "toy" are tiny, like the size of a chihuahua lol. I guess those would be the so-called non-existent size of "teacup" really, not "toy." Like I said, no poodle expert here! We don't even have a price differentation between mini and toy, just between mini and standard.

Of course I've also had people tell me they own a "teacup shih tzu."
    I see. Well technically toy poodles are under 10" minis are between 10"-15" and standards are over 15". Of course we all know that the people breeding these dogs don't give a darn about the proper standards. It's just that a toy poodle is the first thing that pops into my mind when I hear about a shih tzu poodle cross, maybe because I see way more toys than mini's where I am. And of course it is easily possible that it could have been a mini.

I guess one thing you know about the two, they aren't supposed to shed. Which like wolf_Q said is that it is going to have to be groomed a lot! On both breeds of these dogs, their hair can mat up so bad, that it just becomes a solid chunck and is very hard to do anything but take it all off. I have groomed a few of these in my younger days. It was really awful seeing one come in that had not been properly taken care of. Sore spots underneath the mat.

You will have quite a job with the grooming part. So as you seem to love Jacob so much, I see no problem there. Like everybody else said, just research both breeds. You know there is going to something of each in Jacob.

I bet he is a really beautiful dog though, these mixed breeds like that are really very beautiful.

By the way Welcome to Pet Talk, I am sure you are going to love it here! You really do need lots of pictures. We would love to see pictures of Jacob, he sounds adorable.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Thank you all so very much for all your in put. I believe that I posted a picture in the pet gallery, but when I went looking for it, there were so many and I gave up looking after an hour. I wish there was a way to search the gallery by the pets name if we wished.

well I knowsomeon ewho has a cockapoo thats a cross between and standerd poodles, and and cocker spanial

my naighbores have a shih poo named maxx here he is
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Cali, that is a beautiful dog!

There is a way to find your post just do a seach at the top of the page and put your name in, then look for your post in the list that is brought up.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Cali I would not call that a shih tzu poodle cross. It doesn't even look like it has any poodle in it what so ever, nor does it even look like it has shih tzu in it??

Cali I would not call that a shih tzu poodle cross. It doesn't even look like it has any poodle in it what so ever, nor does it even look like it has shih tzu in it??
    I don't see the poodle either...shih tzu mix is possible, it but it definitely looks more like a peke mix to me. Cute dog!

I agree it looks like a tibeten spaniel(sp?)