Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PT prayers for my Hobbes; He's gone

PT prayers for my Hobbes; He's gone

Woke up this morning to Hobbes howling on the floor at the base of my bed. He always sleeps on the bed. Picked him up and put him on the bed and it was obvious he was in pain. Felt him around and he howled when I touched his right back leg. Didn't seem like the hip. Hobbes is um..portly so I thought that might be it. He's not a climber at 18lbs but I always feared when he jumped down from any height it would be his front skinny legs to be the problem.
    Waited till 9am for the vet to open. He drank some water and I took him to potty but he couldn't stand. Vet couldn't take me (damn holidays!) and suggested other possible solutions. I went to another vet that told me I could see me at 1. Possibly earlier if I wanted to wait in the waiting room. Hobbes was clearly in pain as he didn't eat and let me pick him up and put him in his carrier which normally requires towels, gloves and the element of surprise.
    Long story short, xrays (I didn't think it was brokken as he doesn't climb). Ankle swollen (who knew cats had ankles?) Bad breathe. Diagnosis..abcessed tooth infected. Bacteria in the blood steam. First affected is the joints. Sort of an arthritic thing. Got to take a fluid sample from the joint now that he is sedated for the xray. So far totaling $700. They don't do dental at this vet and call my original vet to schedule the tooth removal. End of day, $900 to figure out what's wrong and a likely $1000 to remove the offending tooth.
    My real sadness is how puny my baby feels six hours later. He's still in his carrier. Unheard of! He's not eaten, drank or pee'd since last night. Not a purr to be heard. From my big purr monster.
    I just want him to full Hobbsterness. Talk about bad timing. There's never a good time but rent is due in two days and I'm just scraping by with really crap credit. They were nice enough to do a three month payment plan but that's big bucks I don't know where it will come from.
    LOA do your stuff.
    Thanks for your positive thoughts!
    Last edited by kitten645; 01-02-2010 at 03:42 AM.

Oh dear, poor Hobbes and poor you, too. I know, it's as though cats' bad timing is built right into their DNA; they get sick on weekends and holidays. At least you were able to get it handled, though, poor guy. So, is it $1000 on top of the $900 or $1000 total?

A candle for Hobbes: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9870397
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

We are praying for Poor Hobbes.
    We wish you had Our Vet who often reduces the cost for the Found Ctas as he owns his own clinic and can set his own prices.
    We are praying that Big Hobbes is home soon.
    The Vet Bills may be high , but Our Pets are worth their weight in gold.
    Everyone says I am a fool for bothering wioth Michael at 18, but like Hobbes , hes a Dear Friend and worth it.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Poor Hobbes, prayers on the way.
    I've Been Frosted

Prays on the way for Hobbes!

Melissa

Oh no! I am so sorry Hobbes is not feeling well, and that it happened right when you didn't need it to. But when do we "need" our babies to get sick? NEVER!!
    Taz had a tooth pulled about 4 years ago. I don't remember how much it cost, but maybe you should check out other vets. I know our vet in Concord is much cheaper than the one we were going to in Walnut Creek. I don't know which vet you go to, but what about just asking at Bishop Ranch? I'm not sure of their pricing, but I've heard it is a good vet. Or I could even ask my vet. I'm not too far from you. Let me know what I can do to help you.

Hugs to you and Hobbes.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so very sorry about Hobbs. No, there's never a good time for them to be sick and in pain. The last time Max had a dental was in 2008 and it was only about $400 and some change for the full dental - he didn't need any extractions at that point. Then again, I'm in KA-NA-DA!

Prayers on the way for dear Hobbs and you Kitten.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Prayers for little Hobbes and for you as well, I hope things get better soon..
    astrid

I have spent between $1,200 and 1,500 on both my cats when they have been sick in the past. People who say you shouldn't spend that much on your cats have obviously never loved, or been loved by, one. You really have to pity them. Prayers for Hobbes are being sent.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Prayers for poor Hobbes!
    Hope this can be worked out quickly! Let us know!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Prayers for Hobbes! Let us know how he is feeling afterwards.

Poor baby. our prayers are with you and Hobbes. I know the feeling last spring we went through 3 vets and over 1300.00 to find out too late that ET had cancer.
    GILL & Crew;

Thanks everyone.

Thank you for all your good wishes. Please keep them coming as we are not out of the woods yet by a long shot. I can't stand to see my baby so miserable. I think the infection has gone too far. What a way to end the year/decade. $2000 in the hole and WORSE a puny kitty that I love with all my heart

Aww, I am so sorry Claudia. I lit a candle for you and Hobbes.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Prayers and good healing wishes and energies coming from us to Hobbes and you. And a candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...ng&cid=9875045
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery