Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Trooper is dying...

I think Trooper is dying...

Trooper is my betta fish. I normally don't get attached to fish, but I've had Trooper for almost two years. I've never been able to keep a fish alive for more then a month, so Trooper is very special to me. He isn't swimming around like he used too. I know he's getting old, but all he does is lay on the bottom the past few days. Even when I feed him. He used to fly to the top when it was feeding time. I'm bummed.

Is he in one of those popular things with the plant in it?

I know somebody whos beta died because she filled the vase up all the way to the bottom of the dish that was holding the plant, and the fish couldn't breathe. I guess you need at least a half inch between the bottom of the dish and the water.

I don't know if that's the problem but I just thought I'd pass her story on.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Thanks. Well, that's what he started in years ago. lol. The plant lasted about 2 hours. The cats ate it. He just lives in a giant vase. I think it is just old age because nothing else has changed. How long do bettas live?

I just looked it up for you:

"An average betta lifespan is 2-4 years. The average age of a betta when you buy him in a pet store is 6 months, although this can vary dramatically."

I guess that would explain it!

I used to have a betta. When he died I was horrified. I had nightmares about it! He just looked sooooo sick and it took so long for it to happen!

I know it's just a fish but still - it's a life! So I know how you feel.

I hope it is something from which he can recover, but even if it is just old age, and his time is drawing to a close, you can know he's had a better life than many a betta, and is a trooper to last this long. Finny angels wishing you well, Trooper.

I guess Trooper lived an especially long life...he came from Walmart, of all places.

2 years is good for a betta. They are generally close to a year old when you get them at the pet store.

Hopefully he's okay. If he does pass on, then I am sure it was of peaceful old age.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

So, I guess he is probably three, then Aly. Because I've had him for almost 2 years. We didn't name him for the longest time...but after he survived a few months, we thought Trooper was appropriate.

To top it all off, Trooper's vase is all the pet's water bowl. All the dogs and cats drink out of it. Trooper when he was feeling better, would actually come up to the top when they were drinking. It looked like he'd touch their tongues!!!

We had a couple bettas that lived for over three years. They are tough fish.

No offense, Tonya, but I'm not sure letting your dogs and cats drink out of your fish's bowl is such a good idea. I suppose it wasn't too horrible for this fish, if it lived two years. But, I would think that cats, and especially dogs, drinking out of the vase might put unpleasant nasties into the water from their saliva. Just a thought.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I know how you feel when my bata died acouple years ago. I miss him.

Speaking of fish living in animals' water bowls - I knew this guy who had koi or goldfish in the cow tank on his farm. He never had to feed the fish because they ate the cows' backwash, and he never had mosquitos in the tank. They got really big. It was neat.

Tonya's fishie's vase is ENORMOUS! He's one happy dude!

Sorry to hear that he's getting on in age, but he's had a happy life with you.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    We had a couple bettas that lived for over three years. They are tough fish.

No offense, Tonya, but I'm not sure letting your dogs and cats drink out of your fish's bowl is such a good idea. I suppose it wasn't too horrible for this fish, if it lived two years. But, I would think that cats, and especially dogs, drinking out of the vase might put unpleasant nasties into the water from their saliva. Just a thought.
    I know, Twister! Believe me, I thought that Trooper was going to get slurped up one day, but he never did. I have water throughout the house for my pets, and the first year, I insisted on them not using the fishbowl, but I gave up. All these nice fancy water gadgets they have, and they insist on using the fishbowl or toilet.

My bro just got a male betta called Doory. It has all the things that you have described. I dont think yours is dieing it is probobly just going into hibonation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lucky bunny not allways a lucky bunny.

So? How's Trooper?