Thread: Teeth Cleaning

Teeth Cleaning

Hi everyone. I brush Molly's teeth about twice a week, but would love to have her go to the vet's, so they could clean them. She does have a little bit of tartar on some of her teeth. My parents aren't too keen on the idea yet, because they hate having to "put her under" for anything. Can someone give me some information as to the process, prices, and plus's of having them cleaned?

Thanks.

I actually bought my own dental scaler (made for dogs)...I've scaled Nebo's very back teeth a couple of times. He's very good about it. They've never been bad, just a bit of tarter stuck in the cracks...I brush his teeth too.

Molly is still pretty young isn't she? I don't think it should be necessary for her to go to the vet to have her teeth cleaned.
    Maybe you could get her some nice chew bones. I give my dogs raw marrow bones once a week or so and it really helps to keep their teeth clean. If you want to try that route just go to the butcher and ask for a couple of nice big marrow bones. You can ask the butcher to trim all the excess emat and fat off, or you can do it yourself. Scoop out the marrow (as it can be too rich for some dog's tummies) and give it to the dogs (outside preferably as they can get quite messy) and they will chew them for a long time.

The trouble with just scaling the teeth is that it scrapes away at the enamel of the tooth, making the tooth more suceptible to staining. At the vet they use special polishing stuff after they've scraped.

*Thanks Ashley*

Thanks for the replies!

Molly will be 3 years old in February.
    I think I'll try the marrow bones. Sounds like the best way to go. I'll see if I can get my dad to take me to the butcher's tomarrow.

Thanks!

Oh she's going to love it!!
    Just make sure you trim off all the extra fat and meat, and scoop the majority of the marrow out. Also, ask if you can get a few knuckle bones as they seem to last a long time.
    My dogs will chew on theirs for a few hours and then come inside. They usually don't touch them after a day or so, but I just leave them outside and then throw them out after a couple days.
    Oh and one final thing (and I'm sure you already know) but make sure you're there to supervise them while they're eating their bones

*Thanks Ashley*

Yep, I'll make sure to supervise. This is kind of a silly question, but do all bones help clean their teeth, or just some like the marrow bones?

All bones do, but the ones they can really gnaw on for a long time seem to work the best. My dogs teeth always look better after I give them a chicken back or something, but they just chew those up and swallow them right away, whereas with the bigger marrow type bones they work on for hours.

*Thanks Ashley*

Yep, all bones do. When I fed BARF, my boys' teeth were unbelievably white. I've never seen whiter teeth on a dog. They're on kibble now and a bit of tarter has been building.. I think I'll need to get a few marrow bones myself.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

GoldenRetrLuver-

I had my dog's teeth cleaned about a year ago. It was a procedure where they put my dog out for about 1 hour. If I remember correctly it cost me around $100.

I got my dog as a rescue, so I don't know his exact age or history, but he had a lot of tartar on his canine teeth, and some other teeth as well. His gums were pretty red, and he had horrible breath, so I called the "doggie dentist". See here for where I went. http://www.620vet.com/DentalClinic.htm.

I was worried about putting him out, but everything ended up ok. His breath was so much better after the procedure, and his gums looked much improved. I would definately do it again if his teeth get bad in a few years.

The vet also told me that dogs with a lot of hair around their mouths will tend to get more tartar (i.e., a schnauzer like I have). Just FYI.

Few years ago I went to thw vet with my dog. He had another problem, bot something to do with theeth, but I saw that the vet anesthetized (I hope that’s the word) another dog, so he will be able to clean his theeth.
    I can’t help you about the price thing, I guess you will just half to ask the vet

Good luck

cleaning teeth

I clean Ricky, Lucy Tu, & Desi Lu's teeth but because they are small (chihuahuas) it is impossible to get their back teeth so we have the Vet clean them starting when they are one year old and then annually. I have seen so many older chis with no teeth and don't want to chance it.

I think a dental usually runs around $60-100. On a 3 year-old it really isn't necessary, but wouldn't hurt. At the young age of 3, dogs are usually pretty healthy to go under anesthesia. If you routinely made it a habit to get a dental once every few years, or just used something to keep her teeth clean inbetween checkups, then it would reduce the pains of her having to go through it when she's older.
    ChattanoogaVetTech