Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sweet homeless family

A sweet homeless family

My brother-in-law moved to Key West a little over a year ago and photography is his favorite hobby. Over these many months I have received lots and lots of beach and sunset scenes but I received this yesterday and I wrote him back that this is the best by far!

I could have posted it under Dog General, Cat General or even Pet General because, as you can see, all of them are represented in this "family" (look closely on the kitty's back for the mousies! ) You can even see the man's little money bucket looking for tips. I surely would have had to add some $ myself.

Pam, what a wonderful photograph. All of the animals look well cared for and healthy.

That is a good picture. So sad that they are all homeless. But how sweet that they are all together. I would definetly put some money in his bucket.

I have seen many homeless people with dogs in Wiesbaden. I always give them a few Euros. I do it for the doggies.

What a picture! If that doesn't speak out as a family of peace and unity, I don't know what does.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

What a priceless picture. I too would have dropped something into that bucket, only after petting the animals, of course.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

That's adorable.

Whenever we go out to the strip and stuff, we always see so many people trying to get money off of their pets. lol. I always pass the guys doing magic or acting like statues, and I go straight for the pets...that's where all my money goes. lol. There is this guy that is there pretty often with his cats and they jump through hoops, walk across tightropes, etc. Actually, I want to say that I saw him on Pet Star on Animal Planet once. Pretty cool. There is also this guy with a Golden Retriever that he has walk up a ladder and across a bridge of rope. The dog is so adorable, and so happy.

Yep...Key West is full of odd characters.

Where in Key West does your brother live??

What a great picture. I would have definatley dropped money in that bucket.

Oh how sweet, but heart wrenching at the same time!

I as well would have given them $
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Originally posted by Moose

Where in Key West does your brother live??
    In an apartment on Roosevelt Blvd. Yes, he has sent me many STRANGE pictures and of course the cats of the Hemingway House.

Roosevelt Blvd? I live on Eaton Street...in the Truman Annex "community." I don't know if he's ever heard of it...but Key West is pretty darn small, lol.

Oooh, the Hemingway House...lol. That's an interesting one.

This is so wonderful! This man loves these pets so much that he sacrfices money to keep them healthy when money is so tight for him as it is. I actually feel like I'm starting to tear up. I am always amazed at what people do.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Great picture! That mouse and cat are so cute!!

What a wonderful picture. It always touches me when I see pets with the homeless. It's so awesome that an animal's love is that unconditional. They don't care if you are rich or poor, dirty or clean; they'll love you no matter what.

This reminds me of a story I read in one of the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul books.. I don't remember which one as I think there are two of them out. But the author ran into a homeless man with a dog and he had a sign out that he had to sell the dog, some guy in a truck was asking how much and the owner was saying he really didn't want to sell the dog but he couldn't feed it and he couldn't stand for the dog to go hungry. The owner was in tears.

The author of the story stopped and talked to the man who was obviously extremely attached to his dog and the dog him. He had had a bad run, got laid off and so on ending up on the streets. The author was touched deeply and gave him some money, but then got struck with a really strong urge to do more, so she went to a pet store and ended up spending $100 or so on pet food, toys, chews, etc for the dog, and went back to where the man was and gave it to him. He was so floored and in tears telling her now he wouldn't have to sell his dog, now they could stay together.

It was such a tremendously touching story. I've never forgotten it.

The photo just really reminded me of that.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by K9soul
    This reminds me of a story I read in one of the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul books.. I don't remember which one as I think there are two of them out. But the author ran into a homeless man with a dog and he had a sign out that he had to sell the dog, some guy in a truck was asking how much and the owner was saying he really didn't want to sell the dog but he couldn't feed it and he couldn't stand for the dog to go hungry. The owner was in tears.

The author of the story stopped and talked to the man who was obviously extremely attached to his dog and the dog him. He had had a bad run, got laid off and so on ending up on the streets. The author was touched deeply and gave him some money, but then got struck with a really strong urge to do more, so she went to a pet store and ended up spending $100 or so on pet food, toys, chews, etc for the dog, and went back to where the man was and gave it to him. He was so floored and in tears telling her now he wouldn't have to sell his dog, now they could stay together.

It was such a tremendously touching story. I've never forgotten it.

The photo just really reminded me of that.
    That is why I can't read those books! I am crying about this right now, but they are happy tears
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)