Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I think I found my dog....

Originally posted by K9soul
    I don't personally feel it is up to anyone here to advise about whether or not to get the dog or whether it's right for her to. Obviously she would give the dog the good home and treatment she deserves and I just can't argue with that.
    I wasn't demanding that she do whatever I said, I was giving my own opinion.

Originally posted by clara4457
    Tonya - I am not sure if I agree with your decision to purchase the dog from this obviously shady character, but only you can make that decision based on you and your family's needs. A totally unsocialized dog no matter what the breed has the potential of being a time bomb.
    I agree to a point, Clara. I originally tried a different approach with the guy. If he talked about putting the dog to sleep, what's the big deal with simply giving her to me? I'd seem like he'd look at it as if I'm taking her off his hands. I think that he saw how much I fell in love with her and saw dollar signs. Maybe if I'd acted like the dog was just another dumb dog he would have given her to me.

GOD PEOPLE!
    I wasn't going to say anything, but this has been going on WAY too much. What did KayAnn do this time?! She was giving her advice to Tonya and here she is being ganged up on again. I don't know what you people have against her, anyway.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    That's great. I'd be a little scared though since it's possible she could have something since she's probably never been to the Vet.

I hope Uma, and all of the other dogs get someting they deserve.
    Why would you be scared if your dogs have been vaccinated? And if the dog in question seems outwardly healthy, then chances are she's built up a natural immunity.

Tonya- I hope this dog works out for you. It's unfortunate that he will be paid for this dog he wants to "get rid of" but sometimes there is no helping that. Good luck!

I deleted a couple posts. Quit bickering everybody. We all want what is best for these dogs. Do not fight about it.

Tonya,

I hope this works out for you.

Wow, $300 for a mixed breed. Was that his first offer? Or did you dicker a bit? I bet you could have gotten the price down from that. Not that it matters, I suppose, now.

Ask him if he'll throw in the chi, or one of the others, too - for that price. At least you'd get another one out of there before the ax drops. You can always take it to a no-kill shelter, and save its life.

I understand you wanting to buy this dog before calling AC. I do know that this was probably the only chance for this dog. I've bought and paid for some dogs that never even saw my house, but went straight to the humane society. Sometimes it IS the only way ... and life and experience teaches us that.

P.S. To Kfamr: I know what you are trying to say, and I know you are thinking of the dogs. I am sure you have good intentions at heart. But as soon as I start reading a thread, and see the first argumentative post made by you, I know it's going to go on and on and on for pages. I would suggest that you state your opinion, and perhaps one rebuttal, and then let it go. Having to have the last word always gets a bit tiresome for all of us that have to read it all, time and again. No offense intended, honestly ... just a friendly bit of advice.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I know, Twister... That was a fortune to pay for a mixed breed. Something about her especially caught my heart. I see dogs that I love everyday, but something about Uma made my heart thump.

Originally posted by Tonya
    I see dogs that I love everyday, but something about Uma made my heart thump.
    It's call True Love!

Whap Whap Whap - does she have an un-docked whiptail to thump on your shin now, too? Can't wait to see pictures! (Of Uma, not your shin, silly.)

Oh, one more thing...yeah, we argued forever. My tech co-worker was getting irritated because he had to translate the whole time!

Originally posted by Tonya
    I agree to a point, Clara. I originally tried a different approach with the guy. If he talked about putting the dog to sleep, what's the big deal with simply giving her to me? I'd seem like he'd look at it as if I'm taking her off his hands. I think that he saw how much I fell in love with her and saw dollar signs. Maybe if I'd acted like the dog was just another dumb dog he would have given her to me.
    It sounds like you have thought it through pretty thoroughly and I hope it works out for you. Whatever the outcome, my prayers are with those poor dogs and bless you for trying to save them.

As I said, it is a decision that can only be made by you and your husband. It is impossible to really judge in cyberspace. You are the one that has seen and interacted with the dog and her current owner, so if you decide that Uma is the dog for you - more power to you. And I will look forward to pictures.

Can you take the chi too? I am going to California next month and my family is in Whittier. I would be happy to take the Chi if it is a girl. If you can find out the sex, and get the dog let me know. I can go pick the dog up next month. It's only a few short weeks away and I have been looking for another female chi since I lost my Pooka.

And yes I am serious. Of course, I would have to talk to Dan first though, but I doubt it would be a problem.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Luckies that would be so cool if you could take the Chi

p.s. I love that signature, the snow on the kitty looks so beautiful!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I don't want to be a pain but didn't you just have a pot about trying to get your dead freinds 2 year old son? It seens that would change the dynamic of your house hold. Have you thought with you head not your heart? I am VERY guilty of that Thats why I have rescued about 20 pets and then found homes after I really saw that it was not a good match. I lost part of my soul each time.
    I know how all of us want to save ever life we come in contacct with but sadly the truth is we can't. Each of us must make our own choices as we are the only ones who KNOW who we are and how we live. I also know that all of us on this board love each other and care thats why we are here. But we are indivauals and can get misunderstood, in our effort to save the lives.
    Please hug and make up we all just have strong feelings and want to help.
    Perhaps you could get uma out them give Kayann the address and she could try the rescuses, sometimes a different person can acheive a different result.

Yes, Corrinna...I have (and still am) considering all those factors. You are very right. I think with my heart to much sometimes. -That's why I've forced myself to wait 24 hours this time. I really want to think about what I'm doing.

Luckies...the Chi is ancient. I believe it was a female though. My guess is that she was at least 12. Would you still want her? I'm going there at 4 today.

Good luck to both you and Uma, Tonya. Taking in a "neglected" dog sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure if you can make it work, it will be very rewarding. Take you time in your decision (maybe even wait another 24hrs AFTER the rest of your family meets her) and make sure.

I know you aren't at taing this decision lightly, and I hope it works out for all involved.