Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are (or were) your parents strict on your grades?

Are (or were) your parents strict on your grades?

My parents and I were discussing this the other day, and I thought it would be an interesting topic.

My grandpa was VERY strict on my mom's grades. He wanted her to be the "4.0 GPA, straight A student". So, she had excellent grades throught out high school, and ended up graduating #7 in her high school class. (I guess it payed off! )

Thankfully, my mom isn't as strict on my grades as her father was. But, she's not one of those parents that "doesn't care" either. She expects me to have quality, decent grades.

If this is a dumb topic, please let me know.

I didn't have to have all A's but my parents made sure I did the best that I could. If I made a B in the class and my parents knew that I studied hard for it then they were happy for me. But if I made a B and my parents knew that I slacked off then they would be upset with me.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

My parents were very strict about grades. Anything less than a B would get you grounded for a week - the theory was the lower the grade the longer you'd be grounded - not that I ever tested that theory! Thankfully, I liked school (when I wasn't bored).

I was "plagued" (saying that tongue in cheek) with parents who never made a B in their life, therefore, they didn't expect us to either!!! Of course, that didn't necessarily work for me, but I made it through high school just fine, was accepted to the college of my choice, and graduated in 4 years, just as they expected me to. So I guess their sort of pressure was exactly what I needed!

I find myself to be a tough mom too, and my daughter knows I expect good grades because I know she is capable. I've told her that I don't get angry with B's, but since I know she has plenty of time to work hard and keep those A's, that's what I expect!! So far, she hasn't let me down! She's in the 7th grade now.

It was A's or nothing in my house. No exceptions.
    My parents based our freedoms on grades mostly. So we had good reason to excel. They picked their battles pretty well. If we managed all a's and beta club, etc, then we were allowed dates, parties, etc.

My parents were never strict about grades, but HS came very easy for me andI graduated with a 3.98/4.0 (we didn't have any extra points honors classes likea lot of school do now).

College didn't go nearly as well, (not thatis was horrible), but my parents were always supportive and didn't expect a certain GPA

As long as I'm not failing, I'm good. I'm a big slacker and I'm failing two things right now, so my mom isn't very happy lol. Meh. My motto is, as long as I pass, I'm fine. I'm not going to college anyways.
    I've been BOO'd!

My parents were really stict about my grades. More strict than they were with my sisters. they said it was because I had more potential. . If i didn't make the honor roll I didn't get my allowance for that quarter. I got one C in high school. My parents were VERY upset. (It was math).
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Right now, I have a C in math. My parents know it's my worst subjet, so as long as I pass, they're fine with it.

My parents never said anything about any of my grades, ever. But, I got mostly A's with a few B's, so I suppose they didn't have to say anything.

My son is getting horrible, horrible grades right now. He is in the seventh grade this year, and the change from grade school to junior high has been tough for him. He always got good grades before. I'm not sure whether to punish him or just wait and see if he gets his ducks in a row on his own. Hmmmmm.....
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Nope. But, if I want something big, I have to have good grades.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

It sort of depends on the subject. My parents know I do well in Engliush and Bio so they expect good grades of me. But they also know that French and Math are my weak subjects and are more understanding with them. But as they always say, they just want me to do my best.

My sister was valedictorian of her high school 2 years ago and my parents were so proud. I just told them not to expect anything like that of me...and they don't. (My sister is a study-freak and all...)

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

My parents expected all 3 of us to do the best we could. For me, anything less than a "B" was not acceptable. I did get 2 "Cs" in high school, but didn't get in trouble because one was in PE (I refused to do gymnastics and the teacher was the gymnastics coach) and in typing....I sucked!! lol I'm better now with computers, but still not great. I graduated with a 93% average which when I was in school was a B+.

My parents also refused to bribe us for grades....no amount of money for an A or B...it was just expected. They were adamant about that.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

14. My parents were very strict about grades and, like Mugsy's, refused to bribe. However, fortunately or unfortunately, I was the youngest and they had run out of steam for the fight. I got away with much more than my older siblings....

Mom and Pop were never terribly harsh when it came to grades -- they didn't have to be as I was harsh on myself. I made my first B in 8th grade (in math) and my first C in 11th (math yet again). But I had an excuse for the C, I was out half the year with mono. (My boyfriend at the time thought I contracted it from a water-fountain ... I never told him differently, and didn't dare tell him the "water fountain" had a name. )

Mom/Dad did reward me with $100 per 100, $50 for 99-90, and $25 per 89-80; 90% of the money had to go into my college fund.

At any rate, (in High School) I graduated number 17 out of 464, missing honor grad. by 1 person.

I finished my BA degree with a GPA of 3.8 (I think).

Currently, I'm working on my MA and have a 4.0.