Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do u speak another language{sp?}?

I wonder if these discussions about grammar, spelling, and ettiquite would break down along age lines?

If we looked at those who don't mind internet shortcutting and those who do would it break down by age?

I personally don't mind spelling errors per se, but internet jargon bothers me. My reason is different. You have to have hearing (in most cases) to understand it. Most deaf folks can't "sound out" the words and often don't understand the shortcuts. (except of course the really common ones).

But then, I'm old! (and I used to be an English teacher).
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Originally posted by babolaypo65
    I wonder if these discussions about grammar, spelling, and ettiquite would break down along age lines?

If we looked at those who don't mind internet shortcutting and those who do would it break down by age?

I'm not sure. I know there's a few 'older' aged members who use shortcuts in spelling and grammar.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I'm not sure. I know there's a few 'older' aged members who use shortcuts in spelling and grammar.
    You could be right.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I use shortcuts when chatting on IM, but not when posting/writing an email/etc. I take posting etc. as writing something that should be written properly. IM is different because you are talking to someone instantly, so to make it faster, shortcuts and lack of using capitalized letters when they should be used is common. Maybe its laziness, or just to speed things up because of a lack of time, but I know older people who chat using shortcuts as well. I don't like shortcuts on boards though. I feel that when I type on PT, I should type properly. It doesn't bother me at all that Jynelle used *u*, but personally, I don't like to do that when posting on a board.

Now back to the topic. I speak English, Urdu, Punjabi, and a little Arabic. My English is *not* weak........its my strongest language, but my Urdu is kinda weak, and my Punjabi is very weak!

Nah, I'm old and I use the abbreviations all the time, just like I like to use the smilies a lot. I try to use proper spelling and such here generally, but when chatting or text messaging, I don't.

I took 3 years of French in High School and 15 credit hours (5 days a week for three quarters) in college. I still feel like I don't know it at all. I think if I were forced to use it though, I could get by.

i thought of somthing to add to this subject .. there is a store near my house called the "MT MUGGS" lol it is a bar. it is odd that some english words can be the same a letters. ...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Huh?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

MT (empty) Muggs - a bar took me a moment too

Originally posted by babolaypo65

I personally don't mind spelling errors per se, but internet jargon bothers me. My reason is different. You have to have hearing (in most cases) to understand it. Most deaf folks can't "sound out" the words and often don't understand the shortcuts. (except of course the really common ones).

But then, I'm old! (and I used to be an English teacher).
    hmm...i've wondered about that too. i think young people use it more than older people, bu ti know plenty of older people who use it too.

i speak fluent hungarian, so-so german, i just started learning spanish, (i don't know if this counts but i can sign the alphbet in spanish)

Originally posted by lbaker
    MT (empty) Muggs - a bar took me a moment too
    Hehe, I was reading it as Mount Muggs
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Or Montana Muggs Good morning Aly, do me a favor please and kiss Reese & Lolly on the nose for me I miss them. I just can't look at a picture of Reese without smiling Nice way to start each day.

Originally posted by aly
    Hehe, I was reading it as Mount Muggs
    LOL!

It took me a second. I kept repeating "MT" until finally "empty" clicked.
    I've been BOO'd!

It's like those vanity license plates. They drive me insane at stoplights. If I'm behind one, I always end up staring at it to figure it out. Then I miss the green and someone honks at me. Plain old letters and numbers work for me.

Originally posted by 2kitties
    It's like those vanity license plates. They drive me insane at stoplights. If I'm behind one, I always end up staring at it to figure it out. Then I miss the green and someone honks at me. Plain old letters and numbers work for me.
    I'll do that too, only they can even be regular licence plates lol. I'll always try and decipher a hidden code. T-T
    I've been BOO'd!