Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do u speak another language{sp?}?

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    get over it
    That is a very eloquent defense. It will take you far in life.
    I'm just stating what is obvious to everyone reading this thread.
    Last edited by 2kitties; 12-09-2003 at 10:15 AM.

Originally posted by 2kitties
    That is a very eloquent defense. It will take you far in life.
    I'm just stating what is obvious to everyone reading this thread.
    I’m sure Jynelle is just sick and tired of encountering this on a daily basis here and in real life. She’s posted before that she has a learning disability. While that doesn’t excuse the “u” or the “get over it”, I’m sure that if she looked up every word for every post she makes, it would take her forever to post on PT, plus she probably has to spend forever looking up words and making corrections to her homework. Why can’t we all just answer her question instead of critiquing her spelling, etc? Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I have a hard time deciphering her posts as well, but I try and if I have a comment that has anything to do with her post, I post it. I don’t complain about how bad her post was, or how many spelling errors it contained. We have people of all different educations levels here. Maybe for Jynelle this is a place where she can relax a little, after all she won't be graded here.

I took french in high school and I’m currently attempting (very unsuccessfully) to learn spanish.

I am a certified American Sign Language/English interpreter, and teach it at university.

I have survival Spanish. Can get by in Spanish speaking countries. Reception is better than production.

I have survival French Sign Language. I can get by in French and French Canadian deaf communities. Reception is better than production.

I am trying to become fluent in Spanish, French Sign Language,

and am starting my study of Indo-Pakistani Sign Language, and know about 100 words of it.

I have a 30-50 word vocabulary in Catalan Sign Language....

Its always fun when someone asks if you know a language, since "know" can mean so many things!

Language is cool
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

i am sorry for saying get over it, your post just offended me 2kitties .. everyone always gets soo mad when i spel wrong, my computer doesnt have a spell check,and i dont have a dictonary on me all the time..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I speak English, French and some Italian. I can't write Italian though. And I know about 4 words in German. Lol.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I speak dog lol. I speak some French, and can sing some Japanese and German songs.

I agree with Micki.
    I've been BOO'd!

Oh, I get called rude, stupid and so on when correcting someone's spelling.

Jynelle, There is a free, online dictionary at dictionary.com. Easier than looking through the book.

As for speaking another language, I can speak a bit of Spanish.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Oh, I get called rude, stupid and so on when correcting someone's spelling.

Jynelle, There is a free, online dictionary at dictionary.com. Easier than looking through the book.

As for speaking another language, I can speak a bit of Spanish.
    Well, I was feeling diplomatic.

I do, however, think it's rude to nitpick on someone. I personally think it's rude to correct someone, unless you're good friends and you know the person won't be offended. In any case a PM is better than calling someone out in a thread and making them feel stupid or worse, embarrassed.

Very nice of you to apologize Jynelle.

I don't see how nicely correcting someone (like I did before) is rude, but , we won't get into that again.

-rx bandits

I, frankly, don't give a darn, whether Jynelle used "U" or "You" in her question. Can't you people let up sometime???? Her question was a good one, and she certainly has done a good job of mastering another language (and she spelled that correctly). I just wish everyone would lighten up a bit for goodness sake!!!

Originally posted by Logan
    I, frankly, don't give a darn, whether Jynelle used "U" or "You" in her question. Can't you people let up sometime???? Her question was a good one, and she certainly has done a good job of mastering another language (and she spelled that correctly). I just wish everyone would lighten up a bit for goodness sake!!!
    Ditto.

The title of this thread:

The reason most young Americans speak english poorly is not because they can't, but because they won't. It's pure laziness.
    We don't speak poor English, alot of us use a quick code thing, just to shorten words. But it's Ok! Its a different way to write it. Some people think its a pain but others couldnt care less. But you know what she means, so why whine about it?

I agree with you Logan!

Actually, alot of people -- not just us younger ones, speak very poor English. I do sometimes, and most of the time -- It is out of laziness/ being tired.

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Amber
    But you know what she means, so why whine about it?
    I agree! What matters is that it's understandable. If you know what it means, who cares?
    I've been BOO'd!

The title of this thread:

"do u speak another language {sp?}"

Let's start with You. Y-O-U. Come on. You're asking if people speak a language other than english. It seems fitting you'd speak it yourself when posing your question. And a spell check or a dictionary will take less than 60 seconds to look up the "language." It's not a quick word you're typing in the body of your post. It's your headline, for goodness' sake.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but the thread is ABOUT speaking the language.

The reason most young Americans speak english poorly is not because they can't, but because they won't. It's pure laziness.
    I've gone through this post over and over, and I just can't find anything rude. Had this thread been about anything other than language, then my post would not have applied. But in this case, I stand by its relevance.
    "The reason most young Americans speak english poorly is not because they can't, but because they won't. It's pure laziness." I wasn't picking on anyone's learning disability."U" instead of "You" is not symptomatic of a disability.

Jynelle, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I truly apologize for doing so. I meant what I posted, but I didn't mean for it to hurt your feelings in any way. I'm sorry if it came off as insensitive.