Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a stray

re; stray

I really enjoyed your post, it was like you took us with you on your walk!! The stray pics touched my heart. Do you think you could call the shelter occasionally, find out how he is doing and let the rest of us know ??

He's adorable! There was a stray running around our neiborhood a while ago, too. He looked like some mix of a black lab.. SOOOO cute! He disappeared a few days later. Yesterday a 'LOST DOG' sign was put up. The picture looked identical to the dog that I saw. I feel SO bad. I don't even know what happened to the dog!
    Millions of dogs die a year for irresponsible breeding. There are too many dogs in the world. If you are breeding a dog for...

1.) You want cute lil' pups around da house

2.) You want to sell them for money

3.) You want your kids to experience the miracle of birth.

...then you are doing the wrong thing. PLEAZ! Spay or neuter you dogs!

I will callt he shelter in a couple of weeks. he wont be there yet because he is still at the pound waiting for his owners to claim him.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

re; too many dogs

You are so right ! I have worked at two humane societies and have witnessed hundreds of euthanasias. I wish that all dogs and cats had loving homes but that is just not reality. Telling people on this board is probably like preaching to the choir but we all need to be reminded to prompt others to think before they allow their animals to breed.

Re: re; too many dogs

Originally posted by Lynnbelle
    You are so right ! I have worked at two humane societies and have witnessed hundreds of euthanasias. I wish that all dogs and cats had loving homes but that is just not reality. Telling people on this board is probably like preaching to the choir but we all need to be reminded to prompt others to think before they allow their animals to breed.
    Our shelter claims not to euthanise dogs and cats but I think they lie.

He is very beautiful!

Thank you Wolfie!

i agree with you on that one .,
    He was even more beautiful in real life . I wanted to keep him.

Tikeya loved him soo much, he kept on trying to hump her... lol

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    yes malamutes do have blue eyes. my grandmother bred alaskan malamutes for 15 years and her main breeding female had one blue eye.
    Then she shouldn't have been breeding her. According the Malamute AKC standard, blue eyes are an automatic disqualification. malamutes can only have brown eyes.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    that is also true BUT alot of breeders like the blue eyes and so they breed with the pure bred alaskan mals with blue eyes as well. The blue eyes mal pups are more expensive though, dont ask me why lol.
    Responsible breeders of Malamutes NEVER, EVER breed for blue eyes. They don't breed blue eyed malamutes, period, ever! Irresponsible breeders do. The same way BYB of huskies breed for blue eyes and then charge more. Responsible husky breeders don't do it!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Looks aren't the main quality in the working world. When you breed to get a superb sled/draft dog, you breed for brute strength and a temperment suited to working alongside people and other dogs.

Actually brute strength is irrelavent in sled dogs. My best leader weighs 40 pounds and isn't particularly strong, but I'd trust her with my life in the bush. Malamutes are lousy sled dogs. They are great weight pullers, but for today's sled dog, franly useless. they are slow and tend to be aggressive to other dogs in harness beside them. I run two malamutes in my sled team, they both run in single file--no other dog beside them. Most mushers who breed would never add malamute to the mix. They are using German Short-haired pointers these days far more than any northern breed.

If you are intentionally breeding a purebred dog, you need to breed to temperment and the appearance standard.
    --John Irving

I think it's good to have some dogs that look a little different from the standard. For instance blue weimeraners, blue/liver German shepherd dogs, etc. They can still perform the duties they are meant to. They can still be superb working dogs.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I think it's good to have some dogs that look a little different from the standard. For instance blue weimeraners, blue/liver German shepherd dogs, etc. They can still perform the duties they are meant to. They can still be superb working dogs.
    I agree .

What a handosme dog. You did the right thing. Good job.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

re: spay

To many people think it's unfair to spay or neuter but they don't think of the puppies or kittens that are being put down because they are unwanted or not PURE. Unless you're a breeder(a proper 1) you don't have the right to put these animals through this. It's a fact that unaltered animals run a bigger risk of cancers and other illness. So if you love your pet PLEASE SPAY OR NEUTER!! Show them you want them longer. Out of 10 animals in my home..... only 1 was picked. The rest have been strays or rescues.

hey pinky, welcome to pt, make a post about you and your pets!!! . I would love to see some pics!!!