Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelties!

Shelties!

Hi All, I am getting a Sheltie next Spring and I just wanted to know any tips you guys had for houstraining/general training/ and just plain living with a Sheltie.
    Thanks!
    - Katie & Tazman and soon a Sheltie Pup!!

Oh man..where do I start lol.

Do you know where you're getting your sheltie? Shelters are good (that's where I found Kaedyn). If you decide to go to a breeder, find the best breeder possible. Someone who does all the checkups for hips, eyes, guarentees for health, shows in conformation and if they also herd, even better because that's what they were bred to do. And make sure you ask how many litters they breed per year, what age their bitch is first bred and when do their dogs retire from their breeding program. There's way more that I look for in a breeder but that's a good chunk of it.

Lol..I have way more to add..but you can find me on aim if you have any questions.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

i know that there are more sheltie owners here than 1!

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply to this thread, but I've been lazy LOL
    For one of the best, most comprehensive sheltie sites on the net,
    CLICK HERE.

It's great and full of info.
    For training/housebreaking well that shouldn't be different than any other dog really.
    Lots of training tips at Dr Ps Dog Training Library

Other than that have fun with your sheltie. They can be great little dogs. (oh and they tend to bark a lot. You'll want to get on top of that right away!)

*Thanks Ashley*

Thanks for all of the info and the Sites!!!

my friend has a sheltie, her name is srah, her doigs name is teddy, he is a shelter sheltie . very friendly and cute
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

The sites Shelteez posted are great. I have a *few* links that lead to tips on Mickey's website. Check it out here: www.geocities.com/mickeysniche00/

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I found another really great sheltie site:
    The Internet Sheltie Collection

Had four Shelties at one time and they are the sweetest, most loveable dogs in the world. I did find training them different than training any other dogs though. They are so intelligent and keen on pleasing their people that they will do whatever you ask very willingly. Sometimes it seems that they know what you want before you even ask. They are quite sensitive and can't take harshness because all they want in their life is to please you and be part of your life and close to you all the time. You will notice how your Sheltie will be looking you directly in the eyes alot to see what you are thinking.
    Very easy to live with, just a pleasure. Just brush them everyday to keep that gorgeous coat in condition, love them and all should work out great for you.

~Darrolanne ~ California

Originally posted by kittenwhiskerz
    Had four Shelties at one time and they are the sweetest, most loveable dogs in the world. I did find training them different than training any other dogs though. They are so intelligent and keen on pleasing their people that they will do whatever you ask very willingly. Sometimes it seems that they know what you want before you even ask. They are quite sensitive and can't take harshness because all they want in their life is to please you and be part of your life and close to you all the time. You will notice how your Sheltie will be looking you directly in the eyes alot to see what you are thinking.
    Very easy to live with, just a pleasure. Just brush them everyday to keep that gorgeous coat in condition, love them and all should work out great for you.

~Darrolanne ~ California
    Exactly. I've never met any other dog that was more willing to learn than my boys. I taught Kai how to put his right paw on my right foot and his left paw on my left foot (on command) within 10 minutes flat. I've spent longer teaching other dogs how to sit.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I know a pretty neurotic Sheltie - the office dog where I work. His owner knew he was skittish when she picked him out as a pup - just check for that when you choose a puppy. If the pup seem very shy or skittish, that's not gonna go away. We love the office Sheltie, but he has been to many different types of training and still is very barky, unaccepting of some people no matter how much we say they are okay (dog-loving folks even), afraid of strange things ...

but he is a sweet boy and loves those he loves very much. He practically falls inside out if I leave and come back - even if it's just for a few seconds.

I know a pretty neurotic Sheltie - the office dog where I work. His owner knew he was skittish when she picked him out as a pup - just check for that when you choose a puppy. If the pup seems very shy or skittish, that's not gonna go away. We love the office Sheltie, but he has been to many different types of training and still is very barky, unaccepting of some people no matter how much we say they are okay (dog-loving folks even), afraid of strange things ... (we had to shut a gift poinsettia in an office one time - it came wrapped in celophane and he was freaking out ...)

but he is a sweet boy and loves those he loves very much. He practically falls inside out if I leave and come back - even if it's just for a few seconds.

The family who owns him had a Sheltie years ago who was everything you others describe, but just be aware it varies from dog to dog - and prepare to be herded, no matter what!

Raises hand really high!! Sheltie owner here!! Ask me anything..

i can help ( I think)

shelties are the best! but you have to be prepared for one dog that has to much energy. the up sides, well theres to much! I love molly so well yah lets see they are way to smart! Do not worry about obiediance school for them (maybe for a lab.) My dog can:

SIT

LAY

UP

SHAKE

STAY

COME

AND POTTY TRAINED

It took us 3 months (very short of a time period.)

things you might want to do is to wacth the dogs (get a active one) the dog maybe sick otherwise.

HOPE I HELPED! E_MAIL ME TO GET TO KNOW HOW TO TRAIN THEM!

HI There

BlackChancery I own a Sheltie he will be 12 yrs old in May, a great Buddy....They are great with Children, you will have to expect Hair Balls LOL in the Spring & Fall.....