Thread: 'Tis the season, I guess!!

'Tis the season, I guess!!

Oh my goodness........I think Roger and Milly are wishing for a little privacy this Christmas, or a few baby Cockatiels. OMG!!! What a sight they have been the last couple of days. They went from such severe pecking and fighting that we had to separate them, to such "love" that I am almost embarrassed!!!! I recently moved them from their normal room into my office, so we have a lot more interaction now. He is singing to her constantly and preening her. I do wish I had the camera handy to show you how they rub heads and clean each other (the rest is x-rated).

I'm praying for no eggs, just happy birds!!!!

Aww, I remember when our tiels would embarass us. Everytime a friend came over they would be mating, and like every couple seconds lol. They always produced the sweetest healthiest babies. If they have eggs, try to get them a nest box.........if she is pregnant she will lay her eggs on the ground even without a box, but the box is better. Baby tiels are pretty ugly, ugly but cute. They look especially weird when they get their down and pinfeathers in lol. We always kept our babies tiels, could not bare to let any go.

I so miss having tiels.

One of our birds, Pancha, even though she never mated, would lay eggs under the couch, and guard them. If anyone got near she would run out from under the couch with her wings up hissing lol. It was a site, that's for sure!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

They sound cute!

Animals are such funny things aren't they?

Logan.............you poor thing! I know how you feel! Remember when I was all upset last spring when MY tiels did the same thing!?! God forbid they ever do it again! They only did it that once in the 4 years we've had them, and they stopped quickly too (probably because of mommy pressures )! LOL I hope they continue behaving like that have been all year! Tell Roger and Milly............ITS NOT SPRING YET! Silly tiels! Silly!

Are they screaming a lot too? Did you seperate them?

silly tiels!!!!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

That brings back a flood of memories about Bonnie, and the Edge too.

When Bonnie first started what I called `egging it` I had no idea what was going on. She was on the perch with her tail in the air making this awful noise, I thought she was ill! I had no idea that even without a mate she would still lay eggs, and, boy, over the time I had her she laid a whole lot of eggs! Though it did fade out and then stop over her last year or so.

Edge did too, that`s how I found out she was a girl. I used to feel so sad for her, and Bonnie, sitting on the eggs, and chasing the other away if they came to near. Of course I would take the eggs away, had to for their own good, but it seemed such a shame.

Oh, and Popcornbird, Bonnie would lay at all times of the year but close to Christmas was always favourite, I never figured out why.

Chris

Originally posted by popcornbird
    Tell Roger and Milly............ITS NOT SPRING YET! Silly tiels! Silly!

Are they screaming a lot too? Did you seperate them?

Tiels mate for life most of the time. If they are a bonded pair, which is sounds like they are, I would not seperate them. This could lead to severe depression, especially if they have mated successfully and she ends up laying a clutch of eggs. Of course, you could just make sure their cages are right next to eachother and they visit with eachother everyday. If we seperated our tiels our birds would get very sad.

Tiels mate all year long, ours would do it every day of the year, all day long.

Our female tiels would always rub themselves on their perches, or stick their tail feathers in the corner of the cage as if they were being mated, and then lay eggs. I don't want to be too graphics in the way they "displayed" themselves. Some tiels will mate with just about anything......newspaper being the most likely thing for males, and a perch for females. They do "M", like lot of other animals do and it's completely normal.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Oh Logan, that's too funny! Gee now, I wonder just what could be influencing their amorous behavior???

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Hey it's where baby birdies come from. No deed no babies.
    Nibbles

Your birds sound like little cuties.

Cockatiels are such funny entertainers!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm a little late in responding.

SANDRA!!!!!!! I have no idea what is giving them romantic inclinations!! What I'm thinking is that they have probably been "doing" this all along, but they were in another room during the day, so I didn't see it!!!

Now they share the office with me. We do have two cages, but they are usually together in one, or out and about crawling around on the tops of the two cages. That's the only time they get romantic (when they are out). The only time we separate them is when Roger gets ugly acting (which he did for a whole week until he got romance on his mind).

There is no nest, and we won't have babies, but I am leaving those cuddlers alone and letting them have their fun.

Logan