Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operating system not found.....

Operating system not found.....

Hi everyone,

It was 2/6 and I shut off my computer for the night and everything was fine. Saturday 2/7 when I turned it on in the morning hoping to have a lot of time for Pet Talk the dreaded message from hell came on my screen.

Refusing to believe that my 4 1/2 year old computer had died, I started doing research - called Dell (talked to a woman in Manilla) - my brother gave it a try - a computer tech tried too.

OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND was still my message.

Buying a "refurbished" hard drive with a 90 day guarantee just didn't seem to solve my problem.

So, it was back to Dell to put together a new computer for me.

The pieces and parts started arriving..............boxes just left on my porch that clearly say DELL COMPUTER on them. No one knocked on the door - no doorbell. I about tripped over them when I was leaving the house. However, the work station and monitor arrived last Friday and happily I had to sign for them.

Last Saturday I put it all together with the help of my neighbor and Outlook Express WOULD NOT WORK.

McAfee Firewall was the problem.............that is after many phone calls to Dell and my server and finally to Microsoft. McAfee has a software glitch that blocks access to the internet for Outlook Express. After I changed that setting everything works just fine.

All of this came together just this evening at 7 PM and now I am once again a very happy Pet Talker.

I think I will stroll over to Thursdays and see if it is open and catch up on anything I have missed.

I HAVE MISSED YOU ALL....................

Love, Gini

We missed you too Ginster!!!

Welcome back Gini! We missed you. Computer problems suck, don't they?

I'm not sure if you missed *too* much. PT has been quiet lately..........quiet and sad. This past week has been especially sad because of the loss of our very special Binx and Smokey. I'm sure you must have heard about that by now.

What a horror story - and being caught between hardware, software and internet provider - a nightmare.

Glad you are back now

Yes, what a nightmare! Glad you're up and running again - so good to see you back!

When you've had your drink .... it's on me, then you can stroll over and nominate something for Thread of 2003. Just take your time.
    Last edited by Randi; 02-24-2004 at 04:31 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Gini you were missed!! I am glad you are *up and running* again.

Welcome back Gini!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

computer problems

...really stink. i was down for almost 3 months (money issues for a new computer) i haated using the library ones. glad you're back.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

You are very patient (unless you decided to edit what those phone calls REALLY sounded like ) My husband would have thrown the computer out the window (tolerance rating of zero) and I would have thrown my hands up in despair a dozen times!

Congrats on the new computer! Now you won't have to worry about this for another 4 1/2 years!

Welcome back, Gini!!!!

So glad to have you back! I have missed you!

Computers are head aches some times! Mine has gave me major pain lately! I have files that disappear, and then I get a message that says( " This program has performed an illegal operation. If problem persist contact program vender. mbb caused an invalid page fault in modual unknow....") Makes me crazy!

So glad you're back Gini! We sure did miss you! Hopefully you're all set now...at least for awhile I'm teetering on the brink of a major crash. I too have a Dell, only 3 years old. I'm regularly getting that "has performed an illegeal function and will shut down" message. I'm constantly having to manually shut down the tower and reboot. Can't open, send attach's, insert pics, it doesn't recognize my printer, my scanner, digi camera, or DVD drive. Those Dell people in India have been of NO help! Of course they dragged out sending over someone to help until after the warranty expired. Grrrrrrrr

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

You know we all use Dell's at work (of course we buy in bulk) and I've had no problems with their Tech Support. I'm amazed that the new one arrived in pieces. Our's come in two boxes, one for the CPU, keyboard, mouse, etc etc and the other one for the monitor. Having Dell written on them you are luck they weren't stolen.

Anyway glad you have in the "land of the living" so-to-speak.

BTW: Richard has been starting some "interesting" threads. I think a search is in order.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

14. Gini... I am so glad you are back! Now we need to find Julie...aka Ally Cat's Mom!

Gini, glad to hear you are back, you have been missed by all of us.
    Your back in the computer business, and my dell had a corrupted file on it and it totally lost its video driver, does great, except no video. So can't use it, if I can't see the video! So I am waiting for them to send me a free hard drive, and a free man to install it.....

I could have done this myself, but how could I refuse a free man, Uh I mean a free technician? I am using a laptop right now, which is different.

When Ann mentioned the problems she has been having, I just thought of something funny that happened to my sister-in-law when they first got a computer, They had bought the computer for David, her son. Lisa and her mother decide they are going to get on the computer, for the first time in their life. Well not knowing what all the jargon was about, when they seen the "you have performed an illigal operation" thing, they went into a panic and hurrridily shut down the computer. Then watched for the laws, and fbi people to come swarming in.

When she told me this, Ann, Gini, I was literally down on the floor laughing my butt off.

Anyway Gini, I am so glad you are back. You have been missed.
    Thurdays just aren't the same without you there. Just happy, happy, happy!!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!