Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have we discussed treats/snacks?

Have we discussed treats/snacks?

I know there have been discussions about dog food, but has the same been done for biscuits, jerkeys, etc.? If not, what are your recommendations? If so, could someone point me to the thread?

Thanks!
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

I really don't remember one, Smilla, but I will tell you that I LOVE the homemade kinds best (although I've never made any myself ). Maybe we should start a "dog recipe" thread! I have all kinds of wonderful recipes and I should try to cook some on my own, but there are so many great places to purchase them online, I don't bother! When I don't buy them online, I do usually get some sort of low calorie snack if I can (Iams makes Weight Control biscuits and we usually have those on hand), and the other one they love is made by Natura Pets and can be found either in the California Natural or Innova brand name and they are called Health Bars. You can read about them at www.naturapet.com .

My dogs get the occasional beef rib bones, which they love, and big raw hide bones on special occasions, but only when they can be supervised the entire time.

Hope this helps!

Logan

My two really like the Old Mother Hubbard peanut butter dog biscuits. Ingredients are: Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Crunchy Peanut Butter, Molasses, Malto Dextrin, Natural Peanut Butter Flavor, Calcium Propionate, Eggs, Whole Ground Apples, Whole Ground Carrots, Garlic, Sea Salt.

They also make the Wellness dog food, which I have heard good things about.

And just because I always like to check things out when I read about them, in case anyone else does here is their official web site. http://www.omhpet.com/index.asp
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I wouldn't feed my dog Iams products if they were free.
    I cannot patronize a company that sanctions cruel, invasive
    & untimately fatal "testing" on dogs and cats as a legal defense against product liability.

California Natural & Innova are both good choices with no
    animal cruelity involved in production. Wellness & the other
    500 companies who manage to produce good products without
    inhumane treatment of animals gets my money everytime.

Homemade treats would probably be better & cheaper but
    I don't seem to make time to do it myself. I think there was a
    thread on recipes, but it was for human food.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My dogs are pigs! LOL
    They think anything I have is a treat. I use a lot of veggies as treats, they like broccoli, cucumber, carrots, frozen peas....etc.
    They also like cheerios. Cheese and meat pieces are always great as well.

I wouldn't feed my dog Iams products if they were free.
    I know you wouldn't, Liz, and many others wouldn't either. Maybe I am naive, but I feel they have adjusted their research practices as they should, thus I feel a little better about using their products now, although we only use the treats at this point, no longer feeding the food because we found something that works better for all 4.

My dog has a VERY sensitive tummy--we've fed him steak (with very little seasoning) twice and dry turkey once, and he's thrown up all 3 times. No more people meat for him! However, I'm wondering how he might do with vegetables--think I ought to risk it? He gets some veggies in his wet Wellness food, but I haven't tried them raw.
    SMB ^ï^

Lots of dogs seem to really enjoy those little baby carrots. Maybe you could try those? When my collies were into their senior years they both had very sensitive tummies, and that is what I gave them for treats.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by Logan
    I know you wouldn't, Liz, and many others wouldn't either. Maybe I am naive, but I feel they have adjusted their research practices as they should, thus I feel a little better about using their products now, although we only use the treats at this point, no longer feeding the food because we found something that works better for all 4.
    Logan, I love & respect you like a daughter, but I do believe
    you are naive about this company. " adjusted their research
    practices " ? Just how did they do that? They might move the
    dogs & cats to another facility, but the the cruel use of these
    unfornate souls has not been stopped.

Smilla & other readers, I'm sorry & don't want to get this thread
    further off track. Now, we were talking about treats and
    snacks. Smokey likes Cheerios too. He won't eat carrots.
    Chews it into tiny bits & spits it back out onto the carpet. He
    does get little chunks of cheese for special treats sometimes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Samantha absolutely loves baby carrots. She'll eat them as long as I give them to her. She also likes Old Mother Hubbard biscuits - peanut butter best, but she'll also eat the spearmint ones that are supposed to help with breath (not that her breath is bad). She likes any of the biscuits with the all natural ingredients, actually. She also likes Pupperonis a lot. For chewing, she loves pigs ears, rawhide bones and twists, real bones (supervised), and sometimes her Nylabone.

That dog is going to eat me out of house and home!

My dogs will only eat carrots "steamed", so they are a bit more tender!!!

Really!? Samantha absolutely LOVES the crunch.

Pepper and Honey both love pieces of cheese, turkey dogs, steak, and baby carrots.
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

Timber loves cereal. Every time I'm doing some tricks I'll just pull out a box of mini wheats and have at 'er.

A really neat thing to do, is dip a towel in broth, twist it up, and then put it in the freezer. When it's frozen give it to your pooch for a tasty chew!
    I've been BOO'd!

I spent $65 at Especially for Pets tonight. I bought a huge bag of food (Chicken Soup) and a ton of Mother Hubbard treats--cheese and chicken, peanut butter, and liver flavored biscuits, plus some chicken-flavored chews; I also got some Nutro Max (I think? It was one of the recommended brands, anyway) chicken and rice jerky-like treats. Lefty was in heaven! I let him sample one of each and gave him a little less dinner.

Since he's been with us two months, his coat has gotten a lot softer. He's only been on the Chicken Soup food for about a month, so I don't know if it's his food or just that he's stopped shedding so much and his hair has grown back in.

I'm going to get some baby carrots next time I go shopping for "people food!"
    SMB ^ï^