Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvia is getting spayed tomorrow

Sylvia is getting spayed tomorrow

Ok now I'm starting to freak out a bit. Sylvia is going in tomorrow 12/2 at 8:00am. She is getting spayed and micro chipped, but I'm getting worried . I know she will be fine, but I still can't shake these worried feelings. Oh, and despite trying to get her in as fast as possible she is in heat. Not only is she in heat but she is in the bleeding stage. Poor Sylvia . Please pray for her.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I understand completely No matter how "minor" the procedure, us Mom's can't help but be frightened for our furkids. Try not to worry, as hard as that is. And as long as you have full confidence in your vet, everything should be just fine And if you have any questions, make sure you talk with your vet so she/he can reassure you. Before long, tomorrow it will be over and done with and sweet Sylvia will be resting comfortably; and home before you know it! Please keep us updated and give Sylvia a hug and kiss from me Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

ok, forget it. My brother just called me and the vet said he wants to wait because she is bleeding. He said they can do it, but there can be complications. So we are waiting until she stops.

AWW dont worrie getting her spayed is the best thing you can do for her . She will be totally safe and fine with the vet. They know what they are doing .. baby is going to be spayed on December 19th.. I am sure she will be fine too ... I will keep sylvia in my thoughts she is such a sweet lil pug
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

We'll keep Sylvia in our thoughts and prayers but I can tell you she'll probably do a lot better than you will with the whole idea.

We had Muffin spayed last Wednesday and she did great. She was real sleepy Wednesday night. On Thursday, she was just a little slow. By Sunday, she was MUFFIN again - racing around the house and wrestling with her brother & sister. Keeping her quiet is now totally impossible.

The vet said he will get us in as soon as she is done bleeding and we won't have to wait. I still feel nervous. I wish it could have been done and over with tomorrow.

Good luck, Sylvia! Be good for the vet.

Let us know when her "bid day" arrives. Best of luck to Sylvia and to her worrying mom.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I certainly sympathize with you. I fretted and worried and hated the waiting. The waiting is the hardest part, which is why I sympathize even more that it's even harder for you that it had to be put off. It gives you more time to fret and worry.

I'm sure she and you will get through this just fine though, and soon it will all be in the past. Let us know when she goes in, and I will have you and her both in my thoughts and prayers that day.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Well whatever your vet feels is best is of course what we all want for sweet Sylvia. This little delay will just give us all more time to offer prayers up for your little girl. Let us know when the big day is approaching so we can count the minutes right along with you. I know any time my furry ones have to "go under" I worry and worry until I get that "It's all over and all is well" call. ((hugs))

some vets ...

just because sylvia is in heat doesnt mean she cant get spayed, she is spayable while she is in heat.. The only bad thing about spaying a female dog while she is bleeding is that the uteris is inlarged and can be mistakened to be the bladder under the UNTRAINED eye... Your vet is not confedent, that worries me... I would goto a different vet..

Tikeya was spayed during a heat, a dry heat, but the uteris was still inlarged, and the only bad thing that came of her spaying was that she went into a state of fake pregnancy after being under the knife, she produced milk and carried around a stuffed puppy thinking that she had givin birth...

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    some vets ...

just because sylvia is in heat doesnt mean she cant get spayed, she is spayable while she is in heat.. The only bad thing about spaying a female dog while she is bleeding is that the uteris is inlarged and can be mistakened to be the bladder under the UNTRAINED eye... Your vet is not confedent, that worries me... I would goto a different vet..
    He said he would do it, but the enlarged uterus is probably the complication he was speaking about. Since we are in no rush we cancelled the appointment.

Originally posted by My Peanuts
    He said he would do it, but the enlarged uterus is probably the complication he was speaking about. Since we are in no rush we cancelled the appointment.
    It's ok I wouldn't have a dog spayed while it was in heat unless it was absolutely inevitable.
    Just be very careful with her at all times. Don't let her go anywhere without being on a lead, even into the backyard. Then when she comes out of it you can get her spayed. Some people like to wait a couple months after a dog has been in heat so that the hormones can level out.
    Whatever you decide will be fine though. Just keep an eagle eye on her at all times

Edited to add:
    I ust phone my vet and asked them what are the risks involved with spaying a dog while in heat. They said that since there is a bigger blood supply to the uterus at this time, and the uterus is more fragile, there is a greater chance of blood loss. My vet will not spay dogs while in heat.
    Conversely though they will spay cats while they are in heat, as it doesn't seem to be as much of a risk, and in fact makes it much easier to find the uterus.
    Last edited by Shelteez2; 12-01-2003 at 04:21 PM.

really?? because thwn I went to the vets for a job shadow, they spaded a female dog that was in heat with no comlications... I was right there in the operating room to.