Thread: Help - need tips on how to trim cat's claws

Help - need tips on how to trim cat's claws

I can't get Jazz or Scout to let me trim their claws. I've been working on building their trust but they really panic at having anything mess with their paws. I have yet to get one claw trimmed. I've got to do something because they are smacking each other pretty hard when wrestling and yesterday Scout got scratched near her eye. I called the vet and they charge $10.90 per cat so that will cost a fortune to have two cat's claws trimmed regularly.

I know I should have started with Jazz last year when we got her at 14 weeks old but I didn't know that then. Since I just got Scout in July I didn't have the chance to train her as a kitten. Ripley is not a problem. He lets me hold him like a baby and trim all his claws at once.

From Decker with Love

I don't have any tips b/c I can't trim Kylie's claws either. I have only done it once in the 2 years I have had her. But I do have a suggestion. Do you have any pet grooming salons around your area? If so I would call them and ask them if they do cats and what they charge. I recently got in contact with a lady here that has a salon and does cats. I hopefully am taking Kylie over there sometime for her to shave her rump area and trim her back nails. She only charges $2 for back claws, and $4 for all 4 paws, dog or cat. She also bathes them and does hot oil treatments and trims etc. I am looking more into this. Good Luck!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

My daughter Sirrahsim (Missy) uses what she calls a "cat burrito" and wraps Boomer firmly in a towel like a mummy. She says it is a snap for the back claws. The front ones are trickier but it is essentially a cat burrito with one paw out. Worth a try! I use it for pills and it is great!

I get them when they are in a deep sleep...and slowly pic up each foot and go from there. Sometimes i only get 4 claws trimmed before they decide that i am not gonna get anymore done!! It may take a few good naps of theirs to get them all done...over a few days

We no longer trim Ron's claws because he seems to always be escaping to the outdoors. But before hand, we'd wrap him in a towel, hold him between our knees, and pull one paw out at a time. We'd sit in the bathtub with the shower door closed because he seemed to put up less of a fight in there since he knew there wasn't an escape.

1st, call a groomer, it should cost less.
    2nd, even if a cat goes outdoors, the nails should be trimmed (they can grow back INTO the foot pad. NOT a nice sight)
    3rd.........get help. 4 hands are better than 2.

tips:
    -do one, give a treat, let cat go. repeat later.
    -let your helper scruff the cat's neck. You can get a LOT of control that way.
    -be firm and be quick.
    -allow the cat to be comfortable, they will fight less when comfortable than if they are in an unnatural position.
    -bring them to PA, I'll do them (just a little humor)

What is working with Pouncer is this:
    1) Have someone hold Pouncer
    2) I attempt to trim his nails
    3) Fail miserably
    4) Leave Pouncer in arms of other person, hunt down Allen
    5) Trim Allen's nails (he's such a good boy about it)
    6) Release Allen in under one minute
    7) Repeat procedure on Pouncer, who seemed to understand that fighting only extended the trauma.
    8) Repeat steps 1 through 7 every time until the num-nutt gets it through his brain that sitting still is far better than squirming and crying.

Do you happen to have a kitty that doesn't mind having his nals trimmed? I got lucky with Allen and seem to be ok using him to "train" Pouncer

Any other tips would be appreicated because Nicki flat out refuses to have her nails trimed.. and when a 100 pound doggy doesn't want nails trimmed, you don't trim them. I've tried at the vets with 3 humans holding her down and failed. That's my girl!

Well I checked with two groomers, the one I take Disney to and another nearby and they both charge $8 per cat so not much better than the vet.

You guys have given me some good tips so I will give them a try. I already told my husband to be prepared to help. I also like the towel idea. It's the only way I can give Jazz a pill.

From Decker with Love

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    ...even if a cat goes outdoors, the nails should be trimmed (they can grow back INTO the foot pad. NOT a nice sight)
    Gosh I didn't know that, although I spend some time stroking paws, the adults seem to wear down their claws but I'll keep a closer look out from now on.

Currently we trim George's claws, as he doesn't go out enough and the kittens as they stick to things otherwise

I totally agree with the above advise esp get a helper.