Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Update*....Me and my cancer

*Update*....Me and my cancer

Hi All,

A couple of people have asked me how I'm doing. So I thought I would go ahead and update everyone.

I am doing very well! I have seen the doc and been given the thumbs up and the all clear sign!! Woo Hoo! My insides are still a little raw and tender from the radiation but "healing nicely" as the doc says. My side effects are nearly gone now. Once in awhile I do feel like I have a relapse with the fatigue. The doc says that will be normal for awhile. Basically, I am feeling wonderful!! I go back to the doc in March and then I see the other doc in June. After that I will go every 6 months. Yes! I'm a little bit tired of all the docs but I know that it is important to always stick with the follow ups.

I KNOW that I am a very lucky girl. I realize now that my battle with cancer was nothing compared to other cancer patients that I met through my journey. Yes, I did go through 2 surgeries and 28 radiation treatments, but my cancer was caught at a very early stage and looking back now I see that it was nothing compared to what other patients go through. I'm not trying to minimize what I have went through...its...just...I know how lucky I am. Its hard to put into words.

Three people that I met through my support/education group have died. Each time that I heard this news I have felt very blue and sad and then at the same time I feel very grateful and lucky. It is an odd feeling to go through.

There have been lots of good things that have come from this. This might sound silly..but at the top of my list is KATIE! We brought her home to bring some joy and happiness into our lives when we were going through a difficult time and Katie has definitely filled that role!! Just the other day we were laughing at something Katie had done and my husband said "You know we probably wouldn't have gotten her if you hadn't been sick". We just smiled at each other and I said "I know". Losing our other dog was so painful we didn't think we would ever get another. See, Good Things!! Katie is laying right here beside me sleeping and I am running my foot up and down her leg. What could be better.

Once again, thanks to all of you for being around and letting me talk and carry on about all of this. You all have no idea how much Pet Talk has helped me through all of this. Pet Talk was always here and I could come and sit down anytime and type away.

Now...Let's get on with life....YES!!!!!

Love ya all....Robin

I wish I could make this smiley 100 times bigger!!

Such great news.

Robin,
    I was soooo nervous when I saw this post. I was afraid that the cancer had returned. You are a truly remarkable person, so strong in your attitude. I am happy to have met you, and look forward to getting to know you better!

Johanna

That is so great!

Happy Hugs

Chris

I am SO glad this thread contained good news. Robin, you are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story with us. (Kind of makes me ashamed of all the little things I moan about)

(((HUGS)))

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

That's such great news Robin. Just yesterday (Sunday) I got together with some family members including my cousin who is battling lung cancer (from 2nd hand smoke) and now it has spread to her brain. She is as optimistic as you were/are and it's such an inspiration to us all.

Thank you for allowing us to share your story. Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
    I am SO glad this thread contained good news. Robin, you are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story with us. (Kind of makes me ashamed of all the little things I moan about)

(((HUGS)))
    HEY...I still moan about the little things!..lol (maybe not as much, BUT I still do). Moan all you want, girl!

Remember to step back and enjoy all the little things too!

Hugs right back at ya....Robin

Please do make sure you do the fallow ups > My hubby still hates them for his cancer but skin cancer can come back any time but the longer the less likey. We had a scare last spring but turned out to be nothing. 8 Years now this moth since the last bout.
    We got Merlin for the same reason, Supposed to be for me for empty nest But I wanted Tim getting out in the world again, It worked.
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! Remember too you will be more apt to get colds easier till you get the immune systeam really reaved up again. Take lots of precautions for a while. (hug)

RobiLee,

*SIGH*

Okay, now that I've taken my HUGE sigh of relief, I just want you to know that I am absolutely thrilled at the news. You are one tough cookie. I also believe that your positive attitude and strong perserverance had alot to do with it too.

When Amy went through her ordeal (this year will be her 11th year in remission) she had the same great attitude. I see alot of her in you and am in awe of the both of you. As each year went buy, Amy got a little less worried about the cancer coming back. They say that once you reach your 5th year in remission, you're considered cured.

I wish you the best that life can bring and many MANY more years of remission. You certainly deserve it!!

You rock!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This is such great news. I'm so happy for you!!

Fister sends lots of purrs .... and hugs from me!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Originally posted by slick
    That's such great news Robin. Just yesterday (Sunday) I got together with some family members including my cousin who is battling lung cancer (from 2nd hand smoke) and now it has spread to her brain. She is as optimistic as you were/are and it's such an inspiration to us all.

Thank you for allowing us to share your story. Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Slick...please tell your cousin that I am thinking of her and sending her lots of positive vibes and warm wishes. Please let me know how she is doing once in awhile. I know there is nothing I can do or say to actually help but I really do care and would like to know how she is. My best wishes for you and your cousin.

Robin

WHAT great news, Robilee! I am so happy for ye!
    Time to party:

Robin

I'm so happy that you have shared your story with us. Very happy that you are doing well. I agree with slick, you are an inspiration.
    Glad you have Katie by your side. She sounds pretty sweet!

I am so glad that you had good news from the doctor and that you are healing so well. That's great! I am sure that your positive attitude (and Katie) had a big effect on your successful recovery.
    Oreo and Molly

Here's a perfect time to post this. I just got through making it for you and put it in the dog general section where you said her pics didn't come out. It's not silly to have Katie at the top of your list! Duke's always at the top of mine. Glad to hear you're doing so well and sad to hear that some of your friends didn't win the battle. Hope this sig makes you feel all Christmasy

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06