Thread: question about adopting a dog

UPDATE!!!question about adopting a dog

We went ahead and adopted him. He has turned out to be a great dog. We are very happy and enjoying him very much!

Thanks for all the advice and comments!!

We found a dog to adopt that seems well behaved and to listen well. He is 18 months old. The owner (says his house is too small for the dog) says his only issue is that he will nip (never broke skin) at a stranger that tries to pet him on the head. He said once the dog gets to know you he is fine. Should I be concerned with this behavior??

Thanks!
    campermama
    Last edited by campermama; 12-09-2003 at 10:12 PM.

I would not be concerned. Puppies will nip, and although he is 18 months, he still has some puppy in him. Even our cat, Jackson, some times nip us, but not that hard. If you want to break him of this habit, when he nips, tell him sternly "No", and do not touch or pet until he stops. In most cases, this will let him know this is not approved behavior, and you do not like when he does this. Dogs generally want to please, so he will eventually learn not to nip. Good Luck !!

Oh, BTW, welcome to Pet Talk !!! A nice group of people come here, and they're very helpful.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I would suggest taking the dog through an obedience class. It will help you bond to him and the instructor can teach you how to deal with nipping. Be sure you go somewhere that uses positive reinforcement training methods though.

By the way, WELCOME TO PET TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I'd be a tad bit concerned but I wouldn't let it get in the way of adopting him. One of mine used to nip as a pup. He never nipped me but constantly nipped my sister and brother. It's definately a habbit you can break. It sounds like he's wary of strangers and doing a bit of fearbiting. Tell any strangers that stop to pet him to let the dog aproach the stranger. The dog will decide when it's ready to be patted on the head.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Just sounds like a behavior you can work on. The Sheltie where I work does not like anyone to reach over his head to pet him, so I just tell people, and they reach to the side. But this dog you're thinking of adopting is still a pup. Sounds like a fear issue, which may disappear once he's secure with you. Some good obedience work and training, and I bet he'll be fine, especially as he just does it with strangers.

Like the sheltie Karen knows, a lot of dogs are not comfortable when people reach over their heads to pet them. They can't see what you're going to do. If you approach from the front and scratch under the chin, or from the side and work your way up he'll be more comfortable. Like everyone has said, it can be overcome with some patience and time.

My Millie’s an excitement nipper, and we’re working on that right now.

My first thought was that it was excitement nipping. If its fear nipping, then you've got a bit more on your plate but its still manageable. You really have to watch the body language to see if its fear or excitement.

There's a dog in one of my Dog Manners classes that loves strangers SO MUCH, she gets real jumpy and nippy because she's SO excited. We are working with her and she's much better already.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Any stranger who reaches out to a dog to give it a "friendly" pat on the head before introducing themselves to the dog (Holding out a hand for the dog to sniff, asking the owner, etc..) deserves what they get. That having been said.....

One of my brother's dogs had a problem with me for years, it seems I smelled like or resembled someone who abused the pup. If my brother was with me everything was fine, but she barked and growled at me anytime I walked into the house. It may just be something you have to watch for and deal with on a situational basis. Lady nipped a few times at kids but over time she's gotten more secure and it has almost disappeared.

Congratulations, campermama, on your new addition! Since you're in the area, I thought I'd share this link:
    http://www.sdhumane.org/programs/behaviortraining.cfm

The San Diego Humane Society offers many great obedience/training classes and all use positive reinforcement and kind methods. It sounds like your new pup might enjoy the "Head Start" class. Oreo and I took it when she was 18 months old, and it was fantastic. The Humane Society has a great new facility, too. Check it out!
    Oreo and Molly

Kona and Oreo's mom

Thanks for the link, my dog, Sky, has been through that training. It has now been a week he is with us and he is doing very well. He is a great dog!

we.lcome to petalk, hope you stick around, all puppies nip. baby *my great dane pup* she will nip yopu in the butt if you arnt carefull lol. ..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven