Thread: my puppy

my puppy

i have a four month old puppy beagle/rat terrier mix. that eats but never seems to gain weight her ribs always show. i don't know what to do to make her gain weight. she doesn't act like anything is wrong with her. she has a little hernia on her belly but i don't think that could cause it . could it?
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Are you feeding her food specifically for a puppy, and following the feeding guidelines? Last time we were feeding a puppy, he got fed 3 times a day.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Have you checked her stools for worms? Have you taken her to the vet?

.:. To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten it .:.

i wormed her because i thought that might be it. i am feeding her pedigree puppy food but i only feed her in the morning and in the afternoon. i think ill have to take her to the vet anyways. i didn't think it was really a big deal since she ate every bit i gave her. But i thought if i could fix it without having to go to the vet that would be better but i don't know ill just take her probuly shes so cute just yesterday i got the box of treats out and i tought her how to sit so as soon as i went for the box she sat down and started wagging her tail shes so cute and i love her so much thanx for ya'lls help
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Until there is indication

of a weight problem as in too much weight, give them free choice. Some of the large breeds you have to watch to make sure they don't grow too fast. But in general the first few months, keep a dish full of dry food, and allow them to eat when they wish. For example my little 2 month Lab mix eats a mouthful every 20 minutes or so. Probably when he gets up to 6-8 months that will change to a scheduled feeding. On the other hand my 7.5 month Pyrenees/Lab eats two times a day, even though the food is available at all times.

As long as your puppy is energetic and not losing weight you shouldn't be too concerned about lack of weight gain. Some puppies just have a high metabolism.