Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why do dogs lick..

dogs in the wold clean other members of the pack, it is a bonding thing. Some ppl dont let their dogs lick because it is groose, I love it .. I love to know my dogs love me ... and thats how I know they do.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Tikeyas mom , I feel the same as you . I think Tiny is just being affectionate . Maybe that is a way dogs show their love .

Wolf pups will lick their elders' mouths as a begging for food, but it has also been seen that other pack members will mimic this "puppy" behavior with their alpha. It is believed that when the adults do this it is more a sign of greeting/homage to their alpha than a desire for food.

I think just as there are different barks, there are different "licks." With my own pups there is the rapid, excited licking of the face, and that reminds me of the puppyish greeting of their elders. Then sometimes one will settle and systematically lick my hand or foot all over, and this to me is more of a grooming behavior, the bonding with the pack as Tikeyas mom mentioned. Finally of course there is the "tasting" aspect, like the skin lotion, or I know when ever I put chapstick on Tasha tries to lick at my lips because she smells it. I'm not so sure on the "salt" theory. Certainly if they are licking you while you are sweating that would seem to explain it, but I think overall there are varying behavioral reasons and no one explanation that fits every case.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by K9soul
    Then sometimes one will settle and systematically lick my hand or foot all over, and this to me is more of a grooming behavior, the bonding with the pack as Tikeyas mom mentioned.
    I love it when Timber does that. I'll sit at the computer or somewhere and point to my leg and she'll immediatly start "grooming" it. It feels so good lol.

I don't like it when Leather licks me because her saliva is sort of sticky and gross feeling lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

I love it when Timber does that. I'll sit at the computer or somewhere and point to my leg and she'll immediatly start "grooming" it. It feels so good lol.

I don't like it when Leather licks me because her saliva is sort of sticky and gross feeling lol.
    I know what you mean there too. Tasha's licks seem a lot 'dryer' and Tommy's are more wet and sloppy . When Tasha is 'cleaning' my hand, she even pushes her tongue in between each of my fingers to make sure she gets all of me. It actually does feel good, like a massage. She is so sweet
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Sierra licks everyone and everything she gets the chance to!!
    Legs, Arms, Hands, Face, Socks, Pants, everything and anything she gets her tounge on.... she licks!!

Buddy, he just licks to kiss me, and always seems to wait till I have my mouth open (what a pervert)
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Sierra sounds like Tiny ! Could it be , they are just showing us love the way their mother did to them ?