Thread: My friend's dog has a lump

My friend's dog has a lump

My friend's American cocker spaniel has a lump on her chest. It is hard and attached. My first thought was a mamary tumor. However her adult friend told her it was just infected gland, so she doesn't seem very worried. The dog has had the lump for about a year. My other thought was it could be a fat deposit since her dog is overweight, but wouldn't it be squishy?

I always thought that dogs had the same glands as people, but I suppose I was mistaken, as I read on Amy's thread that Reggie's lump may be an infected gland. Does anyone know what kind of gland would be on a dog's chest? It's not directly on her chest...More like on her stomach.

I was trying to terrify her into going to the vet, but now that it's "just an infected gland" (or so her friend says) she's not really in a hurry. She is trying to raise some money incase she has to get it removed though...
    I've been BOO'd!

It can't be emphasized enough

If your puppy has a lump it needs to be needle aspirated, with the sample sent off to a Pathology lab. Sometimes a Vet can see fatty globules on the slide, and make a diagnosis of a fatty tumor. But outside of that it should be read by a Pathology lab. What a Vet can not do is just feel or look at a lump and make an accurate determination as to what it might be.

Since the growth has been present for a year it is most likely to be a cyst, or a non-malignant Fibrosarcoma. Although one can not eliminate a very slow growing Hemangiopericytoma. Again your friend needs a sample sent off to a Pathology lab.

Thanks for your reply, I'll tell her.

Are you sure it could be a cyst? I'm sure a cyst would have opened in less than a year. I dealt with a cyst when my rat got one. His lasted about a month.
    I've been BOO'd!

Cysts are strange

If the skin can keep up in growth rate, it may never open. Others as you have observed will pop early on.

My previous dog started with lipomas at 5 yrs, then came a couple of small cysts at 8 yrs that lasted to the end of her life, a Hemangiopericytoma, and a couple of months after that Lymphoma at age 10 yrs. Also a non-malignant fibroma occured during the last year of her life.

The Hemangiopericytoma was the hardest to detect, as it had the consistency expected for a cyst, but was not very large. The detection method was needle aspirate.