Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIDS: VH1 said:

My sense with the NBS is that if folks who were engaging in so-called high risk behaviour used them as a testing center, they would have a lot of blood they couldn't use, and in theory, since some tainted blood accidentally makes it's way into the blood supply, more tainted blood in the IBS might raise that risk.

That said, in my opinion their criteria for donating is outdated, and is in need of being updated.

cheers! Happy leftover day.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

There are several health centers around that offer free HIV screenings, the tests don't even use needles for those of you who are afraid. They put a cotton swab in your mouth, and then test the swab for the antibodies that are found in the saliva of those that have the virus. It's simple, painless, quick and free.. so for anyone who is sexually active I highly reccomend you get tested, you have nothing to lose.

And as for the bloodbanks it REALLY upsets me that gay men can't give blood. It's adding to that sterotype that only or all gay men have HIV.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I agree Uabassoon, it is irksome that gays can't give blood. It was the reason for my comment that the NBS criteria were outdated.
    And like you, I'd encourage anyone who is sexually active, even if you're in a monogamous relationship, or have only ever engaged in oral sex to consider getting tested. The swab doesn't hurt a bit.
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I had no idea gays couldn't give blood. What a crock!

I really am curious about this new report from the UN about Aids, released this week, that these news stories are coming from.

Has anybody got a link to the report, or an abstract, or the NYTimes?

CNN says 950,000 Americans have HIV or AIDS, up to 40 million worldwide. They compared it to the Black Plague.

39% of all adults in sub-sahara Africa.

in a news report Kofi Annan, UN head, was quoted as saying that Africa had a 'Weapon of Mass Destruction' problem.....AIDS.

as was stated before.....

the real problem is the governments...the controlling factions/parties/rulers find it easier to keep the people poor and stupid than keeping them safe.

Religion plays a part in the problem also....
    By forcing people to go underground with their sexual 'preferences' it makes taking the proper precautions
    harder - people, especially ones in the socio-ecomonic position common folk are subjected to in parts of Africa, do not have means to take those precautions...

A few years ago some bars in the West Hollywood area placed
    bowls filled with condoms on the bartops...People railed against the practice, saying that the readily available condoms promoted
    gay sex...

For me??

I would rather see truck loads of condoms parked on the street
    than see my tax dollars go to care for people who were inconsiderate to themselves and their partners....

No comment on how or what you do....Just a little peeved to see people put themselves above being careful...

The 64,000 dollar question..

How can we (as people) make a difference when there are so
    many people who do not recognize the problem?

Anyone who has seen the illness in action would immediately
    see the need to address this problem, not only locally, but in the 'world sense'.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by RICHARD

How can we (as people) make a difference when there are so
    many people who do not recognize the problem?

Anyone who has seen the illness in action would immediately
    see the need to address this problem, not only locally, but in the 'world sense'.
    Sigh. I think you hit the nail on the head. And, sadly, even when faced with the illness in action, some would still deny it, or deny how it came to be in their family/community.
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin