Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Thor, you will be missed :(

RIP Thor, you will be missed :(

Our family cat, Thor, a white persian/himilayan mix was euthanized a few days ago due to cancer of his sinuses/nose. He lived in California at my parents house and the other day Denny went in and Thor wasn't doing so well. He was laying on the bed in obvious pain with blood leaking from his nose. His nose was literally being eaten away. They had taken him to the vet awhile ago and were given anitbiotics and nose drops but it didn't clear up. Then they were given clavamox, and his eyes got better but his nose was still very bad. They aren't positive it was cancer, but this is what we think. The vet said he could have had a grass seed stuck in his nose which could have caused the infection, but tests alone would cost 800 dollars, which my parents obviously didn't have.

Thor came to them from a neighbor who neglected to feed and care for him, so he essentially became our cat. He was extremely matted when they first got him and I had to cut all his mats off, which he didn't like one bit! He was such a pretty and sweet cat, with the prettiest blue eyes you have ever seen. My parents took him to the groomers again, vaccinated him etc. They took him in when he wasn't wanted anywhere else. He became our cat. My mom loved this cat and so did my stepdad. But the decision was made by Denny that day when he was laying on the bed to take him to the vet. Denny chose to stay with him and comfort him in his last moments.

He crossed the Rainbow Bridge while my younger brother and sister were at school and my mother was at work. They didn't know until they got home. My mother was upset for awhile and called my stepdad "Killer", but she slowly began to except that he had made the right decision and did what was best for Thor. He ended his misery as hard as that was and now he is in a better place, chasing fluffy mice in the sky. *sigh* RIP Thor, we all miss you!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

And what is sad is that just a week and a half ago my moms parrotlett bird Sugar Baby died. That was a BIG blow to the family as he was bought for my bird after Sugar the first had passed away. My mom is really upset about this, and then to lose her cat as well. I am so sad just thinking about this but trying not to cry.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I am so sorry to hear about Thor.

RIP Thor, may you have safe journey to the Rainbow Bridge. I know when you get there you will have lots of friends and many fuzzy mice waiting.

I always wish that I had soemthing wise to say at this point, but I don't.

Prayers of comfort to you and the family.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Oh Cass, I'm crying as I read this, I guess because Max is a white Persian. RIP Thor. You are no longer in pain and can romp with the other kitties now, happy and healthy. Please watch out for your hooman family and Cass's family as well.

CatDad, I know what you mean. Every time I post something like this, I read it over and ask myself "will this bring comfort"??

Cass, do you have any pictures of Thor??
    Last edited by slick; 11-25-2003 at 10:47 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so sorry to hear about Thor's passing. At least now he's up at Rainbow Bridge playing happily and free from pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. RIP sweet Thor.

Oh Cass - I'm so sorry to hear of Thor's passing - {{{Hugs}}} across the miles.
    I hope your Mum comes to terms with it very quickly because I think Denny did the bravest, kindest thing he could have done. Maybe she spoke in shock I hope so.
    RIP at the Bridge sweet Thor - you'll have lots of sweet friends there.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

How sad!

Godspeed, little thor. He sounds like he had a happy life with your family, I just bet he was spoilt rotten! He was very lucky to have been found and loved by you all, and the little guy will be enjoying himself on the RB as we speak.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

((((HUGS)))))) I'm so sorry!

R.I.P. little Thor,

Kirsten

RIP Little Thor! Condolences and Sympathy from the Found Cats! May the Lord take you in his gentle hands , and The Cat Angels guide you to ythe promised Land.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm so sorry to hear about Thor , the emptiness can be unbearable after they pass on, but I'm sure you'll get through it. He seemed like a very sweet and strong-willed cat, I'm glad he was able to live in happiness with you and your family.

I can understand your mother's anger after your stepdad had him euthanized without her knowledge. If everyone was very attached to him, I would think it should be an executive decision to have him euthanized or pay for surgery and also, to have the choice to be with him in his final moments. I would have reacted the same way she did. Time heals all.

Good luck, always remember the good times, keep him memorialized with pictures and in your thoughts, and find comfort in that you gave him a home when nobody else would.

RIP Thor.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Your step dad did what was right for Thor. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him and that he believed that it was best to do it the way he did. He might have felt that he was sparing the rest of the family the anguish of the decision or it might be that Thor was suffering and waiting for the family would have only prolonged his pain.

Rest in peace Thor. It sounds like you found a very wonderful, caring family to spend the latter part of your life with. You will be missed.

These are not the droids you were looking for

So sorry to hear your bad news Cass. Have fun at the RB Thor.

I always thing that making the difficult decision to euthanise a beloved pet who is in pain is the strongest act of love immaginable. (((HUGS))))

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Your story made me cry. Most of all it brought back the pain still fresh from losing my cat a month ago. I could only agree on what everybody posted here. Words may not be much comfort but in time, the pain would be bearable. It would still be there everytime you remember him, but it comes with acceptance that he's in a better state now. I'm so sorry for you loss. It's hard to decide which is better for your mom, to be with Thor when he passes on or to not be there , that way she'll remember him alive and well. In the end , I believe your stepfather did what he thinks is best for everyone. I will pray for your family and your little angel.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Thor

I'm so sorry for the loss of Thor. If you talk or see Denny over the holidays, please give him an extra hug for me. It sucks being the one who has to do this. I hope the family comes to see that he did the right thing for Thor.

If It Should Be

If it should be I grow frail and weak
    And pain prevents my peaceful sleep.
    Then you must do what must be done
    When this last battle can't be won.
    You will be sad, I understand.
    Selfishness might stay your hand.
    But on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship take the test.

We've had so many happy years
    That what's to come can hold no fears.
    You'd not want me to suffer. So,
    When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend.
    Only -- stay with me until the end.
    Hold me firm and speak to me.
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time, you, too, will see
    It is a kindness that you do for me.
    Although my tail it's last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve it should be you.
    Who must decide this thing to do.
    We've been so close, we two, these years...
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I am so very very sorry!

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))