Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a morbid thread but...

I agree, what makes them so beautiful is that soul behind their eyes, the spark of life. I'd much rather see them in my memory the way they were while living than stuffed... I know that there have been people to have a pet stuffed but it just seems really creepy and morbid to me, unnatural.

Carole, it sounds like you have a very special place for your fur baby to rest in.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

THANK YOU k9soul, it is indeed very special to us, sometimes my new kitty lexie sniffs around his grave, its almost like she knows her soul brother is there, (yes i know probably some other cat has been there, and she is sniffing that) but I like to think differently, I call Sooti , lexie's soul bro, because they are so alike in personality, its almost uncanny, she is like the female version of him and a bit more.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

It is sort of morbid but unfortunately it's something that should be thought of beforehand so you're prepared when it happens and you don't have to think when you can't think. Since Sadie is 11 I try to prepare myself - mainly by being grateful for every day, but also by thinking what would I do. I think cremation and then an urn to carry with me everywhere. If I buried her in my yard I would never ever be able to move.

Something to think about

Yes, as the time draws nearer for our dear Angus we've decided that he will be creamated (as well as the girls when their time comes).
    We buried Keisha because of the circumstances of the time, but I wouldn't do it again. What if we ever move? I will have to leave my poor girl here

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Mine are all to be cremated and buried with me. I have met with an attorney to ensure this will happen (in TX to be buried with your pets you must have a will stating so), as well as certain other things, and to ensure that my wishes are carried out should I ever end up in a vegetative state or have a terminal condition.

That reminds me of a well known gay tv celeb, who did makeovers on the TV who was murdered, he left behind two dogs, his family had them put to sleep and buried with him, I found this extremely sad, and wondered why no-one took the dogs, both had severe health problems, well so they said, but it seemed a shame to me, still I guess at least they were united together.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

when i think about it it almost makes me wanna cry to think about not having mi dog
    LiSa NiCoLe

~!*&*!~Zane, parker, rizzo, tinkerbell, sounna, noodles, harley, persy, spike, kermit, yoshi, fredrico, tonks, beshy, nikko, bekko, fire~!*&*!~

I remember when Cody passed away and my vet, Dr. Glen Nielson, was explaining my options in what to do with his remains.. since I had never considered it really before.

He told me how he himself had all his dogs cremated and that it was in his will that six of them will be buried with him. I remember how comforted I was knowing that he loved his dogs so dearly and knew what I was going through.

o thats realy sweet
    LiSa NiCoLe

~!*&*!~Zane, parker, rizzo, tinkerbell, sounna, noodles, harley, persy, spike, kermit, yoshi, fredrico, tonks, beshy, nikko, bekko, fire~!*&*!~

Has it always been possible to have your pets cremated? Who does it--the vet? What are the costs involved? My parents never had their pets cremated; I wasn't even aware that it was an option until recently.

I think we would choose to have Lefty cremated--we're not living in our "forever home" so I really wouldn't want to bury him there, and I don't know that Massachusetts is our "forever state" so I wouldn't want to go the pet cemetery route. We want to be cremated ourselves so it seems natural to extend this to the rest of our "family."
    SMB ^ï^
    Bats--you need them more than you know!

Originally posted by Smilla
    Has it always been possible to have your pets cremated? Who does it--the vet? What are the costs involved? My parents never had their pets cremated; I wasn't even aware that it was an option until recently.
    I'm not sure, but I know that the larger the animal, the more it will cost. I want to get my ratties cremated, so they probably shouldn't cost too much.
    I've been BOO'd!

In the past Dick has always wanted our pets to be buried and that's what we did. I can't visit our other dogs because they were buried on friends property and they don't own the places anymore.

When Peach went in March, I insisted on having her cremated and placed in a beautiful urn. When the time comes Max has to leave us, we'll have him cremated and placed in the same urn with Peach. They were inseparable in life and should rest together. That way if we move, I can take the urn with us.

We have also decided that whichever of us goes first will take the urns of our pets with us. I find great comfort knowing that they will rest with me or Dick.

I would like to have mine cremated, so I can keep them forever.
    We probably aren't going to live here forever, so if we buried them, we would eventually leave them behind.
    I would want to have them in a beautiful urn, so they can go wherever I go.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Ok, sorry this explanation may seem sort of morbid but some people may want to know what to expect so here is my experience of it.

It was about $95 here for my collies (each), both large dogs. The vet didn't do it himself but there was a cremation company that came to the vet's office to pick up the pets to be cremated. Then they took care of that and returned the remains individually boxed with cremation certificates to the vet's office where owners could pick them up.

Now when Cody's was done, I think it was a different company that also would let you choose from three wooden box urns and seal up the ashes in them. I can't remember if that was included in the cremation cost or not. Willie I had to order an urn separately for and there are tons of options and you can see all kinds of things varying from expensive to inexpensive if you do a search on the net "pet urns". You can also see a lot of memorial items too without getting an urn.

I have no idea how costs may vary from place to place but hopefully that gives you some ideas.