Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad News

Sad News

My friends cat died yeasterday due to congestive heart failure. She is having a very hard time here at work today. I wish there was something I could do to make her feel better. Shakespeare was 11 years old and was an only cat. My friend first thought the reason of the heart condition was because of her move to her new house on friday. The vet told her that congestive heart failure was not caused by stress. This made her feel a little better. Is there anything I can do or say to make her feel a little better? She already visited the rainbow bridge site. Any advise on what I could do for her?
    Last edited by HayleyRosie; 11-24-2003 at 08:49 AM.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

The best thing you can do is continue to be there for her. She will appreciate having someone who doesn't think it's "just a cat", but understands her loss. You are a great friend! ((HUGS))

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I agree with Ally Cats Mommy, continue to be there for her. I know that after I lost Tony, nobody was able to comfort me for almost a week after he died. Nobody could say or do anything, but I remember what everyone did and said to me during that time, it just was that I was not ready to be consoled by anyone.

Everybody is different in their grief process, just continue to be there for her, respect her wishes (if she wants to be left alone or she would like company), and offer to her anything that you can do for her. She will come back around in time. Just being there for he is the most important thing right now.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Be there for her, she is having a hard time now...!

Sadly nothing that you can do , or say , will reduce the pain that a Pet Guardian has when thier beloved friend passes on! And it will happen to all of us , as they have such relatively short lifespans!Just be there for her , and let her know that her grief is nothing to be ashamed of! Found Cats send thier codolences to Shakespheares Guardian!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Just reiterate the fact that it wasn't her fault and that he's in a better place right now with other cats, and was happy with her in his time here on Earth. Let her know that he will be watching over her and will continue to live on in her heart and through cats that she will own in the future. Remember the good times and that 11 years is a happy long life for a cat.

I have pictures of my 2 childhood cats that have passed on on my refrigerator still and I think of them often. Perhaps a picture or a nice memorial stone in the backyard would help. Good luck! She's lucky to have a friend like you.

How very sad. Hug her, listen to her stories, offer support. Time will heal her heart. RIP., Shakespeare.

What a great friend you are and unfortunately what Gary says is true. Nothing you can say or do will take away the hurt. Just be there for her.

RIP Shakespeare and have fun at the RB.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm sorry about Shakespeare. Rest in peace and safe journey to the Rainbow Bridge.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
    The best thing you can do is continue to be there for her. She will appreciate having someone who doesn't think it's "just a cat", but understands her loss. You are a great friend! ((HUGS))
    I couldn't agree more. So many people will want her to just get over it. Being there will help her.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

yes, just being there is the best. Right now your friend needs time to grieve. If you are still feeling the need to do something else, you could give her a sympathy card (yes, you can get these for pets, I've received them from the vet when I've lost a furry loved one), or even just a handwritten note saying how much you care.

These are not the droids you were looking for

I am so sorry for her. I can't imagine the pain she must be feeling. Listen, if you have a picture of her beloved, I can make a magnet or keychain out of acrylic for her. I have done this for lots of people who have lost one of their babies and with the keychains, they can carry them around with them forever. I just need a photo, and an address to mail it to. Let me know, ok? And please relay my condolensces to her and give her a big hug from me, ok?

I'm so sorry for her, but I think the only thing you can do for her right now is continue to be there for her. Like what was said above, she needs someone right now for her that doesn't think its "just a cat".

RIP Shakespeare
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

I can only second what has already been said: Just keep being their for your friend and let her know that you understand the pain she is feeling. If you help her create a special memorial to Shakespeare, for example a page of favorite photographs in a special frame, it might help.
    Rest in Peace, Shakespeare.
    Steffi and Lovable

Everyone is right, just be there for her. That is one of the best things that you can do. A friend who is there that does not think of her beloved kitty as just a pet is one of the best things that she could have. It will just take time, like any passing of a loved one.

Please relay my condolensces to her and give her a {{HUG}}. You are a very good friend to be there.

RIP Shakespeare, I know you will have a great time on the Rainbow Bridge with all of are friends.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"