Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grammar, spelling and punctuation refreshers??

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    You are obviously confusing me with someone else if you think I go around being the spelling police of the board. I only mentioned it in THIS thread because it seems to be on topic here.
    WOW! Did I ever say anything in my post was directed at you?? Sheesh right back at you.

Don't be so quick to ASSUME that I was referring to you Twister. I was referring to ANYONE who obviously feels they are the spelling/grammer police on this board. There are some and I've seen it done a lot recently. It was not however, done by you.

We all have different levels of education, just like in the real world. Would you all correct someone over and over in person?

I don't think this conversation has anything to do with Tonya's original question.

I am a copy editor professionally, and I'd be happy to help anyone with specific questions. To answer the original question, this is an easy-to-use Web site: http://ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/

I find that the online version of the American Heritage Book of English Usage is helpful, too: http://www.bartleby.com/64/

Originally posted by Karen
    Any specific questions, just ask me! I'm an editor/proofreader (as well as Art Director) at my "other" job. And if I ever am a gazillionaire, I will institute mandatory attendance, nationwide apostrophe seminars. . .
    Karen, I know just how you feel. However, my mandatory seminar would be about intrusive commas.
    Oreo and Molly

Writing...Grammar, punctuation, and spelling has always come easily to me (Myself? j/k :P) but it's a hard thing for my brother to grasp. I'm pretty good at muddling through posts with less than spectacular grammar/spelling, especially if that person's native language is not English.

(I will not, however, expend any effort on a post that uses tons and tons of internet shorthand, all caps, or lots of l33t. )

Thank you Wolf_Q!

WolfChan,
    Now you see where I made my mistake. I am glad you read this.
    I am still red faced.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Babolaypo- That is what happened to my brother as well. He was put in an oxygen tent after he was born and inadvertently deprived of oxygen for a few minutes. It caused brain damage that wasn't noticed until he was 5 years old, when he was unable to learn to write letters like the other children.

He has an IQ over 120, but still writes like a small child. He is 56.

Originally posted by mahayana
    Babolaypo- That is what happened to my brother as well. He was put in an oxygen tent after he was born and inadvertently deprived of oxygen for a few minutes. It caused brain damage that wasn't noticed until he was 5 years old, when he was unable to learn to write letters like the other children.

He has an IQ over 120, but still writes like a small child. He is 56.
    I've seen a few other situations like this, interestingly, during the 50s and the 60s the oxygen tent itsel caused some additional problems, sadly. A number of children who were placed in them developed severe hearing loss (apparently the tents were quite noisy inside) and vision impairments (too MUCH oxygen).

They seem to have figured that part out now, but anoxia at birth can be a pretty devastating thing.

PS to the others, sorry to hijack this thread!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

[i]
    Karen, I know just how you feel. However, my mandatory seminar would be about intrusive commas. [/B]
    uh-oh. I'm toast. My dissertation advisor told me I used commas like Captain Kirk!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Originally posted by babolaypo65
    uh-oh. I'm toast. My dissertation advisor told me I used commas like Captain Kirk!
    Oh, dear, I'm, laughing, too, hard!

Originally posted by Kona & Oreo's mom
    I am a copy editor professionally, and I'd be happy to help anyone with specific questions. To answer the original question, this is an easy-to-use Web site: http://ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
    Beautiful! Is it six months notice, or six months' notice? Three months pregnant, or three months' pregnant? I see both a lot and can't remember what's right!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Miss Meow
    Beautiful! Is it six months notice, or six months' notice? Three months pregnant, or three months' pregnant? I see both a lot and can't remember what's right!
    According to the Chicago Manual of Style, it's six months' notice (analogous to the examples there: an hour's delay, three days' time).

I think, though, that it would be three months pregnant. "Pregnant" is an adjective rather than a noun, so it's not quite the same structure as the other examples. But I admit I'm guessing on that one.

A Quiz for you.

How`s your punctuation?

I am not revealing my score!

Originally posted by ChrisH
    A Quiz for you.

How`s your punctuation?

I am not revealing my score!
    I didn't understand at least three of the questions However, I jagged it and got nine!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by tatsxxx11
    Apostrophes 101 Courtesy of: Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL).

Remembered I had this bookmarked! Everything you'd ever want to know about the apostrophe!
    Go Purdue!! LOL LOL
    I just had to chime in here, because Purdue is my alma mater!

I took that quiz - I got 8 right, and the two I missed were counted wrong becuase I answered in the American style