Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grammar, spelling and punctuation refreshers??

Grammar, spelling and punctuation refreshers??

This is sort of a lame question, but oh well...I've noticed that my writing as slowly but surely went to heck since I left school. (Especially punctuation.) Is there any online refreshers or any simple and quick programs that you all know of?

Anyone up for starting a thread with lessons? You younger ones could help us out that haven't been to school in a while.

I'm not sure that im too good with punctuation, but im good with spelling!

I can't believe how much you can lose it if you don't use it. I used to be good at that stuff, now I'm always having to stare at what I type. lol. Thank God for spell check, but I still need a punctuation, grammar, and format check.

im pretty good at grammer, but punctuation, thats a big no! lol

Any specific questions, just ask me! I'm an editor/proofreader (as well as Art Director) at my "other" job. And if I ever am a gazillionaire, I will institute mandatory attendance, nationwide apostrophe seminars. This week, I went into two businesses near where I work to tell them they had mistakes in signs in their windows. They took it in good humor, at least!

I don't mind answering specific questions either. I used to be an English teacher, now as a university prof. trying to get tenure, I have to write quite a bit.

Oh, and language is my field, LOL.

I'll look for a couple of online lessons.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I looked under ESL (English as a Second Language) since that would be a likely place to find things for adults. This website looks promising:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/index2.html
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I've had a look at that site, babolaypo65; it's very good! I know I'm not perfect with my punctuation, but I try my best. It can be rather confusing when the rules change - as they did in Denmark. It's now correct to use either grammatical commas or pause commas, but sometimes you get them mixed up.

I think most people tend to use pause commas.

However, it's a pleasure to read a post written correctly. I suppose we can all learn a few things from those.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I know for sure that I abuse commas.

hehe

Then there's the old 'why does the apostrophe go?' question. Drives me crazy. People have been nice enough to try to help me out with this before but I'm still clueless.

It's the whole possession thing.

Example:

That's Elvis's collar. Was that right? Elvises? Elvi? (My personal favorite!)

lolololol
    ~Kat

I think it's Elvis' collar. LOL!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

English is a complicated language, filled with exceptions to spelling, endings of words, and general usage. Even pluralizing is a nightmare; you almost have to check the dictionary to see how to spell the same word as you apply it to different sentences.
    You may have to double or drop the last letter, or change the spelling entirely.

Reading a lot teaches you to recognise a word that doesn't "look right." But correct grammar comes more from memorizing exceptions than following the rules!

Has anyone else ever read Ferlinghetti? He wrote without any Capitals or punctuation marks. Now that is getting written word to imitate spoken language, full of ambiguity and the potential for misunderstanding!

I love to edit, too. But worry that pointing it out will meet with defensiveness. No one is perfect, and "bad" grammar doesn't really bother me.

Apostrophes 101 Courtesy of: Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL).

Remembered I had this bookmarked! Everything you'd ever want to know about the apostrophe!

Last edited by tatsxxx11; 11-22-2003 at 02:18 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Although I'm sure I make plenty of mistakes, I am usually fairly good at grammar and punctuation. If anyone has a question, I'll try to help.

Poor grammar, punctuation and spelling is very irritating, to say the least. Most of the time, I won't even read a post on a message board that is loaded with errors, or not in paragraphs.

It is all I can do sometimes not to correct someone's spelling or grammar. I'm not talking about every little petty thing - but the big, glaring things that make my eyes water. I certainly hope someone corrects mine when I make mistakes. I don't find that offensive, I find it helpful. How can we learn if no one helps us?

The internet has been a very valuable tool in that many kids who might otherwise have had no interest in typing or writing do a lot of these days. And that's great; it is wonderful practice. But, if they are practicing incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation, it is actually reinforcing bad habits instead of good.

I've always wondered how offended people would be if someone corrected their spelling on this message board? On other boards I post to, albeit ones with a more adult membership, people correct each other's errors, and everyone seems grateful.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I'd love having a little 'edit fairy' that came along and fixed all my goofs!

And I agree....I won't read a post that is all in lower case letters, loaded with spelling errors or is an entire run on sentence.
    ~Kat

15. Here are three that "make my eyes water" as Twisterdog puts it!

The people that or the person that...should be who..."the people who"

"That's where it's at" no,no,no..."that's where it is!" I blame this one on advertising. The "at" is both unnecessary and incorrect.

Myself If you use it, chances are it is used incorrectly! Me is not a bad word and is often the correct word. "Get back to John or me" is correct. "Get back to John or myself" is not correct!

You would not (I hope) say "get back to myself" you would say "get back to me."

Usually, if used correctly the "myself" can be taken out of the sentence without loss of meaning as in "Please mother, I'd rather do it myself!" If you said, "Please mother, I'd rather do it!" meaning is not lost.

There, my eyes have cleared and I feel better!