Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, I think Ozzy is sick!! =(

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Do you have a link that supports this that I can read?
    Nope, I don't know any links, but feel free to look yourself.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Nope, I don't know any links, but feel free to look yourself.
    Well I have researched the BARF diet quite a lot and have never read that many dogs on the diet suffer from pancreatitis like you stated. That's why I was asking if you could support your statement

Shelteez here is a site for you that says the guy who created the BARF diet said that pancreatitis is a possible side affect.. here's the quote from the web site.

Now before you try to argue with me or anything, I'm not saying that the majority of dogs on the BARF diet get sick. I do believe it is a great diet, but I do now that pancreatitis is a possible side affect from it.

"In his book, ["The Barf Diet," 2001] Dr Billinghurst mentions pancreatitis as a possible hazard when starting the Barf Diet. He says that this is more likely in the overweight dog receiving too much fat from, for example, fatty lamb. He himself recognises that fat causes pancreatitis and I must assume that he has encountered this condition several times on the BARF Diet."

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk..._Food_Diet.htm
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

The benefit of meat for dogs is protein not enzyme. Secondly, cooking the meat makes it much more digestible as raw meat has indigestible collagen proteins. In the wild, mother dogs eat the meat from a kill and regurgitate for their pups - serving predigested meat. In addition, raw meat is very high in fat. Thousands of dogs die every year from Pancreatitis, and some are disabled by this disorder after being fed a raw meat diet for a short time. Not only is raw meat high in fat, but the pancreas is made to produce enzymes. Supplementing with too many live enzymes can cause the pancreas to shut down. If your dog has Pancreatitis and you aren't aware of it – a high fat diet of raw meat could kill them.
    I know this is an anti-barf site, but you wanted an addy... http://secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    Now before you try to argue with me or anything, I'm not saying that the majority of dogs on the BARF diet get sick. I do believe it is a great diet, but I do now that pancreatitis is a possible side affect from it.

"In his book, ["The Barf Diet," 2001] Dr Billinghurst mentions pancreatitis as a possible hazard when starting the Barf Diet. He says that this is more likely in the overweight dog receiving too much fat from, for example, fatty lamb. He himself recognises that fat causes pancreatitis and I must assume that he has encountered this condition several times on the BARF Diet."

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk..._Food_Diet.htm
    Thanks for the interesting read.
    Dr. Billinghurst's book was so poorly written that I had a hard time getting through it and so probably didn't take much from it.

The only problem I had with this article was the author assuming that he [Dr Billinghurst] has encountered this condition several times on the BARF Diet. I hate people that just assume things. Why couldn't he have assumed he'd seen it lots in patients that were overweight and had been given fatty table scraps??

What I do like about this article is it isn't quick to condemn the other side, or the opposite view. He says raw may be good for some and cooked may be good for some and I agree with that.
    I hate when people think their way is the only way.

Thanks again for the link!
    Last edited by Shelteez2; 11-24-2003 at 02:16 PM.

Originally posted by Shelteez2

. He says raw may be good for some and cooke may be good for some and I agree with that.
    I agree. Dogs don't come with labels saying "This dog will get sick, and this dog won't." Dogs will react differently to different diets.
    I've been BOO'd!

I know this is an anti-barf site, but you wanted an addy... http://secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html
    well that was......interesting to say the least......

Here's a quick read for you

http://www.price-pottenger.org/Articles/PottsCats.html

I've read that before.
    I've been BOO'd!

BARF

B.A.R.F. itself is not to blame for the pancreatitis, anyone who doesn't know how to feed their dog can cause it. Even if you feed kibble (which your dog can just as easily get sick on) your dog may get it if you feed it fatty foods. It all boils down to moderation in all things.

BTW,, hello everyone.. I'm new here..

Cause when I look to the sky something tells me you’re here with me
    And you make everything alright
    And when I feel like I'm lost something tells me you're here with me
    And I can always find my way when you are here ~ Train "When I Look to the Sky"

Re: BARF

Originally posted by Blue Heeler
    B.A.R.F. itself is not to blame for the pancreatitis, anyone who doesn't know how to feed their dog can cause it. Even if you feed kibble (which your dog can just as easily get sick on) your dog may get it if you feed it fatty foods. It all boils down to moderation in all things.

Weclome to PT!

You're right, the diet itself isn't to blame. It can very much be blamed on the choices of meats that the owner buys. Lean meats are good because they don't have as much fat in them. Some of the richer dog foods can cause pancreatitis. Innova is a great dog food, and very high quality, but is often very rich and won't agree with a dog's stomach.
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: BARF

Originally posted by Blue Heeler
    Well well, fancy seeing you here!

You should do a intro in dog general and show some pics of your beasts

Re: Re: BARF

Innova is a great dog food, and very high quality, but is often very rich and won't agree with a dog's stomach.
    I have heard that about Innova before. I'm glad that my dogs don't have a problem with it as they love it a lot! The one bad thing I've noticed is that there seems to be more tartar than usual on their teeth since they've been eating it, but then the raw bones take care of that so I guess it's all ok in the end.