Thread: Wellness cat food

Wellness cat food

Does anyone feed their cats Wellness food? I took a few samples from the pet store to see if my two like it - but I don't think I can afford it! I am terrible at calculating, but from what I see - its $30 for a 94 ounce bag - Toby would need 6 ounces a day - this means the 30 dollar bag of food would only last 15 days! And thats only Toby's food!

I would like to know if anyone else feeds their cats this, and how long a bag lasts

Wellness

They have 12 lbs bags for $26.99.
    This size bag should last you 2 months feeding one kitty.
    Your only talking like 1 to 1 1/2 cups a day of food. Thats allot of meals with a 12 lb bag

Another example, I am feeding three kittys with 12 lb of Nurtro
    it's been a week hardly made a dent in the bag. I am measuring their portions, kittys aren't going hungry
    Last edited by Craftlady; 11-21-2003 at 11:24 AM.

It sounds like we pay the same price for Wellness. I pay around $16 (after taxes) for a small bag.

Nakita has been on Wellness (wet/dry) since I brought her home from the breeder. Until recently, she has been on a mix of dry foods, so I can't really tell you how long a 5 pound bag lasts here. But it does feel like I haven't gone to the pet store in ages!

I feed her probably between 1/5 - 1/4 cup dry a day and some canned food. But remember, she is only 5.05 pounds so she doesn't eat that much at all! Sometimes I feel like I am feeding a mouse rather than a cat!

I just looked at my bag of Wellness and it says an 8 oz. measuring cup = 4.7 oz Wellness dry. So you *wouldn't* be feeding Toby 6 oz (more like 3 oz).

Here is the daily recommended feeding chart for adults cats -

5 pounds - Feed 1/5 cup dry + 1/4 can wet (5.5 oz can)
    *OR* 1/3 cup dry

10 pounds- Feed 2/5 cup dry+ 1/2 can wet (5.5 oz can)
    *OR* 2/3 dry only

15 pounds - Feed 2/3 cup dry + 3/4 can wet (5.5 oz can)
    *OR* 3/4 dry only

SO, unless Toby is over 15 pounds (!) you would be feeding him 2/3 cup of dry food or less!

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Russian Blue; 11-23-2003 at 06:15 PM.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Kelcee was on Wellness for a few years, mixed with her Waltham Prescription food. She is 10 pounds and the 2 bags lasted forever, free feeding. Now I have switched her to just the Waltham.
    We had the dogs on Wellness also, but there was too much 'waste' in the yard. We thought that maybe they didn't use enough of it, so we switched back to Nutro and they seem to do very well on it.
    Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

thanks for the replies!

I plan on feeding dry only - and if I have to give Toby about 3 oz a day, that would cost me $30/month. I can live with that. Its double what I'm paying now though - and I won't last as long as Hill's SD.

For Lily, I can only get kitten in 47 oz bags - that would cost me about $20. 1 bag would last me about 15 days. Thats another $40/month.

Total = $70/month for cat food. Is this a bit outrageous? Do you guys pay that much? Wow ... I don't know if I can spend that much =/ I really like the Wellness brand, but its just VERY expensive.

at 3 oz a day (12 pound ) it is enough for 2 months, so $15 a month, like Craftlady said, not $30.

They have 12 lbs bags for $26.99.
    This size bag should last you 2 months feeding one kitty.
    1/4 - 1/2 cup

May vary according to activity level of cat.
    A standard 8 oz. liquid measuring cup = 4.7 oz. Wellness Dry Kitten Food 1/4 to 1/2
    I am not sure the age of the kitten, but here is the feeding amount for babies. So it seems like it will be a lot less than you had figured.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Re: Wellness cat food

Originally posted by ScantyNebula
    Does anyone feed their cats Wellness food? I took a few samples from the pet store to see if my two like it - but I don't think I can afford it! I am terrible at calculating, but from what I see - its $30 for a 94 ounce bag - Toby would need 6 ounces a day - this means the 30 dollar bag of food would only last 15 days! And thats only Toby's food!

I would like to know if anyone else feeds their cats this, and how long a bag lasts
    Hmmm...I feed this to Elvis, Elvira and Tigerlily and I think it lasts about 3-4 weeks.
    ~Kat