Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Abbey has a bladder infection....

I think Abbey has a bladder infection....

Before work today, I noticed that she was squatting an awful lot, but not peeing. She seemed ok then, playing and napping, and peeing right before I left, so I put it into the back of my mind.
    My husband called me at work to tell me she was squatting all over the house--poor thing, she knows she isn't supposed to go in the house, and she looks so sad She seems ok now, she just went out and squatted a couple times, but nothing came out.

I will call our vet first thing in the morning, but until then, what can I do for her?? She doesn't seem to be in any pain or anything,and she's pretty calm, so I don't know if I should do anything at all, and just let her sleep until I can call the vet in the morning.

She had one before, but of course it was during office hours. I could kick myself for not calling the vet this afternoon, but she seemed better

Any advice??
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

No advice here, but lots of sympathy since I personally have had a couple of bladder infections. I know cranberry juice is good for people but I don't know about dogs. Better wait to see what the vet has to say on this one. Please give Abbey lots of hugs from me and the furry ones. Poor widdle Abbey!

Poor Abbey girl!! I, too, know how painful these kinds of infections can be. My skin is crawling just thinking about it.

Let us know how it goes. Feel better Abbey!!!

Cranberry is good for dogs, as is tomato juice. I don't think I'd use cranberry juice as it might have a lot of sugar. You can get cranberry in capsule form though.

Aw poor Abbey. Ouchie. I had an infection after my hysterectomy (very bad timing for one, lemme tell ya) so I know how yucky they are. Chester's also had a couple. He was going out the pet door into the yard and hiking his leg and standing there for several minutes!

I hope you feel better soon, sweet girl.

Sending lots of get well wishes for sweet Abbey! (((ouo)))

Pam, My aunt also gets bad bladder infections.
    She lives off cranberry juice.

----<---<--<{(@

It sounds exactly like a bladder infection and it can be easily treated by your vet. Honey developed one, once, after being boarded for a few days. I think she got better overnight once she got her medication.

I hope Abbey will be better soon!

Your vet will probably prescribe antibiotics & it shoud make a big difference almost instantly (a day or so). They can be somewhat painful but if you catch it early & get it treated nothing to really worry about. Some dogs only get them once in a great while while others never & some frequently.

just a thought in case it keeps re-uccuring:
    My rott used to get bladder infections & uti's all the time, Once it would clear up about a few weeks later another would come along. We ran tests & x-rays, nothing. This happened for about 2 years straight (you can imagine how many carpets i had to replace) any ways she was on a pretty good food, & it never crossed my mind. Well I was working at the vets at the time so I got a great deal on good food. Then I quit & decided to change foods since the price between most good diets was about the same, and guess what, 3 years later and not one bladder or uti! Since then I have come accross this conversation with a couple other owners that experienced the same thing, and guess what they were feeding the same food I was feeding Raustyk. I explained it to them & they changed foods & bingo no more uti's for them since!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Abbey seems good today--but I'm taking a sample to the vet anyway. Last night it was in and out and in and out and in and out for a few hours, until she ran downstairs at one point. I tried calling her back up, and I noticed she was squatting at the bottom of the steps--poor girl
    Well, this time she actually peed--a river!! And in this river I found a little crystal, about the size of a small pea (the vegetable), so I saved it, and I'm bringing it in with her sample today. I just have to get a sample from her!!!
    She peed ok this morning, of course, when I wasn't watching, I was busy cleaning up Kito's and Jada's messes (they both threw up this morning!!!). I have my container ready, I just need her to go again.

Thanks for all your well wishes!!

Wow, Emily. Good job finding that crystal; I'm sure your vet will want to run an analysis on it. She may have had a bit of an obstrution from the stone and so great difficulty peeing Has she been drinking enough fluids lately? My Cody has had several infections over her lifetime, all easily treated with a course of antibiotics. Whenever one of the dogs, or cats are exhibiting signs and symptoms of a bladder infection, I drop off a sample for unialysis at the vet's, just in case. My guinea pig Squeekers suffered from bladder stones as well. I know many people believe that cranberry juice is effective in treating a bladder infection, but acutally it's benefits lay in drinking it on a regular basis, before you get an infection! It's been found to prevent the growth of bactieria in the bladder. BUT, lemonade has been found to actually prevent kidney stones! And you can get pure, unsweetened cranberry juice at the health store; but BITTER! Hugs and get well wishes coming your way sweet Abbey girl; feel better soon!! Check in when you can Emily!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 11-19-2003 at 09:42 AM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh, poor Abbey!! Hope she feels better soon!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

My husband took the stone to our vet, and she is sending it out for testing. Of course, Abbey went potty no more than 10 minutes after he left, so I have to wait for the sample.
    She wants to see Abbey too, because she said if there was 1, there could be more.
    Abbey seems fine right now, just playing with Riley and Jada, so I don't think she is in any pain--I could really tell she was miserable last night.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Update:

Our vet wants to see Abbey first thing in the morning. First thing, as in, before she even goes potty for the morning. She would like to x-ray her with a full bladder to check it out, and then get a sample while she is there.
    I'm sure it will be a fun morning, trying to let 3 dogs out to potty before I have to go, and making one stay inside, all by myself. If she doesn't make it, I at least have to get a sample for her, but she may have to go back again for x-rays.

Please keep us in your thoughts that I can do this tomorrow--it could be quite a chore, since she is always the first one out the door in the morning, and loves to go out.

Could you crate her or put her in another room before letting everyone else out?

Oh poor Abbey How perfect that you found that stone to bring to the vets). I hope that was the only one & she will be alright now.
    Has she been to the vets yet? Let us know what he said when you can.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets