Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many is too many?

How many is too many?

Well, I never thought I would be writing this because I always feel like I have enough love for all my pets, but recently I have begun to wonder how many is too many.. I live in Las Vegas and have 2 dogs of my own. I am planning a move to New Hampshire where my animals will have 5 acres to run. I am moving with a friend who also has 2 dogs--thus there will be 4 dogs in the household. That is NOT the problem. Here it is... Last weekend when helping animal rescue orginizations at PetSmart with the save a life for the holidays, I encountered a 6 year old blue merle female great dane named Gracie. Since that day I have not been able to get her out of my head. I believe in love at first site-- and I am in love. I have been going over and over and over it in my head.. 5 is too many dogs.. Can you give them all equal attention and this dog is a HORSE!! That is my situation, anyone got any suggestions? I am driving to the animal shelter to see Gracie on Thursday-- yes, she is still there.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

I am not going to be terribly objective here, especially as one of the beloved family pets in my history was a rescued (from clueless owners) Great Dane mix named Gracie! Black, not merle, but sweet as can be. I would probably not have any chance as resisting her, myself.

That said, are you sure you should add another dog right now? Perhaps you should wait until all four dogs are living together, in the same house - that may be a big adjustment in itself. Moving halfway across the country will be another adjustment, and both could be pretty stressful on your current dogs. I know, once you're in New Hampshire Gracie will be too far away ...

I don't think that any particular number of dogs is "too many" but that each canine/human family has its own dynamic to work out, and yours will be no exception!

Don't let Gracie's size be any determining factor - both rescue Danes I have known have been very sweet, not at all territorial, just happy to be loved!

I think you are a star to worry about this before acting on your first instinct. For a lot of people one dog is too many, some can live with many. Only you know the time, energy and space you have and if you can cope. I would say it would probably be better to get settled into the new house as any new dog already has a lot to cope with without adding moving house onto the list. It would be impossible for you to do everything as well!!!! Let us know what you decide, only you can make the right choice. I try to think that if I have any doubts at all after going through a problem then I haven't found the right solution. Good luck.

I have just gone through sort of the same problem myself. I went to the animal shelter just to see what the place was like where my boy had been. (I got him from a family who had adopted him from there and were going to take him back.) Of course, while I was there, I saw a Rat Terrier who stole my heart. He was having a hard time being caged and I had had a Rat Terrier as a child who decided it wanted to be my mother's dog. The need to rescue, the need to get the love of that long ago dog, and the joy of a third dog all were pulling on me. My husband said, "No more dogs." It absolutely weighed on my mind for the longest. Once the dog was adopted, I felt a little better. All the time, way in the back of my mind, I knew that my husband was right.

I too, think you should wait. When you get settled and see how things develop and your other dogs get adjusted and you can consult with your friend, there will always be another perfect dog needing a home.

You said you were going back to the shelter tomorrow. I did that too. It made it much more difficult.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited December 13, 2000).]

This is a tough one. My tendency has always been to lead with my heart, sort out everything else later. Not always the best route to take. The idea that you will have 5 acres is a very tempting "positive," although I agree that everything considered: The move itself, the stress of the move on everyone, getting settled, really starting a whole new family, are all factors to be considered. After you're settled, I'm sure adding another pup will be a lot easier. But, you have to do what you think is best for all of you. I tend to think, if I don't do it, adopt the poor litte soul who needs a home, no one will, and something terrible will happen. Hopefully Gracie will be adopted. I don't know whether going back to the shelter is a good thing or not. That might be very hard on you. If she's been adopted, I'm sure you will feel very relieved; if not, you will probably be more conflicted! Follow your heart, and pepper it with a little common sense! You're a good soul. I'll be rooting for you and Gracie and the best outcome for you both.

Something else to think about, although if you are sure then I'm not trying to put you off. Moving in with a person with dogs of their own is a bit stressful. You should really agree on house rules and when you are allowed to discipline each others dogs and how you do it BEFORE you move in together. Even then expect some problems. No matter how well you are prepared there are going to be times when your thinking about the dogs is likely to be different. Talk about this and save yourselves a little heartache!!
    It sounds like a wonderful house by the way. Good luck in it and don't take too long to get the computer unpacked!!!!

Hi everyone. I wanted to thank you all for your input on my problem.. I did forget to leave a few details out that in retrospect could be important.. I am activly involved with 2 dog rescue groups so I see ALOT of dogs weekly. Also, my dogs and my friends dogs are together constantly-- at least 4 days per week.. So they are used to eachother and love eachother to death.
    I did see Gracie yesterday. She is soooooo beautiful. My childhood dream come true. I have though, come to the conclusion that if someone wants to adopt a senior citizen and will give her a great home, I will let her go- what ever is best for her.

Thanks again for all the great input.
    Michelle
    Originally posted by carrie:
    Something else to think about, although if you are sure then I'm not trying to put you off. Moving in with a person with dogs of their own is a bit stressful. You should really agree on house rules and when you are allowed to discipline each others dogs and how you do it BEFORE you move in together. Even then expect some problems. No matter how well you are prepared there are going to be times when your thinking about the dogs is likely to be different. Talk about this and save yourselves a little heartache!!
    It sounds like a wonderful house by the way. Good luck in it and don't take too long to get the computer unpacked!!!!

Michelle,

I feel that your heart is breaking How about putting a time frame on it, let fate decide. If she's not adopted by ??/?? then you go and adopt her.

When I looked into the eyes of my beautiful aussie mix, it was love at first sight. I know how that is. I still remember seeing him behind bars looking at me with those expressive eyes. I decided that instant that he was meant for me and I took him home the next day. I feel that you should listen to your heart. If your heart tells you that Gracie is meant to be with you, I don't feel that your heart could lie about such a thing. Please do keep me/us posted on your decision. Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by AdoreMyDogs (edited December 15, 2000).]

Oh Michelle!!! Listen to your heart. When I saw my Cody's picture in the supermarket on a flyer that said "Cookie file #29020484 "Dog Unwanted," I wanted to die! Why did I have to see that!!!? I knew it really wasn't a good time for another dog. But is it truly ever? Yet, I just COULDN'T get her out of my head. 5 YEARS LATER!!! Love of my Life! Not that it was easy. Cody was severly abused. It took us all a little time and lots of patience, but now...All is well. Everyone, including the other 4 furkids, fared well. I know now, it was meant to be. I agree with AdoreMyDogs....Listen to your heart and maybe set a time limit.? It sounds like you are a "grounded" individual with lots of doggie experience. It also sounds like Gracie is really weighing on your mind. Like Cody did!!! I am sure in the end you will make the right decision for you and all the others in your life. Please let us know, OK?

I can uderstand where you come from, I went to the Humane Soc and wanted a small fluffy dog, and came home with a very tall sleek, greyhound who is my world. She looked at my and I was lost. The one thing that keeps bothering me tho is when she gets loose (completely accidently I take all percautions for her not to get loose and she still does!!!)The other night she broke her collar and the only thing I could think of is , I can't handle this, If she keeps doing this she is going to have to go back to the H.S. And its not like I have only had her a month I have had her over a year , when she runs like that (and I know it is pure instinct) it is like a knife thru my heart. And I felt like I had lost my best friend when I thought that. Please don't kick me off the board!!!!!
    Michelle, I don't mean to go on a tangent, I agree with the time limit idea, but is she in a no kill shelter. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted and good luck with your move!!!
    Smiles
    Staci

Shais Mom,
    I am so sympathetic...I know that Honey would take off if she had the opportunity. It is a total insecurity with my girl. I rearranged some furniture this morning and she refused to go outside through the door where I moved the furniture. It is so sad! that poor, pitiful thing is scared of everything. I think, at this point, that we can't take it personally. There is something in the personalities of these dogs that we didn't have anything to do with. Honey has been with me since she was 6 weeks old. She is frightened of anything unusual. I think all you can do is do everything you can to protect your dog from escaping. Beyond that, make sure she is well identified. What else can you do?
    Good luck to both of you.
    Logan

Thank you Logan. I am very apprecitive of your support. :-)

Originally posted by shais_mom:
    The one thing that keeps bothering me tho is when she gets loose (completely accidently I take all percautions for her not to get loose and she still does
    I think you should start a separate topic with this, because I think that it is a common problem and deserves an open discussion. Some people may not see it under this heading.

And you are on this board to STAY.

You have 5 dogs? Things are all OK and you aren't pulling your hair out and all your dogs are loved? Or maybe you have some cats--smaller more independent furkids. Whatever the case.. Keep up the great work!! Michelle
    Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
    Oh Michelle!!! Listen to your heart. When I saw my Cody's picture in the supermarket on a flyer that said "Cookie file #29020484 "Dog Unwanted," I wanted to die! Why did I have to see that!!!? I knew it really wasn't a good time for another dog. But is it truly ever? Yet, I just COULDN'T get her out of my head. 5 YEARS LATER!!! Love of my Life! Not that it was easy. Cody was severly abused. It took us all a little time and lots of patience, but now...All is well. Everyone, including the other 4 furkids, fared well. I know now, it was meant to be. I agree with AdoreMyDogs....Listen to your heart and maybe set a time limit.? It sounds like you are a "grounded" individual with lots of doggie experience. It also sounds like Gracie is really weighing on your mind. Like Cody did!!! I am sure in the end you will make the right decision for you and all the others in your life. Please let us know, OK?

I ynderstand about "runaway dogs" my own boxer has decided on many occasions to jump my 7ft fence and see what the kids down the street are doing. I met a lady who does greyhound rescue in Utah and she may be able to help you. She runs the Greyhound gang and she has a website I believe of that name. Good luck! Michelle

Originally posted by shais_mom:
    I can uderstand where you come from, I went to the Humane Soc and wanted a small fluffy dog, and came home with a very tall sleek, greyhound who is my world. She looked at my and I was lost. The one thing that keeps bothering me tho is when she gets loose (completely accidently I take all percautions for her not to get loose and she still does!!!)The other night she broke her collar and the only thing I could think of is , I can't handle this, If she keeps doing this she is going to have to go back to the H.S. And its not like I have only had her a month I have had her over a year , when she runs like that (and I know it is pure instinct) it is like a knife thru my heart. And I felt like I had lost my best friend when I thought that. Please don't kick me off the board!!!!!
    Michelle, I don't mean to go on a tangent, I agree with the time limit idea, but is she in a no kill shelter. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted and good luck with your move!!!
    Smiles
    Staci