Thread: Oh what a night we had.

Oh what a night we had.

What a night, we where woken up at 1am by a smell coming through the windows. It filled our house in seconds. We Closed all the windows and sprayed the house with so much air fresher that it made me sick.

Tuffy and Ginger had found a skunk!!!!! It was a smaller breed of skunk and from what we've been told and smelled, it has a stronger smell then the average skunk. It was nasty.

So at 1am my husband outside, in his underware with a towel over his noes looking for the skunk and dogs. (I should have taken a picture.) I'm getting dressed ready to go to the store and buy out all the tomato jucie they had to wash the dogs with.

Lucky dogs and lucky us, they didn't get hit by the skunk, I guess the skunk missed them. They did killed the skunk though and we buried it right away hoping that would help cut down on the smell. But no, I still have a front yard that smells and I can't open up any windows.

I'm hoping that in time the smell will just fade away, but in till then do you know of anything that will kill the smell from a yard?

BTW.....Tuffy dug the skunk back up again and was using it as a play toy. We buried it again, of course, but thanks to Tuffy we had to indure the smell all over again.

What,, dog toys are not good enough for him!!! He needs that for a play toy. What dog in their right mind would want to play with such a nasty smelling toy.

Never a dull moment with him around, got to love him.

I don't really know of anything that would get the smell out of the yard, but for indoors one of the best things for helping to get rid of a nasty odor are those Citrus scent air freshener that have like a strong orange smell. It totally overpowers a nasty scent.

This is the one I use: http://www.californiascents.com/petcare/citrus.htm
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Boy! Do I feel sorry for you.
    I can only imagine what your yard must
    smell like.

----<---<--<{(@

Re: Oh what a night we had.

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    What dog in their right mind would want to play with such a nasty smelling toy.
    This sounds like my two who just love to roll in God knows what in the yard right after a bath! Go figure!

Be very thankful that no dogs were sprayed in this incident! Years ago I had a miniature poodle (now at the RB) who was sprayed through a picket face. She got it pretty bad in the face and her eyes were really red and she stunk! The vet told us to wash her in Summer's Eve Douche. About two weeks ago we had a skunk again behind our house on the other side of the fence. Bella and Ripley were going nuts with excitement but fortunately Mr. Skunk did his spraying before they were let out. The smell lingered in the yard for hours but eventually went away. I sure hope Mr. Skunk went away too - miles away!

When I was a kid, My RB Christy used to sleep outside of the tent when we went camping. One time she and the tent got sprayed. We stayed in that dang tent for what felt like several days. My parents insisted on finishing the trip off. I remember them using tomato juice on Christy. As far as the tent went, it was set up in our backyard forever to get that smell out.

Oh, you poor poor thing!

Skunk smell is just so hard to get rid of. Max was sprayed by a skunk 3 weeks before we got him from the shelter and he still stunk for 2 months after! We used everything to get it out.

I feel for you!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Well the smell is fading some. I can at least walk out my front door without gaging. Today it's raining so I'm hoping that will wash most of it away.

Tuffy has a small amount of skunk smell to him now, I guess that was from playing with the dead skunk, or rolling in the spot the skunk sprayed. So bath time for him today. I'm going to try the summer's eve thing instead of the T. juice. I rather him smell like a summer's eve them a bloody marry. lol. Thanks for the idea.

I found out from a neighbor that it was a civic cat, a form of skunk that he says is a 100% worce. I've never heard of a civic cat before but I know it was the strongest smell I have ever smelled so I'm trusting he is right.

I hope there are no more around for a long time........never want to smell that again. My neighbor said he smelled it at his place and he's several acers away, so that tells you how strong it was.

Just at the point when the weather nice enough her to turn off the air and open the place up and I get a skunk. Just my luck.