Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Signs she's going into heat?

Just a little more info on spaying/neutering to fill your heads

I think almost everyone here agrees that it's best to spay/neuter your pets, to prevent cancers and what not.
    I recently heard about a study, though, in which the initial findings were that early spay/neuter can substantially increase the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer), *especially* in breeds prone to it. The study, done on Rotties, showed that males neutered prior to 7 months were 400% more likely to develop bone cancer in their lifetimes.)
    The person I heard this from didn't have a link to the info, but did have a copy of the abstract which I'll post here:
    Influence of Gender and timing of Gonadectomy on risk for appendicular bone sarcoma in Rottweilers

Cooley DM, Beranek B, Glickman LT, Waters DJ.
    Departments of Veterinary Clinical Sciences and Veterinary Pathobiology Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907

Background: The role of sex hormones in bone sarcomagenesis has not been extensively studied. In a previous study using the Veterinary Medical Database (VMDB), Ru et al. (Vet J 1998:156 ??-39) found a significantly increased risk for osteosarcoma in castrated males and spayed females compared with sexually intact dogs. However, this VMDB-based study could not evaluate whether age at neutering significantly influenced osteosarcoma risk. Purpose: To determine if gender or lifetime duration of gonadal exposure influences the risk for appendicular bone sarcoma in Rottweilers. Methods: Data were obtained from owners of 746
    purebred Rottweilers as part of a nationwide, population based study. Each dog owner completed a questionnaire regarding gender neuter status, age at spay or castration, bone tumor occurence, age at diagnosis, current vital status and age of death. The incidence of appendicular bone sarcoma per 1000 dog years at risk was determined for intact males, castrated males, intact females, and spayed females. The relative risk (RR) and 95% confidence limit of appendicular bone sarcoma
    was calculated by dividing the incidence rate for each gender-neuter category by the incidence rate for intact males (reference category; rr=1.0). For males and females, the influence of lifetime exposure to gonadal hormones on bone sarcoma was determined by comparison of the incidence of four subgroups stratified by age at neutering. Results: Appendicular bone sarcoma affected 111 of 746 (14.9%) Rottweilers. The RR for bone sarcoma was 1.64 for castrated males, 1.36 for spayed females and 1.04 for intact females. Females spayed at <1 year of age had a significantly increased risk for appendicular bone sarcoma compared with intact
    females (RR=2.21). Similarly, males castrated at <1 year of age had a significantly increased risk for bone sarcoma compared with intact males (RR=3.12%) Conclusions: In this population-based study, Rottweilers that underwent gonadectomy at <1 year of age had a significantly increased risk for bone sarcoma. These observations may be explained by either a direct effect of sex hormones on skeletal homeostasis or by indirect effects on body conformation or physical activity.
    Alternately, confounding factors unique to dogs that undergo early spay or castration may account for this association.

And also here's a link to an article on the etiology (cause) of different canine cancers. http://ravenwooddals.tripod.com/cancer.htm
    Here's the section on osteosarcoma:
    VI. Osteosarcoma

Bone tumors in dogs are very similar to those in humans. The small region between the shaft and ends of the long bones (the metaphysis, where growth occurs) is the most common site. These tumors are usually high-grade, aggressive, and usually spread to other parts of the body. The lung is most commonly involved.

Osteosarcoma tends to affect larger breeds with a slight increase in incidence with age. Males are more likely to be affected than are females. And since neutered dogs and bitches have twice the risk of developing the disease as compared to intact dogs, hormonal factors are thought to play a role.

Weight-bearing long bones of the legs are most frequently involved, especially the metaphysis of the radius. Breeds which weigh over 80 pounds are 61 times more likely to develop bone cancer than dogs weighing less than this amount. Also, the rates of developing bone cancer between breeds increases with standard height of the breed independent of the dogs' weight. This means, for example, that when you consider two breeds which weigh over 80 pounds, say an Irish Wolfhound and a mastiff, the wolfhound has a higher likelihood of getting osteosarcoma because he is taller at the withers. However, within a given breed, heavier animals are more likely to develop the disease.

As in human children, development of bone cancer in dogs is related to rapid bone growth. It is postulated that strenuous activity causing microscopic fractures of bones during periods of rapid growth induces cancer formation. Since taller dogs have a longer growth period than smaller ones, they are exposed to the risk of getting the cancer for a longer period of time. Likewise, heavier dogs are more likely to stress their developing bones leading to the microscopic fractures that start the tumor development process.

Ionizing radiation (as is given in radiation therapy) and having a metallic implant in the repair of a fracture are both associated with developing osteosarcoma. However, given their rarity in dogs, neither of these two factors is likely responsible for a significant number of bone tumors.

Anyways, interesting reading to say the least.

Ill be sure not to ask questions on here again . If im only going to get put downs
    I hope you don't really feel that way. I honestly didn't see anyone putting you down anywhere in this post. We were just giving our opinions, trying to give you good advice and help you.

Besides ... after I come snatch Tiny, she'll be living with me anyway!
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't know when it changed, but amoore is the most responsible dog owner that I know! She spoils all of her babies to no end...I spoil my little April too, but amoore, she is so great with tiny and jojo and all her little pets. That's a fact.

Amoore, please do not become discouraged, let it pass. I read the page here, and all you did was ask a question and I saw no call for the question to be answered in such ways. It was undeserved, and it reminds me of Karen's thread that I thought was such a blessing, "Be Nice". That wasn't so long ago, and it does seem that you got a few attacks here from your very good question you asked. Remember, you are here to talk about your pet, that you love so very dearly and to tell people your kind thoughts on their dear pets, not to be attacked. Keep asking your questions, and when you get attacked, just ignore it. Keep telling us about your sweet, well-cared for pets! I love hearing about them and I am sure you have plenty of other Tiny fans here too. Think of us!
    I hope you are okay. I know how that hurts.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Good point! That's probably it.

And yes, castrating is much easier. They will even let the vet techs do it. You know that they can do it without anesthesia if you want? I think that's just terrible!
    They charge more for larger animals due to a combination of reasons, they use more anesthesia (which to complete the anesthesia they use a multiple of drugs, a pre-op shot, one that makes them wake up smoother etc), the procedure takes longer because everything is larger (more to cut, more to remove) they use more sutures, the amount of cleanup takes longer.

Although you can castrate an animal easier than spaying it should still have anesthesia, especially in dogs!
    Never seen a vet tech neuter a dog (it is illegal anyways in my area) although they do alter male cats.
    Male cats are so easy I have neutered quite a few while working as a vet tech. If I had anesthesia I would go around to all the farms etc... & neuter them for everyone that does not have enough $!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.