Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signs she's going into heat?

Signs she's going into heat?

My vet told us that we could spay Sylvia when she was 6 months old, but if it was his puppy he would wait till the first heat. We really trust him so we are waiting for her first heat to take her in. Don't worry, she is never out of our sight and Harley is already altered so she won't get pregnant. Anyway, are there any signs that she will be in heat soon. It looks like her genitalia is swelling a little. She isn't acting sick, so I wasn't worried about the swelling. The swelling could also be me being paranoid. Is this a sign that she will be in heat soon??
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

you really should get her spayed befor she goes into her first heat. If you get her spayed after her first heat she will be 70% more likely to develop cancer in her overies as she gets older ... please spay her asap. WE are spaying our *almost* 5 month old great dane this friday. There must be a vet around your area that will spay at 5 months... Mine does..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

This point can be talked about till were ALL blue in the face!
    Everyone will make there points and share there thoughts, listen to them all, and make your own choice! The MOST important thing is that like you said, she does not get out and hook up with some young stud!!!

I had an appt to get Sierra fixed when she was 6 months, but went into heat one week before the appt. So we had to wait, she's only 2 1/2 now. As far as the swelling ... yes, I noticed that with Sierra.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

YES spayine BEFORE the first heat greatly reduces the risk of cancer in BOTH the ovaries & the mamrary glands as well.

Personally I would seek another vet if I was told that.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Spaying after the first heat MAY help with her growing body (mostly in larger dogs) but cancers are greatly greatly reduced.

Signs of going into heat may include one or more of the following and possibly other behavioral signs: swelling, bleeding, the nipples may enlarge, she may be more clingy or more distant, not wanting to listen, wanting to roam, wanting her butt area touched more, putting her butt in other dogs faces.

Even though your male is neutered he still can easily notice the signs & smells she produces, he may start to mount her & be close to her, follow her.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

smaller dogs USSUALLY go into heat later than larger dogs, tiny dogs ussually go into heat around 7-9 months some tiny ones may not even go into heat until a year of age, larger dogs ussually go into heat around 5-6.5 months.
    Sylvia is a pug & is 8 months? she should go into heat around now.

Originally posted by lv4dogs
    YES spayine BEFORE the first heat greatly reduces the risk of cancer in BOTH the ovaries & the mamrary glands as well.

Personally I would seek another vet if I was told that.
    I would too. What an old fashioned idea. It will greatly reduce the chances if cancer if done early.

They are spaying puppies and kittens at very early ages now. Aly's former foster Piper was spayed around halloween and she was, I think (?), approx 3 mos. Her foster boy, Sebastian was neutered even earlier.

We got Katie spayed when she was 6 months old. I hope you get your dog spayed though soon. *Which I know you will! * I have no clues for sighs for dogs, but I do know some for cats.

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    you really should get her spayed befor she goes into her first heat. If you get her spayed after her first heat she will be 70% more likely to develop cancer in her overies as she gets older ... please spay her asap. WE are spaying our *almost* 5 month old great dane this friday. There must be a vet around your area that will spay at 5 months... Mine does..
    Umm if she's spayed, no matter what age, she won't have ovaries.

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    Umm if she's spayed, no matter what age, she won't have ovaries.
    Really? I was under the assumption that they left the ovaries for estrogen, since lack of estrogen can cause incontinence. That’s one of the main reasons human Dr’s leave the ovaries in women, for the estrogen benefits.

Ok, I'm not going to even mess with something like cancer! Right after the first reply from tikeyas_mom I called the vet and took the earliest available appointment. Sylvia is going to be spayed and microchipped on December 2nd. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm sure I'll be posting on this subject in about a week and a half because I'm already nervous for her.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Originally posted by My Peanuts
    Ok, I'm not going to even mess with something like cancer! Right after the first reply from tikeyas_mom I called the vet and took the earliest available appointment. Sylvia is going to be spayed and microchipped on December 2nd. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm sure I'll be posting on this subject in about a week and a half because I'm already nervous for her.
    So glad to hear that you've already made the appointment. Try not to worry too much (though I did with Chester) and let us know as soon as she's out! I'll be saying a prayer on the 2nd for Sylvia.

Originally posted by micki76
    Really? I was under the assumption that they left the ovaries for estrogen, since lack of estrogen can cause incontinence. That’s one of the main reasons human Dr’s leave the ovaries in women, for the estrogen benefits.
    Well I was under the impression that they took everything out. ??
    Hmm now I'm off to do some research.

The surgeon makes a small incision on her abdomen (belly area) and removes the two ovaries and uterus, usually just above the cervix. All vessels and tissues are ligated (tied off) to prevent bleeding and lessen chances of post-operative bleeding or infection. Once the ovaries and uterus are removed, the surgeon begins the closure of the body wall and skin -- muscle, subcutaneous, and skin are sutured (stitched) back together
    I got this from this site:
    http://vetmedicine.about.com/library.../aa100500a.htm

I remember my vet advising that Tasha be spayed asap, and she was spayed at 5 months. I worried too and I swear I was in tears on the way home cause it was the first time I had ever "left" her somewhere and she had cried as I walked away from her. She couldn't have understood I wasn't leaving her. It broke my heart.

We all got through it just fine though.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge