Thread: Gosh Darnit, Katie!!!

Gosh Darnit, Katie!!!

Urgh! Katie is peeing on the couch AGAIN! Not to mention she peed on my bed yesterday.

No - she doesn't have a urinary tract infection. I just had her checked.

Yes - her litterbox is immaculately clean!

This is so frustrating! I just called the place where I bought the couch, and it's been discontinued. They don't have cushions or cushion covers I can buy.

??????HELP!?????

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Try only ALLOWING her in certain areas of the house until she becomes better trained, have more litter boxes, use PetNO or some other deterrant on the places she's gone that she isn't supposed to go in, put her in the litter box directly after eating/drinking.

Looks like she's still young from the picture. If so, you've still got time. I've heard though, that after a certain point they won't learn (old habits die hard)

You live in the UP... you've got to be made out of tougher material than I am! You can make it through it!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

She's 16 weeks - so I'll bet she's approaching the age when she'll be really difficult to train. I guess I'll get the ol' crate back out. My house doesn't really have doorways on most rooms - the only rooms I could lock her in are bedrooms and bathrooms. I'd hate to lock her in a bathroom!

Good luck I wish I had better advice for you. The only training problems I've had were with Marshmallow (she was mad when we brought her brother home). A little pet no worked. Hope you have better luck!

Was she taken from her mother early? I know usually the mother cat teaches the kittens. We had a litter that the mom was hit by a car and unable to take care of her babies, so we had to train them. lots of work

I'm so sorry she is having problems again. Maybe she still smells urine from the last time she went on the couch and that is drawing her to it. I'm sure you've gotten this advice before but if you haven't tried it get some Nature's Miracle. It really worked for me on a chair cushion that was totally soaked by a cat we fostered for two weeks last year. I was amazed at how well it did.

Also have you tried Feliway? I've been using that for the past 7 weeks since Ripley sprayed my newly painted walls and new carpet. It has worked wonders (knock on wood) plus it seems to have calmed some of the riff between Ripley and Scout. You can buy it at most pet stores but I found it to be much cheaper to buy online from Petsmart, especially if they are offering free shipping. I'm also using a Feliway Comfort Zone Plug-In. Not cheap but it's cheaper than having my new furniture and carpet ruined.

From Decker with Love

What exactly are feliway and petno? How do they work?

I think you're right - she is smelling the old urine. But maybe the feliway and petno will work. I'll go look them up.

Here I was getting all excited because I thought I had it all figured out and that she was just picky about litterbox cleanliness.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having those problems with Katie. It can be very frustrating. For no apparent reason, my Romeo had peed on my down comforter, not long after I brought him home. I was so worried about him doing it again, or smelling just a hint of
    the pee on the blanket, had I gotten it dry cleaned, so I just threw the blanket away. I know that is not a practical solution, I can't imagine what I would have done if had peed on the couch. I would think that if you used some natures remedy to clean the stain out, and then used some detterant as mentioned before,it may work. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help! Good luck!

Kim, I love my signature! Thanks!

The deterrants mentioned smell bad to cats and make them not want to be near whatever has been sprayed by them. Some use newspapers, others can be sprayed directly onto surfaces. They are marketed under many different names.

I just ordered a deterrent called B'Have, and some Nature's Miracle specifically for cats. Thanks for the tip, because I didn't know they made cat deterrents that could be used on furniture.

I don't think she was taken from her mother too early. She was 6 weeks old when we got her. I think she just got in the bad habit when she had a urinary tract infection.

If I can get her to stop, I'll buy a new couch. I just don't want to get a new one and have her ruin it right away. You know?

I've tried B'Have with Ripley when he was sharpening his claws on the corner of our new mattress years ago. It didn't really deter him much but when I applied Sticky Paws (double sided tape strips) that worked. Maybe B'Have will work better on urine problems, I'll be anxious to hear.

Anyway, one thing to try while you are waiting for your order to come is to put aluminum foil on your couch cushions. Most cats hate the sound when they step or jump on it so it may keep her from using the couch again. I guess it would take to many rolls to cover your bed, lol, but at least it might help save your couch from more damage.

From Decker with Love

Also, if the Nature's Miracle doesn't kill the smell, try Simple Solution. I've actually had much better luck with it than with the NM. Of course I have dogs, but I used it when I had a kitty too.

I've had a lot of luck with Micah using the Feliway spray and room defuser. Maybe that can help with Katie?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...