Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much languages you can speak?

Gosh what a lovely bunch of talented people you all are, I only speak English, know a little Maori, and try hard at the scottish Aberdonian dialect.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Originally posted by babolaypo65
    American Sign Language (fluently)

Spanish and French Sign Language (Enough to get by).

I've also studied a bit of Catalan Sign....

And I fully intend to be fluent at Spanish and French Sign Language soon.
    I'm jealous. I want to learn sign language SO bad. There is an ASL child in my tutor group, I feel so bad that I can't talk to her.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
    I'm jealous. I want to learn sign language SO bad. There is an ASL child in my tutor group, I feel so bad that I can't talk to her.
    You mean a deaf child?
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

In my mom's day care there was little boy in a wheel chair who was Deaf. So my mom made as all learn Sign Language It was fun and I continue to study it today.

I know Spanish and English.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I speak English and I speak some Spanish,but i am not fluent.I used to know some ASL,but i forgot a lot of what i knew.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

English & I could probably cuss you out in Spanish.
    I can also say basic everyday things like "how are you?"

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

What I love about languages is when you finally "have" to use them. I was in Spain this summer, and though it had been years, I was the only one who spoke Spanish. Now, granted, my Spanish is Mexican Spanish, but I did pretty well! I ordered food, taxis, EVEN was able to argue about the bill! I'm sure my verb tenses weren't the best but still.
    A couple of years ago I visited France and our "hosts" were Deaf French folks. They didn't know ASL, or English, so French Sign Language was the only thing we had in common. I did okay all things considered!

In my work every day I use American Sign Language, all day, everyday, but it STILL amazes me from time to time that I am fluent.

I LOVE LANGUAGES!
    Last edited by babolaypo65; 11-18-2003 at 08:28 PM.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Hebrew..."shalom" (hello).."shalom' (goodbye) "shalom" (peace)..hey it's easy! I speak American English (too fast), used to understand a little but not speak Polish (especially when it was something I wasn't suppose to know about ) and enough Spanish to get by (without trying to conjugate verbs! Hey it's been 35 yrs!).

I am SO impressed by you all! I think it's wonderful you speak so many languages!! When I was in school (eons ago) we were only "forced" to take another language for 2-3 years in high school!

Hey! I can't even keep my colors straight...not alone SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE!! yikes!

I've been Boooo'd!

I can latvian (my mother language), russian, english, german, spanish and icelandic

English, Urdu, Punjabi........................and a little bit of Arabic (not enough to say I know the language, but I can read/write it, and understand a considerable amount).

Wow, that's very impressive!

I speak English and French.... I know enough Spanish to get by.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    Wow, that's very impressive!

I guess I take it for granted then, because I don't find it impressive. I know this guy who knows 11 languages. Now THAT'S impressive!

English/Urdu/Punjabi..........I grew up with them.........have been hearing/speaking them since I learned to talk, so they all come naturally to me. I have a bit of an accent with Urdu and Punjabi...........well, my cousins say so. They say I sound like a confused American when I speak it (which I KNOW I do, because I keep adding an English word in every other sentence to make up for the word that flew out of my mind while I'm speaking). LOL! English is by far the language I'm best it, but that's obviously because its my first language, and the language I grew up with, both at home and in society. Urdu and Punjabi I got just from home, so its a bit messed up, accent-wise.

Arabic is the additional language that I've learned a bit. I learned to read it very young.............probably around 6-7 years old. I can't make out everything that I read though, but when we travel to the Middle East, I can read all the signs, and try to figure out what they mean. Its so funny how they write Burger King and McDonalds, etc. in Arabic. Makes me laugh...........cause they don't have all the *letters* we have in English, in Arabic, so the way they write *Burger King* in Arabic reads as *Burjer Kinj*. LOL

Originally posted by popcornbird

English/Urdu/Punjabi..........

What are those langauges- Urdu&Punjabi?

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Feeling a total thicko - I speak English and Rubbish!
    Oh yes and fluent Cat!
    I can order beer/wine/coffee in Spanish and French! (Only I get them mixed up and transpose - causes much amusement!)

I'm totally impressed with everyone - especially Esster who started the thread. Your grasp is amazing. - Urdu and Punjabi are Indian languages.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I speak Dutch, French, English, German and quite a few Dutch dialects.

Thanx Lynnestankard!

Ooh, itęs very intresting, to know indian languages

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Originally posted by lynnestankard
    Urdu and Punjabi are Indian languages.

Yep. Indian/Pakistani languages. Urdu is actually Pakistani........and in India, its Hindi, but I honestly think they're very close because I can understand everything any Indian says. And Punjabi.............both India and Pakistan have several provinces, and each province has its own language.........so for the area my parents were born in, that would be Punjabi. Its spoken in both India and Pakistan, in the province Punjab.