Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Can't Believe This! I Am So Excited!

Soooo if I told you that I know an arabian breeder giving (yes GIVING) away part of his herd, would that be incentive enough to get you and your mom down here? (I can see Shari giving me "the look" from here! lol)

I have a sales list from the breeder, they are giving away some of the older brood mares/geldings and selling others for cheap! I have my eye on a bay gelding a year off the track. He's a freebie.... blind in one eye but as long as you can work him from the left side, he's A-OK. (We also know the trainer for these horses, not a thing wrong with 'em unless otherwise stated. The breeders are just looking to reduce the herd!)

I'm so happy for you!! I wish I could get a horse. Good luck!!

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    Soooo if I told you that I know an arabian breeder giving (yes GIVING) away part of his herd, would that be incentive enough to get you and your mom down here? (I can see Shari giving me "the look" from here! lol)

I have a sales list from the breeder, they are giving away some of the older brood mares/geldings and selling others for cheap! I have my eye on a bay gelding a year off the track. He's a freebie.... blind in one eye but as long as you can work him from the left side, he's A-OK. (We also know the trainer for these horses, not a thing wrong with 'em unless otherwise stated. The breeders are just looking to reduce the herd!)
    We would go down there and take a look, but I don't have my job yet, mom says I have to have my job for over 6 months before I can consider purchasing anything (equipment wise).

Blind in one eye, makes them extra sweet, and forces you to give them extra love and kisses. Just like Spirit, he is blind in one eye, and is a big lump of sugar covered in kisses.

LOL, no she did not give "the look", but she did laugh when she read that.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Whew, I'm glad you have someone else to go with you. It really helps to have a second set of eyes, someone who isn't so emotionally involved in the choosing process. It is too easy to fall in love with a pretty horse, and miss signs of trouble or incompatability.

Buy used tack if you can, $400 won't buy much of a new saddle but it can buy a really nice, good brand, used one. Plus it will already be broken in. Cheap saddles are no good.

What I did when I was younger is worked part time at the barn - saved me money on lessons and board costs, plus I had a good reason to spend all day at the barn!

You sound like you are so ready to get a horse!
    The job sounds perfect for you too!
    I am so excited for you!
    I noticed your birthday is coming up soon, a horse would be a great present!
    Like Boscibo, I thought you might like to try a lease before owning a horse.
    I know a lot of summer camps lease their horses when camp isn't is session. Does your camp do that?
    I was wondering if you would be able to lease Jack or Spirit since you already know and love them.
    Those Arab photos you posted are gorgeous! The first one looks a bit pricey though. How much do you plan to spend?
    It would be great if you could board your horse at a nearby stable.
    If you are serious about using your horse as a therapy horse also you may want to go for an older, calmer horse that would be easy for beginners to handle too.
    Good luck with getting the job and getting your dream horse!
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    (I can see S giving me "the look" from here! lol)
    You mean this one?
    image deleted

It's too bad the timing isn't right on those free horses, because this is putting the horse before the job, and I insist that Laura be able to foot ALL the bills for this horse, without having to rely on me as a backup. To me this is on a par with having children, and you really have to be financially sound and ready to make the 30 year commitment. Personally I feel she should wait until she's employed full time and done with school, because if she's in school and working part time, there won't be any time to be with the horse! The only reason I'll agree to horse ownership is that it won't be living here with us, unlike the dog she's begged for all these years or the rats that are emptying my pocketbook .
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 10-22-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    You mean this one?
    That is the EXACT look I'm talking about!

Laura, two weeks ago I had myself talked out of the lil' bay arab. I can feel your excitement and it's giving me the horse bug baaadddd! lol

If I could have any *dream* come true.........it would be to have a horse of my own! Laura you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky! I want a horse I want a horse I want a horse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, our city doesn't allow pet horses though.......you have to live out in the country to have them. Even if they did allow them, its not like we would have any room to keep them in the city either! Those animals are HUGE!

I know if my brother knows about this, he'll be sooooooo jealous. He ADORES horses and wants to get one sometime in his life. Good luck on the horse quest! It would be so neat if you get one!

Originally posted by Vermontcat

I noticed your birthday is coming up soon, a horse would be a great present!
    Like Boscibo, I thought you might like to try a lease before owning a horse.
    I know a lot of summer camps lease their horses when camp isn't is session. Does your camp do that?
    I was wondering if you would be able to lease Jack or Spirit since you already know and love them.
    Yes, indeed, my birthday is coming up! My parents would never consider getting me a horse for my birthday, yeah right, I wish.

I am considering leasing, it is just that I feel so odd about the fact that the horse would have two owners, and I would have to "share" the horse with another person, and I can't do everything I want to do with the horse, because I have to ask the other owner for permission, yada yada yada.

I do not think that Camp Anokijig leases out the horses, I would die if I could lease Jack or Spirit. I would looooooooove to do that. During the winter months there, the horses just roam the 300+ acres of land like wild horses. I would love to take care of Jack or Spirit over the winter months. The only thing is is that they are 1 1/2 hours away from me, that is too far, and I don't think I would be able to bring them down home here.

Mom and I did some calculations on the calculator, and all I know is that it is going to take me a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time until I have enough money to get a horse. At least 5 years according to our calculations, but knowing my luck it is probably more like 15 years. Oh well, I'll just keep on day dreaming until then.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

YLL, even if it takes you five years, at least you are starting to plan for your dream now! What if you wait five years, then it would take you 10 ... and so on. Good luck
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by Miss Meow
    YLL, even if it takes you five years, at least you are starting to plan for your dream now! What if you wait five years, then it would take you 10 ... and so on. Good luck
    Very true.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!