Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New kittie!!!!! ( No, really )

New kittie!!!!! ( No, really )

Originally posted by Cataholic
    But, you know....I seem to see that you are posting lots of new threads.....that SEEM like new kitties are involved, but, we then get the rug pulled out from underneath. Are you SURE your subconscious isn't really telling us you NEED a new kitty? I just wonder.....

What's this I see? Is it a ginger bottom sticking out of a blanket in our carry case?

And is this a somewhat terrified kitty hiding under the base of the horrible pink thing in our spare room?

This would perhaps be this kitty, as pictured here at the rescue center.

Yay! We got a orangie

He's very upset at the moment, as you may be able to tell so he's having some quiet time to adjust.
    Last edited by PaysForIt; 11-15-2003 at 01:06 PM.
    Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.

Yes, it's time I updated my sig.

YEAHHH!!

Oh what a sweetie! I am SOOO jealous. Does he have a name yet? How old is he? What is he doing now? How wonderful!!

OHHHHHH! How Handsome he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats his name? This is so wonderful!!! What a beautiful kitty to be rescued! Hope the transition goes smooth and easy for both you and your new kitty!! Can't wait to hear more abut him and see more pics!! Poor little guy must be terrified right now but he just doesn't know what wonderful thing just happened to him!!
    Congratulations on your BEAUTIFUL new ORANGE baby!!

Re: YEAHHH!!

Originally posted by sirrahbed
    Oh what a sweetie! I am SOOO jealous. Does he have a name yet? How old is he? What is he doing now? How wonderful!!
    He is named Sandi (probually keep his name as we know it is his).

He is 6 years old and has spend the last year in a small shelter 50 miles away from us.

I found him months ago on the shelters website but we had no attention of adopting him.

He lived from being a kitten to being 5 years being a spoilt lapcat of an elderly lady. Sadly she died and because of some confusion with the family/neighbours, Sandi was left outside to fend for himself for three months. In this time he received a head injury and when the shelter picked him up, he was very scared & depressed.

The shelter managed to home him once in the last year but the stupid lady who adopted him, took him straight out of his carrycase and tried to cuddle this scared & depressed cat, who promptly bit & scratched her. So she returned him

He won't be an easy cat to deal with as he is very frightened & skittish. He will take some time to come around if ever. I have warned the shelter if he seriously attacks the kittens we can not keep him but they say he is fine with cats, it's humans he is scared off. That is fine I don't mind a few scratches.

Though when we met him and I moved too fast for him, he slapped me no claws and ran away, he is sweet and playful and I really hope he'll be happy here. Once he stops beng scared.

So he is hiding in the sofa bed in the spare room, thats fine we'll see him later or tomorrow. He just needs to feel secure and loved and we'll see what he is really like.

I just was so taken with him and not because he has the look of Caramel, there is just something about him I love.

I know that sounds crazy but I have a hunch that he is meant to be here.

He is TLC. The Last Cat (and he needs Tender Loving Care)
    Last edited by PayItForward; 11-15-2003 at 04:51 PM.

It's not crazy and I think we end up with our perfect matches!! He may take some time but from his sad story it certainly sounds like he is most derserving of a loving home. How horrible to be so loved then lose your precious person and then wind up alone and outside!!! Poor poor baby!!! When he is ready you give him tons of hugs, kisses, snuggles, and chin scratchies from me and my crew!!!! We are saying prayers that all goes well and easy for Sandy and your family.
    Good luck and Thank You for saving Sandy and giving him a good home!!

Re: Re: YEAHHH!!

I know that sounds crazy but I have a hunch that he is meant to be here.
    oh no, this does not sound crazy at all but the very best reason to have him!! I felt that way the moment I saw my kittens and I was looking for an older abandoned cat!!

Congrats on the new addition!! I'm sure he'll come around in no time and turn out to be the most lovable kitty ever!!!

Bless you for taking him in and working with him!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Shelter Lady...

I did ring up about Sandi maybe 2/3 months ago and I had a nice chat with one of the helpers about him.

She expressed shock that I lived in Sheffield and was interested in one of their cats. In England it is strange to travel 50 miles to see/adopt a cat. Well, No stranger than having 6 cats..opps 7 cats

But I explained that although I was interested , it was near nill that my partner would want yet another cat (OK I was wrong here)

Then just before we went on holiday Steve said we could go and look at Sandi, when we returned.

So this morning we just drove 53 miles into the country to find the set of 10 outside pens, where Sandi has been living for the past year.

When we drove up to the farm/cat shelter the shelter lady Sarah asked if she could help us.

When I said we were here looking for a cat, she explained they had rehomed a lot of cats recently and was there a particular cat we were interested in.

I said 'Sandi'
    She choked and squeeked 'Sandi, you are not from Sheffield.'
    'Yes' we confirmed.

I found her very honest in her introduction of Sandi. She also cared about him too. When he slapped me, she told him off, told him that behaviour was the reason he was still in the shelter and when he was being cute and playfull, she said remember he needs a lot of work. That he wouldn't be an easy cat to care for.

When we said we wanted him, they offered to waifer the adoption fees, as he is their longest stayer but we paid anyway, it is a charity after all.

When shelter lady picked him up to put him in the catcase, she held him for a minute and kissed the back of his head. She told him to behave and wished us all the luck.
    Last edited by PayItForward; 11-15-2003 at 04:53 PM.

What a sad but heartwarming story about your Sandi. If he knew love and was a lap cat before, I'm sure he will gradually be that way again.
    The other woman who adopted him first obviously has no knowledge of cats. Stupid move on her part for sure.

Just sit in the room, on the floor, humming quietly while reading a book and you'll be surprised of the outcome. I had to do this with a very scared stray, many years ago, and he gradually came around on the 4th day of doing this. Each day after that he became more and more secure in me and his surroundings.

Prayers on the way that everything will work out for you and for Sandi.
    He needs you as much as you need him.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

OH

MY

GOD

I am in total disbelief. But absolutely over-joyed.

Congrats on the new addition! Seven is a lucky number.
    Originally posted by rg_girlca
    Just sit in the room, on the floor, humming quietly while reading a book and you'll be surprised of the outcome. I had to do this with a very scared stray, many years ago, and he gradually came around on the 4th day of doing this. Each day after that he became more and more secure in me and his surroundings.
    This is pretty much what I did with Bob, who was a feral kitten. I left it entirely up to him to decide when he wanted to leave his room and join the rest of the family. It took a long time, but once he figured out that he was in a safe place he made great progress! Now he's still very timid around other people, but he's a big purring lovebug with me and a real sweetie with the other cats.

I'm guessing that it won't take too long before Sandi realizes that he can relax and be a lapcat again. You guys are the best!

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    OH

MY

GOD
    LOL and we worried about adopting Milly !!!

First, WA HOO!!! A new kitty, that it so cool, CATgratulations.

I am sure that he will be fine and you have the experience to help him. It sounds lke the shelter is good and let that previous lady know what the situation was, like they did with you. She just didn't know how to deal with a special kitty. I am sure it will be fine.
    Originally posted by rg_girlca
    That is what we did with Joey. we would sit in her room for hours and just hang out. I would read, take naps, talk quietly, anything that did not threaten her.

Also, I believe that your chances are improved because it sounds like he did not start out a feral. Don't get me wrong it still won't be easy, but you knwo that he had been a good kitty before.

Good luck, and when he is ok with the camera we need more pictures.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Thanks for all the advice.

Me & Steve are going to take turns sleeping in the spare room for the next few days.

I hope he'll learn not to fear us, then we are asleep not moving etc.

I will try reading aloud to him, sitting on the floor when he is less scared. It is an excellent way of getting him used to our voices.

Catdad.. I really hope you are right, if he once was a happy kitty, he has a chance of becoming so again.

Congratulations on your new member of the family. How sad for Sandi to go from being a beloved lapcat to homeless wanderer. The shelter was good to let you know there will be some difficulty at first. But I know that with your care he will know that he is safe and will be a happy loving cat again. He is a handsome boy, and I'm looking forward to more pictures.
    Steffi and Lovable