Thread: How long is a kitten a kitten?

How long is a kitten a kitten?

I mean, what exactly is the definition of "kitten"? Is it three months, 6 months or a year?

The cat food producers recommend to feed kitten food for 12 months, so I assume this is how long you can call a young cat a kitten?

Kirsten

Our vet says one year but I know some breeds (like Ragdolls) keep growing for up to two or more years. I am sure no expert though!!

Two years!?! Well, I think Luna was still growing when she was more than a year old.

Kirsten

Most cats stop growing between 1 year and 1,5 years. Tigris has about the same weight he had at one year (am glad he didn't put up more ), Filou did not grow anymore after he was 1,5 years old. I would be careful with the kitten food.
    As far as I know it is fatter than the normal cat food and most of our rotten spoiled Pet Talk kitties have rather a weight problem than the problem of starving whatever they tell you when you come home

My vets always use the one year mark , as at that age they are sexually mature. But the threads are right , and Ragdolls and Scottish fold mature later.Scrappy matured early , and tied to mount Pouncer , and then I had to have him neuterd, Before Pouncer did it for me!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Speaking of being sexually mature, there are cats being pregnant at the age of 6 or seven months, and Luna has been spayed at the age of 5 months and was already close to ovolation.

BTW, I don't feed much kitten food anymore, I'm not sure if this is good or not. But I can't completely avoid that Luna is also eating from Lily's bowl, and since Luna has weight problems, there's no way I can allow her to eat kitten food.

Kirsten

How long is a kitten a kitten you ask?

Well, if they are anything like my Benjamin Eddy aka the Little Shitsky, then it would be forever, or, er, so far a year and a half. But I got my suspicions it will be longer, LOL!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    We think Mishi is a little over 2 years old, but he's still very kitten-like; albeit a HUGE 16 lb. "kitten" He has grown since I got him so I suspect he was probably younger than they thought. I think (hope?) he's done growing - my apartment is not that big, although I love having the huge dude cavorting around - it keeps me entertained!

Enjoy their kitten-ness while it lasts. My Goldie was very kitten-like until she hit somewhere around 10-12 years old.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10