Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Dexter

Hey, folks - just an FYI. Dexter's story isn't "gone" and meither are any other older stories. The default setting when you click on "Dog Rescue" or and other section is to "Show topics from last 30 days" which is simply to keep the size of the list you see managable. But you can change that. Look up near the top right of the page, underneath the "new Topic" button and the line that says profile | register | preferences | faq | search. to the bar that says "Show topics from last 30 days" and you can scroll down and change it to "Show topics from last 100 days" and there is "Unexpected Surprise (Dexter's Story) in the list! You can even chose "Show topics from last year" if, for example, you are new here and want to know everything!

Originally posted by Karen:
    You can even chose "Show topics from last year" if, for example, you are new here and want to know everything!
    Oh no, Karen, why did you tell me that! Now that I know I can go way back as well, I will never get anything else done.

Hi everyone. I heard from Dexter's dad this morning. He said that all the way to Virginia, Dexter sat in the seat of the car, "backwards" and never relaxed. Glad to report that on the way home, Dexter decided it was ok to lie down and relax a little. When he wasn't doing that, he leaned on his "dad" and looked out the window. Dexter's dad lost his own father on Thanksgiving Day and he said he was so glad to have Dexter with him to hug. It was a sad Thanksgiving for him. I know how comforting my pets are for me in times of sorrow. They just let you love all over them, don't they?

I'm sorry to hear about Dexter's dad's dad
    (if that makes any sence) but I'm glad to hear Dexter is doing well

It makes perfect sense! I guess in reality, it was Dexter's "granddad" who died, although he never had the opportunity to meet Dexter. I know he would have loved him.

Hi Logan..you know me, I believe in things happen for a reason and little omens etc..Isn't it great that Dexter and his dad bonded so easily, that Dexter fit right in? I'm glad Dexter's around to ease some pain. Give your friend (I forgot his name, sorry) my best...K

Logan, what a great story about Dexter and his new dad, but sad about Grandpa. I have often seen "rescued" dogs (even from shelters) bond very closely with their new families. Almost as though they KNOW that they've been saved and are very, very grateful. Do you suppose I am anthropomorphizing too much?

No, Ktreva, absolutely not! In fact, my thought on Dexter is exactly the same! Mike loves him with a passion. I sent my mom a picture in the mail this week of her "adopted grandson" and she fell in love too! Dexter is a perfect gentleman and is one lucky dog. I would have NEVER let him go to the pound and am so lucky that I had a friend who wanted him. Dexter is certainly lucky too.

I personally think that dogs understand better than humans. We have 2 dogs from the local shelter and they are both so loving. They love life. Shawna, the Aussie, was full grown when we got her and would roll on her back if anyone raised their voice for anything, but now she takes on all the dogs and is the mother of the pack. Jazzy, the Dane, was only 3 months old when we got her, but you could tell she knew she had been abandoned and then saved, now she thinks she is our 120 pound lap dog. George, the hound mix, still thanks us, we got him because someone dumped him in our neighbors' back yard and they couldn't take him, so we did, and we couldn't be happier. Even Tigger, who my husband brought home because someone brought Tig to where my husband worked and told my husband that if someone didn't take this pup that they were going to take it home and shoot him. Tigger is totally attached even today, 2 years later. Sox is the only one from a litter, but 4 of the 6 pups died from worms because the people are irresponsible morons and even she seems to realize how lucky she is.
    Enough blithering, my only point is that dogs know when they have been saved and are far more appreciative than any human could hope to be.

Hear, hear, Kendall. There are a lot of people that think I'm nutty and a buttload of "experts" that are sure dogs do not have emotions. (Rude snort here -- is there a smilie for that?). Guess this goes along with the "Do Dogs Dream?" thing. Anyway, I am anxiously awaiting an opportunity to see a picture of Dexter (with Dad?) and am really enjoying the updates. It's one of those things that is so neat it chokes you up.

I am finally going to have some great pictures of Dexter, Honey, Lilly and Mimi put on disk and get them submitted for Dog of the Day, of course Mimi will be there for Cat of the Day. Hopefully, I can arrange that tomorrow and if you want me to e-mail them to you, just send me a note to either of these e-mail addresses: [email protected] or
    [email protected].

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 03, 2000).]

Originally posted by Sudilar:
    Great news. Dexter is such a lucky dog!

Our buddy, Dexter, has decided that he likes to chew on the carpet in front of his new owner's back door! Thank goodness, my friend is well connected and can eventually just replace that portion of the carpet with tile. That's how I met him. His company renovated my bathroom and did a wonderful job.
    My friend says that he can not fuss at Dexter very much as he is a special dog and he continues to be glad that he took him in! ME TOO!

Well, none of us would know how to cope with a "perfect" dog, so it's interesting Dexter has developed a "quirk". Wonder what he's interested in on that carpet? Does his daddy go out that door when he leaves? Maybe he's just wanting to go with???? It sounds to me like Dexter is a very lucky dog and his daddy is just as lucky. What a match made in Heaven! (Sigh) I love happy stories.

I bought Dexter a wonderful candy cane for his Christmas present. It's one of those wonderful, wooly chewables. He has enjoyed his Halloween ghost so much (still is). Honey and Lilly have destoyed their "Christmas trees" that we bought them.
    PS I'm giving Dexter's dad a framed 5x7 photo of his lovely boy!

I took Dexter his Christmas present tonight and his dad had just brought him a thousand new toys to play with (could that be because he was chewing on everything in the room, including the stereo speakers?). He didn't know which toy to pick up first! Dexter has grown so much and he and his dad are definitely bonded! That's enough Christmas present for me. A successful rescue!!!

[This message has been edited by lhg0962 (edited December 23, 2000).]