Thread: Need help and/or suggestions!

Need help and/or suggestions!

We brought Kirby (year old bichon) home in August. He was an only dog in the house he came from whereas in our house he's one of five. We're still working on his behavior towards Molly and Muffin (tries to dominate them) every day and seem to be making progress.

The problem is he's still pooping in the house. He's kenneled during the day. He never messes in his kennel. We let him out frequently during the evening, in the night and again in the morning; but he is still pooping in the house. It has us so frustrated! None of the other dogs do that - just him. Even Muffin the 8 month old dachshund has learned to go outside.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I would suggest keeping him kenneled every second that he's not in your direct line of vision. That way you'll be more likely to catch him in the act and you'll be able to redirect him. Watch for him to act like he's getting ready to go, then run him outside really quick and, of course, praise him when he does the right thing. I wouldn't let him out of your sight for even a moment until he's caught on. It seems that the more times they go inside the house, the harder they are to train later.

I have heard that Bichons are notoriously hard to housebreak. Just be patient and persistent - and ruthless!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I hesitate to keep him in the kennel all the time when I'm home. Don't want the kennel to be punishment. And I don't spend a lot of time in the living room in the evening.

What do you think about putting him on a leash and attaching it to my waist? That way he'd be nearby all the time.

Hi! I assume that being a dog person you probably already use "outside" / inside language, i.e., making the statement, "we are going outside." And, if you catch him going INSIDE the house, just to talk with him, not angrily, but emphatically, and reminding him, "We go potty OUTSIDE."

I can sympathize...I don't think I'd want to keep him crated all of the time either. But, I would keep him "leashed" to me....literally, hook his leash to your belt or wrist, all of the time (it's kind of like when the kids were toddlers...you just never let them out of your sight). He cannot "get away," because he's where ever you are (or anyone else in the house). Also, find a reward that he really likes--my guys like cheese, and also some dried salmon treats made by Nor Pac. Give him one of these whenever he does potty outside.

Both of my dogs are rescue dogs. One is a chihuahua, and the other a Jack Russell mix (Jupiter). Jupiter was more than a year old when we got him. It took at least 3 months for him to learn the boundaries. He does not like to go out in the rain, and I put down a puppy pad for him if it is raining, and I'm going out, but not crating him, because I know his aversion to rain.

Good luck!

Originally posted by robinh
    What do you think about putting him on a leash and attaching it to my waist? That way he'd be nearby all the time.
    That's what I was about to suggest. It shouldn't take too long for him to get the idea.

Keeping him attatched to you is a great idea! Everyone has great suggestions, another to add is to give him a potty command when you are outside. I just use "go potty" and always reward him when he goes outside!

Another thing that should really really be done is to clean your carpets very very well w/ a product designed just for that purpose. If he catches his scent on the carpet he may think that because he smells it there than it is ok to continue to use that as a potty.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

This little guy has an awful lot of issues to deal with right now and i have a few questions, if you don't mind?
    When he is kenelled is he with the other dogs or on his own?
    Are the other dogs in the house together with him at any time while you are not in the same room as the dogs?
    Are the other dogs together all the time?
    Do you know if he was a house dog or used to kennels?
    Is your kennel an outside kennel or is it a crate in the house?