Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Tortitude"

Our tortie, Gabby, is one of our most affectionate cats. As a matter of fact, she's the one everyone wants to take home with them. She's wonderful!! She had a problem adjusting to the other cats, but once she did, we've had no problems with her.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

One the plus side - ours is highly intelligent. They do mellow over the years, our 14 yr old is mostly fine.

New to the board, hello everyone!

I have two tortie sisters at home, both four years old. They are both terribly sweet kitties.

Eddie (who's a girl with a boy's name, but if you knew her you'd see that it fits somehow!) is the sweetest thing ever, she's very vocal and meows all of the time, and makes these weird purry noises just for the fun of it, like when she's running around or when she watching birdies or when she's watching me do something she's curious about. She's incredibly playful, even at her age, and will play hide and seek until you get bored. Sometimes she'll chase me around for the fun of it. She loves to be pet, even though she's not very snuggly. For some reason neither of my cats like to held, and Ed won't even crawl into my lap, though she will lay next to me on the couch and in bed.

Azriel does have a bit of a princess-ish attitude, but she's also very sweet, loves to be pet and sit in your lap. She's also playful, but not as much as Ed, but she's VERY curious. She has to know what everything is and more importantly if it's edible!

Niether kitty has a mean bone in their body. Their mother was a tortie, who was also terribly sweet, and my mom has two playful and loving torties at home, one of which is a beautiful long-haired tortie.

Torties aren't all mean! Don't believe the hype!

adamjai,
    Welcome to Pet Talk! You have a female with a boys name, well so do I, Grover is a girl. There were some reasons for her being named Grover, one is I didn't know if she was a boy or a girl when she came into my life, and the other is the grandkids insisted she be named Grover after the character from sesame (sp?) street, because she was found in a trashcan, when she was about two weeks old.

I didn't realize that torties and calicos were most always female, I had owned several calicos when I was growing up, they were always female, just never entered my mind about the explanation for it.

Grover is a pretty good girl, she is still very young, I am glad to hear that all torties are not all mean, I breathe a sigh of relief on that. I wish you had pictures of your torties to show, we love pictures here, love showing off our pets.

Sounds like your torties are very sweet, so please post pictures if at all possible. So one of yours has long hair? I bet she is beautiful.

I will be watching for some pics, and again Welcome to Pet Talk!

Tray

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I have SO many pictures of my kitties, but unfortunately don't have a scanner yet, but when I get one you can bet you'll see my kitties!

Ed has the same sort of coloring as Grover, with the more pronounced orange areas, but she is a BIG kitty. Not fat, just tall. When she streches up to me, her forepaws hit my waist. She can put her paws on the bottom cabinets in the kitchen and stretch her neck enough to see what's on the counter (if it's close to the edge). Azriel is much slimmer, she's an average size kitty with a more pointy face. Her coloring is much more muted. Ed has black with orange, and two opposite orange feet and some other brighter orange areas, while Azriel is completely muted all throughout, and is black with a very light orange, almost beige color.

My mom has a tortie that looks almost identical to Grover. Same build and coloring. And my mom is the one who has the long-haired tortie, and she is a doll! I wanted that little one for months, but we didn't want to bring home just one kitty, since we knew our older ones wouldn't like her very much and we didn't want her to be lonely.

My mom has had a ton of girl kitties with boys names and vice versa. A boy named Emily, a girl named Joe, another girl named Stanley...it's hard to tell when they're little. Funny thing is, once you get used to it, it doesn't sound weird anymore. When people hear Ed's a girl and they look at me funny, I wonder what they're looking at me like that for!

My mom has had a ton of girl kitties with boys names and vice versa. A boy named Emily, a girl named Joe, another girl named Stanley...it's hard to tell when they're little. Funny thing is, once you get used to it, it doesn't sound weird anymore. When people hear Ed's a girl and they look at me funny, I wonder what they're looking at me like that for!
    I think that is alright, it is so funny talking about cats with names that belong to the opposite gender, and well I can't say much, my mother named me Willie, and I am female, So I feel right at home with all these odd named kitties, LOL.

Grover is about 9 months old, I really don't think she is going to get to be a big cat, I guess it could of been the start she had in life, and it stunted her growth, well anyway to me she seems smaller than she should be. Did you get a look at Grovers tail? It is so funny looking, but I really love it no matter how funny looking it is.

Take a look at this picture of her, she had been sitting on top of my deck, which has kind of a bookshelf on it and she was on that part of it, watching and watching for something, a mouse I guess, anyway, she suddenly jumped up and was clinging to the side of the wall, she did not get anything that night, but the next night she jumped really quick, and came down with a baby mouse in her mouth. Her first official catch. Anyway here is a picture of her hanging on the side of the wall:

I will be glad to see some pictures of your cats, I really love to look at the torties out there. So I will be watching for them.

My name is Willie, and I am really happy you joined Pet Talk. Welcome, welcome, welcome!!

Willie Sue

What a cute picture! Eddie has been known to climb walls, but she does a little more damage then it looks like Grover would do! Claws in drywall...our brand new house has some big claw marks about five or six feet up from Eddie's climbing. You can tell they're spoiled--if a kid were to mess up the walls, there'd be yelling, when Eddie does it, it's funny. Go figure!

Yeah, come to think of it, I would probably be yelling at my grandkids to come down, off the wall myself. Instead I seen Grover hanging up there and she gave everybody a laugh even my husband who hates cates, had to laugh about that.

She did do one thing good, she caught the mouse that I had been hearing chewing in the ceiling. Yeah!

Tray