Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At the shelter...

Thanx everyone.

tatsxxx11: at the humane society where i work we only put dogs to sleep that are either in pain or are really old dogs and have been there for a long time (i asked). thats another really sad thing about it, more people want younger dogs, and they don't care about the elderly

Its a very hard job to have because of some of the abuse cases. There were two small white dogs there, im not sure what breed they were, that were rescued from a puppy mill and you should of seen them, they were a complete wreck. they were scared of things like brushes, toys, and leashes. they got adopted a while ago

Oh, and my dad might let me adopt Buddy(the tri beagle)!!! when i went to see him today he was still really upset. I hope my dad lets me.

All of you, the Shelter Workers, Logan the Transporter are so brave and strong doing a job most of us could not do. I can only speak for myself but I could not go to a shelter and see those poor animals not knowing if they will be there the next time you visit, thinking of what happened to them, wondering if they may have got a home or not. It takes a strong person mentally to be able to cope with this, that's why I cannot look at the pictures of those abused, starving and maimed. I don't have that strength in me, and I applaud and appreciate all of you who are strong enough to do this work. The best I can do is give money or sign a petition or send a letter, you all truly are my Heros and we all thank you.
    Jackie

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

Horse, I hope your dad lets you have the beagle too. We have one and we love him. One of my kids in class calls him "One eyed Jack" because we had to have one of his eyes removed because the guy who had him before kept him outside and didn't pay attention to him, except to hunt and Billy (then Debo)got something in his eye and it exploded his lens and caused cataracts and glaucoma and it was causing him pain. You won't regret it, they are wonderful little things...little dog with big dog attitude.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Leslie, I cannot believe they donate some of their animals to science. Regardless of if they have been there a long time or not, that is completely disgusting.

I feel so fortunate to live near such a wonderful shelter after hearing how many live in places that don't have no-kill shelters.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Hello, sorry...I don't normally post on the "dog boards" much since I don't have a dog yet, but I just had to say that I admire all of you guys. Anyone involved in the welfare of animals...in whatever way serves them best be it volunteering in shelters, giving time, money, toys, food...etc, or transportation...it all makes a difference! I was curious too, how those of you that have to deal with the unpleasant aspects (putting animals down) handle. I've volunteered in a no-kill cat rescue, and it's been great. I've volunteered in a wildlife rehabilitation center and it's been great too. They have had to put animals down at the wildlife center due to extreeme cases of illness or injury...but not when I've actually been there...so I was a little removed from that aspect. They did show me the freezer where they kept the bodies though! This is to ensure that they are 'disposed' of properly. I think once a week or month (can't remember), someone comes and collects all the deceased.
    I've also volunteered at a wolf education and research park in Indiana during my college years...and that was the best!!! But, the whole reason for my rambling (sorry about this!!!), is here in California in the techie field things are not doing so well. I've gotten a 40% paycut and more work, so I have been on the lookout on an off for quite some time for a new job...just in case. I've always wanted to work with animals, and I have this "pull" telling me that it's what I am meant to do. Hard to explain. Anyway, I was on the city of Sunnyvale, CA's website and there was an opening for an animal control officer! I applied. I tell you what, I read and re-read the description and requirements and all of that. There is a plethora of tests and interviews that I will have to go through if I even get chosen for the first round. I probably won't qualify, but hey...I figured it wouldn't hurt to put my application in! Along with the application was a questionaire with 3 questions I had to answer...and one was "how would you handle the more 'unpleasant' tasks of animal control'. It really got me to thinking. It's hard, but overall I think it would be a good position, because for every one that we would probably have to put down, there would be another we are saving. Has anyone worked in animal control?? Any advice on that subject??

wolflady, did you go to Purdue? I know there is a wolf refuge in that area. I would love to go, wolves are so majestic. I have wolf stuff as well as loon stuff and dog stuff and eagle stuff all over our house. As far as animal control, I could never do it. I would be a mental mess. So I can't answer to that. I always volunteer at our local no-kill SPCA. In fact my husband is starting tonight to redesign their website. I always go and work with the dogs or help in the giftshop.

Karen (Wolflady)......I am sorry about the job situation and that you would even have to think about finding partime or fulltime work, but WOW !!! What a perfect animal control officer you would make.....and if only we could have thousands of people like you in that position across the country, things would get better. Hurrah for you for even trying.....I'm not sure I could have the strength...Bless you for even considering it. What a blessing you would be to those poor, scared animals.

Logan

Mugsy, yeah! I went to Purdue! I was on the 5 year plan...LOL LOL...I didn't really know what I wanted to do when I started college. I really wanted to go into Biology...but they required me to take engineering math LOL LOL So, I was disappointed that I couldn't go into that. It's wierd...math has always been a weak point for me, and the sciences...biology etc have always been my strong point. Go figure... Anyhow, I started out in Business Mgmt in the school of Krannert, but didn't really feel it was for me, so my Junior year I switched into Computer technology. Too bad I didn't know about the animal science major! Oh well...I passed my time in the marching band, varsity, and collegiate bands too, and of course...yup! I worked at Wolf Park there in Battleground, IN. Have you been there? It's great! Every friday night is howl night at 7:30 (or at least it was when I was there) and saturdays at 1pm they do a wolf/bison demonstration. I loved it there! I got to know all the wolves and staff. It was great! Did you go (or are you going) to Purdue?? I have some good friends that live in Ft. Wayne that I try to visit at least once a year (now that I'm here in CA).

Logan, thanks for the words of encouragement. I got a call from the HR department yesterday asking for 4 references...so they can process my application! Gulp! We'll see what happens! I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted on this issue..especially if I'm called in for all those tests...yikes!!!

No wolflady, unfortunately I haven't visited, but would love to. If I do go it would have to be a one day thing since we have 11 dogs and I wouldn't want to leave them overnight. Let me know when you are coming to Fort Wayne and maybe we could meet. I went to IPFW and for 4 years majored in Geology, and like you the math did me in..they required a year of Calculus and I couldn't handle that...in fact the class I hated even more was Physics...OH MY GOD do I suck at Physics...ask my dad and my husband, they can tell you stories that will have you rolling on the floor. I switched to Education ( Oh I was on the SEVEN year plan!) and in December 1988 I started substituting here in Fort Wayne and finally in November 1995 I got a contract at Shawnee Middle School. Are you working with computers now? My husband is a computer tech and he just got downsized so is out looking for a job. Actually it sounds like you're kind of in the same boat. Good luck with your job search and interviews.

Wolflady, I just want to wish you good luck, I agree with Logan we need more people like you in Animal Control who really do care about the animals and not that it's just a job.
    Jackie