Thread: Need herbal advice

Need herbal advice

Hi guys. I'm trying to help a coworker who's adopted a new doggie. The doggie apparently has an anxiety disorder which causes her to be extremly distructive when left alone and impossible to crate. She's trying to avoid prescription drugs and would like to to try an herbal remedy.
    Can someone look here and let me know if you've any advice or experience.
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=173

I know PTers have used Bach Flower Remedies. I don't have any direct experience though. If you do a search for "Rescue Remedy" then you will find lots of posts regarding the use of this stress reliever.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

rescue remedy

my female rottie has some stress/anxiety issues and we have tried every herbal/homeopathic remedy we can find. we didn't really see a behavior change with the rescue remedy. every dog is different tho so what works for us may not work for your friend's dog. i would encourage your friend to explore several herbal options -- be sure to give each ample time to work. here are some of the ones we have tried . . . .

rescue remedy - drops administered in water or on tongue

dap (dog appeasing pheromone) - like a glade plug in with a pheromone that mommy dogs give off (naturally calming)

comfort calm - tablets

mellow dog - treats

kava bones - treats

homeopet anxiety remedy - drops

those are just a few. the dap seemed to help and the homeopet anxiety drops also seem to help my dog. the trick with most of the treats/drops is that you have to administer them an hour or so before the stessing event. the dap is a continuous release. you can find any of these on the internet. i would suggest you do your own research on these remedies -- just so you know how they work -- some anxiety remedies out there are nothing more than sedatives. hard to re-shape behavior if your dog is too tired to concentrate. be sure to keep us posted -- hey you may find one that works better for us

Penny Lane has major anxiety problems. She will go absolutely ballistic if she is confined to a crate or a room and can't see either myself or Leo. Baby gates work fine as see can tell there are other people or Leo in the house.

I tried the DAP (Pheromones) and saw absolutely no difference in her anxiety level at all. My understanding is that it only works on dogs that were raised with their mothers and does not really work on dogs that were either hand raised or taken from their mothers at too early of an age.

I used rescue remedy at first as well as the DAP but never saw much of a difference from that either. I would put it in her water every time I filled it.

I now have Penny Lane on Prozac - and that has made a major difference. I understand your friends reluctance to use drugs, but the Prozac does not make her zoomy or sleepy at all - it just kind of takes the edge off her anxiety.

What is the anxiety disorder and who diagnosed it?