Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rescue for a rescue

A rescue for a rescue

On May 1, my husband and son were to burn down an abandoned house as a training session for the volunteer fire department they serve in our community. Inside the house was a 14 pound, 12 week old puppy. He had been dumped. This poor pup was covered with ticks, had worms, undernourished, and lethargic. The firefighters and police officers at the scene cleaned him up, fed him some donuts, and brought him to our house. I got him some kibbles and water, and a dry bed. The vet said he was part black lab, collie, and german shepard. Today, he is 5 months old and 40 pounds, He is a healthy and happy puppy. Three weeks ago, he had his first training session in SEARCH AND RESCUE. My son named him Backdraft and he continues to do well in his search and rescue training. It takes about 2 years to train a dog for search and rescue. This 4th of July, Backdraft was included in a group photo of our Volunteer Fire and Rescue Team. This little rescued pup will someday rescue others.

------------------
    DeAnna

[This message has been edited by DeAnna (edited July 06, 2000).]

I think what you did to help the pup was great! If only we could have more people like you. Do you have any ideas how people can become involved in permanent rescue? Good luck with your pup's training!!!!!

Buginatub, thank-you for your reply. I think rescue should begin before it is necessary. People should be educated on preventing all of these unwanted litters of animals. Backdraft would have died if not found, and I don't think people realize that when they dump an animal, they are not always found by caring people. I worry about the people that dumped him and the other litters of puppies they will have and dump. Volunteer at your local rescue center, they will surely have lots of information about animal rescues. We have a no kill animal shelter where no animal is put down. Maybe you have one close to you. Thanks again, DeAnna

I applaude you for rescuing Backdraft. He sounds like one very loved and taken care of pup. My husband and I rescued a 3 month old Great Dane and a 2-4 year old Aussie from our local shelter in November, just to think that they may have been put down just makes me depressed because they are awesome dogs. Our other 2 are rescues too, so I guess rescue is now in our blood. Good luck with Backdraft and keep us up to date. You will be rewarded many times over for your good deed...I know that my husband and I are rewarded everyday!

Way to go BackDraft!!!
    My husband and I ran S&R and most of our dawgies were Bloodhounds a few were mixes and they worked out just as well too They seemed to know they needed to work just as hard too.

We lived on a farm of 10 wooded acres and seemed to be a local dumping point for all kinds of animals. We took them all in and our firhours/ambulance squads and my in-laws at the hospital never knew what I'd be asking to give to a happy home! Everyone got a good home and I couldn't put a soul down.

To people like you I stand and APPLAUDE you!!!! *CHEERS ALL AROUND* Give BackDraft a box of cookies from my Kritters and a good scratch behind the ear

Kaleigh-Gray & The Spoiled Kritters

------------------
    Please Help Me To Be Half The Human My Kritters Think I Am!

Duplicate post -- I washed my fingers and I can't do a thing with them!

Kathy

[This message has been edited by Abby's Mom (edited July 07, 2000).]

DeAnna, what a wonderful story. On behalf of dog-lovers everywhere, thank you for your kind and loving heart. Oh how I long for the day when the rescue centers can go out of business! Until then, God bless you all!

Kathy

Thank-you all for such wonderful replies. It is so nice to know there are such caring people out there. Every time I think about how many terrific little friends will be put down today because of human carelessness, I fight the tears. I pray that someday we will not need animal rescues and that ALL pets will be born to love. DeAnna

Hats off to you DeAnna for all your kindness. I sometimes wish I had more room so I could just go clean out the rescue center and take care of all those poor creatures that are so mistreated by others. My "puppy" KNOWS he's spoiled!! He even takes his toys outside to show them off to the neighbor dogs. Give Backdraft a big hug and an extra "cookie" from Czer and me.

Deanna,

Any new updates on Backdraft? You have my curiousity piqued now...I need updates!!!
    I really do admire you for what you did.

Backdraft update: Our little rescued "rescue trainee" is doing great. He will be 6 months old on August 1st and losing teeth like crazy. His stuffed puppy is looking like it was in a war zone from all the blood he has left on it from his teething. Backdraft is practicing his human find in the field near our house. I hold him while my husband hides in the brush. When I let go I give Backdraft the command "Find him Backdraft", and he is off. He is still using his memory to look in the places he remembers finding his daddy but when he isn't there, he has to use his nose to smell him out. He is doing very well at it. Although, he will only last a few exercises and then he wants to do something else (short attention span). Now we are trying to teach him to bark when he finds his lost human. Let me know if any one has any good ideas for teaching him to bark on command. He is also working on the obstacle course, which is the playground. Backdraft will go up the climber, across the swinging bridge, through the tunnel and down the slide. He is a whopping 50 pounds of pure puppy love. That you all for your caring support. Backdraft sends a good hand licking.

------------------
    DeAnna

If only this world had more people like us animal lovers.... My husband and I also rescued a puppy that was dumped off in the middle of the street. We were driving down the road and saw him sitting on the side, jsut waiting for someone to give him a ride home, so we did. He is a boxer-great dane mix. He is absolutly beautiful. He is brown with black streaks. He will be 2 on December 1st. He was only two weeks old when we found him, and in poor condition. He is now a happy go lucky pup that never leaves him mommy's side. He goes every where with my husband and I. Even during the day when we are at work he stays at a doggie sitters that is at our apartment complex. You did a wonderful thing, and God will bless you in many ways for the awesome deed that you did. Good Luck Backdraft.
    Taffanie Varner

Originally posted by varnerjt:
    If only this world had more people like us animal lovers.... My husband and I also rescued a puppy that was dumped off in the middle of the street. We were driving down the road and saw him sitting on the side, just waiting for someone to give him a ride home, so we did. He is a boxer-great dane mix. He is absolutely beautiful. He is brown with black streaks. He will be 2 on December 1st. He was only two weeks old when we found him, and in poor condition. He is now a happy go lucky pup that never leaves him mommy's side. He goes every where with my husband and I. Even during the day when we are at work he stays at a doggie sitters that is at our apartment complex. You did a wonderful thing, and God will bless you in many ways for the awesome deed that you did. Good Luck Backdraft.
    Taffanie Varner
    Thank you Taffanie for your story. What a lucky pup you have there. I was so happy to hear about a good outcome for an abandoned puppy. I wish all pups (kittens,etc.) were as lucky. I feel so sad to think about the furry little fluff balls that were born with out a chance to make a difference is someone's life. All the wonderful little animals that are dumped, distroyed, or mistreated when they could have made such happiness in the lives of some two legged friends. How can someone not want a friend that will love you even when you holler at them for drinking out of the toilet. How can someone not want a friend that will be happy to see you come home. They always greet you with such love. I can't say that about some people. They love you no matter what. Even when you drag them out in the rain to go potty and they hate getting wet. They still forgive you. How can people throw away such friends? Thank-you for being such a caring person. Give your little rescue a tummy rub from me. By the way, God did bless us, with Backdraft!

------------------
    DeAnna

Hi Deanna! Sorry I'm late in responding to your story (work interveres with my playtime)but ditto, ditto, ditto what everyone said. There aren't enought adjectives to express my feelings or to decribe what a wonderful

sorry.got distracted and hit the enter key)Anyway as I was saying there are not enough words to describe what warm, wonderful compasionate people you and your husband are. it's a priviledge just to have emailed you. There's a special place in heaven for you both I'm sure...Karen