Thread: Nail clipping

Nail clipping

Hello all, this is my first time to these boards and I could really use some advice on kitty nail trimming.
    First let me tell you a bit about my precious Boo Boo (hey she picked the name not me!) I adopted her from a foster shelter almost 3 yrs ago. She is a black domestic shorthaired kitty with too much personality for her own good..hehe Her little pink card read affectionate and quiet..well she's affectionate alright but quiet? I DON'T THINK SO! but nonetheless she is my heart and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She was in this foster home for a year with oh about 49 other cats, she is a loner and doesn't play well with other cats. (just ask the cats that show up outside the window or my sliding glass door...after going through the first week of her hiding under the bed and not eatting or being very social she has come a long way. She is truely my shadow and I hate to do anything that upsets her..which brings me to the nail trimming question..
    First question is, is it really a have to do? I went out and bought clippers just like the ones the vet uses but Boo is not much into myself or anyone touching her paws..even when she is sleeping.
    I use to take her to the vet office and have then trim it for 8 dollars every 3-4 months when the vet office was just 2 blocks away, she was so willing to give up her paws there only because she knew the faster she got it over with the faster she could get home. My only problem with taking her to the vet office now is they moved the office and now its a longer ride. Boo Boo does not do car rides well...about a minute after being in the car she begins this lovely pannting thing like a dog that is tired even with the A/C on her and everything and if she does that when the vet office is just 2 blocks away I'd hate to see the mess she'll be in after a 25 minute ride to where its located now. Now I realize that part of this is she's scared but it breaks my heart to see her so terrifed. I really think that she believes that I'm taking her to a new home or something because of her past history with the carrier and all. I leave the carrier out and she has no problem getting in it and sleeping in it from time to time so long as the little door stays OPEN, and I don't close my bedroom door.
    So any advice on how I can get my little Boo to trust me enough to clip her nails at home? she's an indoor cat with no desire to play outside which is good cause I live on a busy street. So any help you guys could give me would be greatly appriciated...Thanks soooo much!
    Boo

It is some times hard for them to learn to like having their nails done, but it is necessary. If a nail left unclipped for too long curves under (as they naturally do) it can grow back into the foot pad. VERY BAD !!! I have seen it (as a pet groomer)

Some hints:
    Do one nail at a time if that is what it takes.
    Be confident and hold them firmly.
    Let them be in THEIR most comfortable position (this will be the position where they squirm the least)
    Get help. 4 hands are better than 2
    Find a mobile groomer that is willing to come to the house, or if you are on good terms with the staff at your vet maybe one of the techs might be willing to hmake a house call (they will all know how to handle her)

Hope this helps at least a little.

Thanks for the advice! My only problem is Boo Boo doesn't like to be held I'm slowly getting her to trust me holding her next to my sliding glass door..providing I don't open it she won't freak out on me...I will try the one nail at a time though and if that doesn't work then I'm going with the mobile groomer. But the only thing that concerns me with the mobile groomer is Boo hides under the bed when ANYONE comes over. Just someone knocking at the door sends her running. My poor baby is so not friendly til she gets to know the person.
    Well maybe I can get in touch with the organization I adopted her from, seeing as how the lady use to work for that vet office I took her to..and see if maybe she would be willing to help me out on this. I don't have a big choice when it comes time for her shots but if I can avoid the nail clipping tramatic ride for her I'm willing to try anything. Thanks again!
    Boo

Just so you don't feel so alone in your problem, get this:

I have groomed pet for over 18 years, I have had over 20 cats in the past 20 or so years, I went to college majoring in animal science.....blah, blah, blah......and I STILL have a cat whose nails I cannot do myself. He also does not like to be held.

As for hiding, you should find her and keep her confined before the appointment time so she cannot run and hide. It may seem a bit cruel, but it will not hurt her to be confined even for a few hours if that is necessary. I have had several cats (and still do, that need to be "captured" WAY before the time they need to go to the vet so that I do not miss the appointment because of that very reason.

You may be able to have the claws clipped each year DURING her yearly exam at the vet's and then 6 months later. That way it is only 2 times a year. If her claws can wait that long, that is what I would do. (some grow faster than others, so you will need to decide how often based on HER)

Thanks again Jen Her yearly shots and all rolls around on Feb. 18th, I'm going to try and clip them myself between now and then and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get too long to where they grow into her skin and all. She has a very nice condo/scratching post which she uses everyday instead of my sofa (thank god for that )
    Well I sure wish I knew how to post a pic of her on here...I have alot of pics of her on my computer I just don't know how to get it to here..

Thanks again Jen
    Boo

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Clipping nails

It takes the 2 of us in our house to clip the cats nails. Here's what we do. One of us wraps the kitty up in a towel and holds her gently in our arms like a baby. The other clips the nails.

After 17 years, Kuhio got where she's just stretch out her paw and let us do it without all that hassle but the 2 new kitties aren't used to it yet so we do it this way.

Halo's back nails never need clipping but Cammie's look like eagle talons. They get a little squirmy, but usally put up with it.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I had to teach Bastet that claw clipping was ok. I did a claw - she got a treat - it took me 6 months to where I could do a whole paw without her letting out this heart rending yowl and struggle like I was hurting her.

8 months down the track though I can do both her front paws and one of her back paws without the yowl and without giving a treat for each nail. She still gets a treat though
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Thanks all for the advice, I will be trying it all..Umm BastetsMum there is only one problem with the treat thing with Boo...when mommy wakes up..Boo gets num nums...before mommy goes to work Boo gets treats..when mommy gets home from work Boo gets treats..When Boo keeps meowing and jumps in her condo and won't shuddaup Boo gets treats...LOL do ya see where I'm going with this? She is like a squirrel saving for the winter..LOL she has a pile of treats in her condo for those days I'm late getting home or I just say NO!
    Yes she's very much so spoiled rotten but luckly she lets me stay here with her so what more can I ask for?
    Boo

I don't really have any thing to add. All of those are great suggestions. If I ever get to the point that I can hold Joey, I may try a few of the suggestions. She will sit in my lap, but if she feel confined or held in any way, she is otta there. So at this point we go to the vet evey 4 to 6 months. Which is bad enough.

What I really want to say was to BastetsMum. I am impressed by your patience and fortitude. I tried to trim Bob's nail a couple of times and you would think that I was killing him.

I gave up, my vet is only a 5 minute drive and while Bob does really enjoy the car, he is at least a good kitty about going. We head down every month or 2 and have it done.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Welcome to Pet Talk Boogirl. I don't really have any advice either.
    I've tried to trim Storm's and Sunny's nails before and they weren't very good boys. Storm kept trying to bite me and Sunny is a little wiggle worm. Now I take Storm, Sunny, and Sky to a groomer about every 6-8 weeks. They are angels there and the staff loves them. Sky will try to play with everyone so he's the hardest to clip and they only charge $9.00 per cat. If I took them to my vet it would cost at least $16.00 or so. It may be more expensive by now.

Unfortunately I can't take Cirrus to the groomer because he's so scared that they thought he was going to have a heart attack. They recommended that I give him sedatives but my problem is that I can't even pill him and he's too smart to fall for the pill hidden in the food trick. So the only way he's going to get his nails trimmed is when he's at the vets because I don't want to stress him out more than I have to. Hopefully a nail trim once a year will be enough.

Well gang thanks sooo much for all the wonderful advice..Yesterday I managed to clip ONE front nail before Boo Boo decided she wasn't having anymore done..but hey its a start! she seems to want to rub her scent all over the nail clippers so I'm gonna let her bond with it more then maybe go for for another nail next Monday or Tuesday.
    Boo

slow but steady wins the race.

With Wobbles...we gave up trimming her nails. Even with two people and a towel, it was impossible. On the rare occasions she goes to the vet to have it done, it takes two techs and the vet to do it.

I figure its not worth the trauma. She doesn't claw furniture or anything, so its just as well.