Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I live in the strangest state, I swear.

I live in the strangest state, I swear.

My son is, as I type this, over at our neighbor's house watching them skin a bison they shot this weekend.

Where else in the country is that entertainment on a Sunday night?

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

You need to come to Kentucky!!!

LOL .. do you have bison skinning parties there, complete with spotlights and chainsaws?

My son keeps running back over to give me latest account of the festivites.

Actually, I've been to Kentucky ... but it seemed normal, so I'm sure I wasn't in the right places.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Try here in Montana You add Elk and moose and its a typical at my place (couple years ago) hubby had a taxidermy shop. Thank goodness it's closed I get to see him now with out being covered in yuk

what, no cable service?

As gross as this sounds...

Your son will never starve and he will appreciate the
    'work' is takes to farm his hamburgers.

we have taken away the schooling in practical matters
    and emphasized getting on top of the pile.

it's not entertainment.

it's education.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    what, no cable service?

it's not entertainment.

it's education.
    Oh, he's educated already. He's old enough for a hunting license of his own now, but he's been going on hunting trips since he was a little boy. I don't have a problem with hunting, if you eat what you kill. Trophy hunters tick me off to no end. I just thought it was funny that the whole neighborhood is hanging around over there, just like for a barbeque.

You get people doing white-tailed deer here. Infact, there's a course in my school that teaches you how to hunt/skin deer. I think it's gross because very time you walk onto the schoolgrounds you see students skinning deer with blood and fur everywhere. It smells so gross.
    I've been BOO'd!

I agree one hudred % . They even have a HOOKED on Fishing program here that they take the kids out and lend them poles and teach them how to fish. I work with a disabled program for adults on fishing and hunting . We give the kids a BBQ at the end of the school year.

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    I don't have a problem with hunting, if you eat what you kill.

I agree 100% !!

You should come to Williamsport. We all gather round Sheetz to socialize. You go after 10:00 and there are about 20 to 30 people standing outside with Coffy.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I agree that hunting is good if you make good use of what you hunt. I'd never want to hunt myself, however.

I can see myself. Just shot a deer. "Now what do I do?"

I'd really like to find a place where I can buy deer though. I'll be doing homecooked on my dogs when I move out and deer would be a great every-once-in-a-while kind of thing. I'm just not sure where I can get it. Anyone here buy deer meat?
    I've been BOO'd!

Can't say that I see much of that here. Once when I was younger I did see a deer strung up and being skinned. It was pretty disgusting.

Robin

we have some farms here that raise deer just for commercail meat . Look up M&S meats they carry venison. I may have to go buy some 4 hunters and no has gotten any thing now it's bucks only till the end at thanks giving.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I'd really like to find a place where I can buy deer though. I'll be doing homecooked on my dogs when I move out and deer would be a great every-once-in-a-while kind of thing. I'm just not sure where I can get it. Anyone here buy deer meat?
    We shopped for it on the off-season at Central Market for Chester and it was outrageously priced. Like $90.00 a lb!

Might be more reasonably priced now. My boss usually gives me a good stash.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    what, no cable service?

it's not entertainment.

it's education.
    Just wanted to add a ditto to this. Yea, it is gross, but it is an education that may help him in the future.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Originally posted by Corinna
    we have some farms here that raise deer just for commercail meat . Look up M&S meats they carry venison. I may have to go buy some 4 hunters and no has gotten any thing now it's bucks only till the end at thanks giving.
    Thanks for responding! Do you mean M&M meats? We have an M&M meats right across the road from us, so I hope that's what you mean LOL.

Micki -- Wow, that's alot!! Isn't a lb only 2 cups? I hope I can find venison for cheaper than that. It's why I said an every-once-in-a-while thing though; because I knew it wasn't going to be cheap and dandy.
    I've been BOO'd!